Geno on Napheesa not on Naismith list, other stuff | The Boneyard

Geno on Napheesa not on Naismith list, other stuff

Reaction Score
The four finalists were chosen by the Atlanta Tipoff Club’s national voting academy, comprised of leading journalists from around the country, current and former head coaches, former award winners and conference commissioners, all of whom base their selections on outstanding on-court performances during the 2018-19 college basketball season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno and Lou could go on the road: " I didn’t have any intention of taking her out, but just in case she came over during one free throw and stood next to me and she said ‘In case you were wondering, I’m good. I’m not coming out.’ I said ‘OK, anything else you want to tell me that I should know?’”

Reaction Score
I am all in favor of Pheesa being a finalist but what I have a hard time with is this: with all of the Conference Players Of The Year in the NCAA, why would a non-POY be a Finalist?
I don't know how close the ACC POY voting was but I find it odd that being #2 in your conference and then possibly being voted the National POY is just wrong.

Reaction Score
The four finalists were chosen by the Atlanta Tipoff Club’s national voting academy, comprised of leading journalists from around the country, current and former head coaches, former award winners and conference commissioners, all of whom base their selections on outstanding on-court performances during the 2018-19 college basketball season.

So fair to say you think they made the correct decision leaving Naphessa off the finalist list?

Note: While I agree with Geno's sentiment I don't necessarily with his argument, I think Gustafson is definitely more valuable to Iowa and probably Durr to Louisville, than Collier is to UConn.

Reaction Score
So fair to say you think they made the correct decision leaving Naphessa off the finalist list?

Note: While I agree with Geno's sentiment I don't necessarily with his argument, I think Gustafson is definitely more valuable to Iowa and probably Durr to Louisville, than Collier is to UConn.
No, I don't agree with leaving Pheesa off the list. I was answering Geno's question: "Who votes for these awards??" The award doesn't indicate the most Valuable. It vaguely calls it Player of the Year.

Reaction Score
Napheesa is more important to UConn by far than Durr is to Louisville. Napheesa can do everything Durr can do, except shoot as many threes, and then some.

Reaction Score

Opinions are opinions. Your NOTE: Personally I believe Uconn needs Collier more than any other player on this team. While she has been stopped, her scoring and rebounding and basket defense is the best on the team. No stats, just observation.
I do believe Durr and Gustafson are needed by those teams to succeed .I believe this year Uconn will only go as far as Collier will take them.

Reaction Score
Interesting to note that Napheesa is our lowest ranked recruit in the starting line up, but perhaps the MVP:

KLS - #1 class of 2015
Megan - #1 class of 2017
CW - #1 class of 2018
Crystal - #3 class of 2016
Collier - #6 class of 2015

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
VORP stands for Value Over a Replacement Player. It's similar to WAR if you're a baseball fan.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Interesting to note that Napheesa is our lowest ranked recruit in the starting line up, but perhaps the MVP:

KLS - #1 class of 2015
Megan - #1 class of 2017
CW - #1 class of 2018
Crystal - #3 class of 2016
Collier - #6 class of 2015
Zandalasini was #4 and Salvadores was #5. If you take out the foreigners, Pheesa was #4.

This is the top 10, excluding Salvadores and Zandalasini. A pretty good list:

Samuelson
Durr
Shepard
Collier
Higgs
Anigwe
Lambert
Ogunbowale
Brown
Cooper

Reaction Score
Interesting that Lou was 5th in win shares despite all that she has been through with injuries this year. Ahead of a number of POY candidates.

Reaction Score
Is Pheesa getting shut out of every national award? That is just ridiculous if so.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Further in the linked article

NCAA Women’s Basketball Player of the Year Candidates by Win Shares

1553743321704.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads