Geno on ND's Turner | The Boneyard

Geno on ND's Turner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After Maryland & anticipating ND, Holly Rowe asked Geno, "[paraphrasing...ND's big post player Breanna Turner didn't play in your win over ND in December. She'll play Tuesday. Your thoughts?]"

Yeah, said Geno with a tiny smile. My thought is Moriah Jefferson did not score a single point and fouled out of that game.

Nice to be reminded of Moriah's late-December metamorphosis into one of the best point guards in the country.

Reaction Score
If situation was reversed would we feel comfortable knowing that our Freshman post player was expected to be the difference between winning and losing? She may be good but she is inexperienced and does not play a position like Stewie where she has the ball in her hands alot.

HGN

Reaction Score
That Geno.........I love him.... Since Holly Rowe wanted to be in the reminding business , it was good for Geno to remind her that MoJeff was out of that game as well for all practical purposes. I would rather hang my hat on a proven AA in a high stakes game like this rather than an inexperienced freshman. I heard Holly ask Geno the question after the Maryland game and he did indeed smile. And afterwards say he felt good about the upcoming game.

Should be a good matchup between Reimer vs Tuck ; and Turner vs Stewie. I'm going to run with the big dogs again . My money is on the Huskies.

Reaction Score
That Geno....I love him.... Since Holly Rowe wanted to be in the reminding business , it was good for Geno to remind her that MoJeff was out of that game as well for all practical purposes. I would rather hang my hat on a proven AA in a high stakes game like this rather than an inexperienced freshman. I heard Holly ask Geno the question after the Maryland game and he did indeed smile. And afterwards say he felt good about the upcoming game.

Should be a good matchup between Reimer vs Tuck ; and Turner vs Stewie. I'm going to run with the big dogs again . My money is on the Huskies.
Tuck will have Reimer for dinner and yes, Turner is a freshman. Doesn't bode well for the Irish.

T

TroyHouse66

HGN
<<Nope. ....Straight up.:)>>

Aye, lad.
We'll have them.. like H'irish whiskey...
Straight oop!!
(n' mool-t'ipple shots)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
What IS the spread? I read somewhee 11.5. Is it actually 17?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Notre Dame should be significantly better in the post with Turner and a more aggressive Taya Reimer. Defensively, Turner changes things inside, but I don't think Tuck can be slowed down by Taya.

Few things that stick out from last game that probably will not be repeated:
1. Stewart and Jefferson shoot a combined 3-20
2. Notre Dame's front court scores only 9 points
3. Stokes/Tuck/Stewart combine for more rebounds than Notre Dame as a team
4. Loyd takes 27 shots
5. Maybrey goes 0-7
6. 24 team turnovers for Connecticut
7. UCONN outscores Notre Dame by 30 over a 23 minute stretch

Should be a more competitive game, but I think UCONN rolls.

Reaction Score
Agree with a lot of the comments already posted. Let us not forget that Mo will guard Allen leaving Nurse (a freshman) guarding Lloyd. I am hoping our guards do not get into foul trouble.

GO UCONN!!!!

Reaction Score
That Geno....I love him.... Since Holly Rowe wanted to be in the reminding business , it was good for Geno to remind her that MoJeff was out of that game as well for all practical purposes. I would rather hang my hat on a proven AA in a high stakes game like this rather than an inexperienced freshman. I heard Holly ask Geno the question after the Maryland game and he did indeed smile. And afterwards say he felt good about the upcoming game.

I would put Stewie on Reimer and Tuck on Turner. If you can body up Turner and keep her off the glass I think you can contain her. Reimer has been very good the second half and is willing to shoot the mid range shot or drive. ND won't even look at Turner at the foul line let alone pass her the ball. I think Reimer can shoot over Tuck but not Stewie and or Stokes. Tuck needs to be physical with Turner and box out. Stewie probably has to look for Turner when ND runs but switch back in the half court. Depending on how Lloyd is doing and foul trouble I think Gabby maybe worth trying on Lloyd. Last time when we played to deny Lloyd's ability to get the ball it really disrupted their offense. I probably use Nurse to start and see what she can do so Mo Jeff is fresher and out of foul trouble. Lastly play Cable and Mabrey, tight outside and dare them to drive. I hate when defenders back up a step so they can't be beat off the dribble because great shooters only need a little space to get off a shot.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Notre Dame should be significantly better in the post with Turner and a more aggressive Taya Reimer. Defensively, Turner changes things inside, but I don't think Tuck can be slowed down by Taya.

In retrospect, Stewart/Tuck/Stokes vs. December Reimer/Wright/Westbeld was a staggeringly large advantage for UConn in the 1st game.

Stewart/Tuck/Stokes vs. April Reimer/Turner/Westbeld is still a sizable advantage to UConn but at least this ND frontcourt belongs on the same court with the Huskies. December's did not.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
In retrospect, Stewart/Tuck/Stokes vs. December Reimer/Wright/Westbeld was a staggeringly large advantage for UConn in the 1st game.

Stewart/Tuck/Stokes vs. April Reimer/Turner/Westbeld is still a sizable advantage to UConn but at least this ND frontcourt belongs on the same court with the Huskies. December's did not.

Turner is a game changer in the post for Notre Dame. Reimer is also light years better than she was the first time around. I also don't see Stokes grabbing 18 rebounds. That said, Stewart will be a lot better, Tuck will still be fantastic and I still think it's a large advantage for Connecticut. If Notre Dame is going to pull off the upset, they'll need Taya and Turner to be huge.

Reaction Score

UCONN still has an enormous advantage in the post. ND is going with a soph and a frosh as starters. Reimer is too slow to guard Stewie and sadly to say for ND - Tuck has gotten better as well. I'm big on experience -- our one hole is the frosh Kia Nurse. If I'm ND -- I'd leave her wide open - dare her to beat me. That is the only way I can see ND slowing us down. The other way they can win is outscoring us in which they are very hot from the outside. Or the other way is to get a crucial player or two in foul trouble. Tuck an Stewie are too superior for ND this year especially that UCONN won't have a 21 minute MoJeff therefore over 35-40 minutes we'll have oru offense at its optimum which wasn't close at ND - not to mention ND had an advantage playing at home. Thus highly doubtful Stewie goes 3-12 like she did last game.

I don't see the game as a blowout. One is ND's guards are excellent - it's hard to blow out a team with excellent guard play. And secondly - like in the MD game - any significant lead - the refs will make calls to try to narrow the discrepancy of calls. Despite what Doris Burke said- she was wrong - I cringe having to listen to her anyways-- MD got gift calls. I'm going off-topic here -- but you know -- if UCONN has 4 1st team all-American's as Doris suggested-- and a lot of their game is inside-- then wouldn't it stand to reason they are going to get fouled a lot more? And that play where their guard threw her body into Stokes while her back was turned to the basket and yet Doris thought it was a good call (along with the Stewie hack she didn't think was a foul) was mind-boggling.

This is the 1st time Turner is going to face an offense for post players as a combination of talent and diverse as ours.

And here is a hope:: Who knows maybe this game we'll see Stokes score some points!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22