Geno on Last Year's Loss: 'It was time' | The Boneyard

Geno on Last Year's Loss: 'It was time'

Reaction Score
This is silly:
Well, one, I’ve always known this, and it’s common sense. The more you keep winning, the closer you’re getting to your next loss, because you can’t win forever.
Right: you can't win forever, but you have no idea how long it is until the next loss. It could be the game before forever. Someone is going to toss heads one million times in a row; might as well be you. And UConn's game is the further thing from a coin toss.

This is the truth:
“So the way that game was played out – and we botched that last possession that we had,” Auriemma continued, speaking about the 2017 tournament. “We did a terrible job coming out of that timeout coaching-wise, playing-wise, everything.
Well, yeah. So the streak could have gone on, right?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
as we all knew... UConn was "suppose" to lose a few games last season

Reaction Score
This is silly:
Well, one, I’ve always known this, and it’s common sense. The more you keep winning, the closer you’re getting to your next loss, because you can’t win forever.
Right: you can't win forever, but you have no idea how long it is until the next loss. It could be the game before forever. Someone is going to toss heads one million times in a row; might as well be you. And UConn's game is the further thing from a coin toss.

This is the truth:
“So the way that game was played out – and we botched that last possession that we had,” Auriemma continued, speaking about the 2017 tournament. “We did a terrible job coming out of that timeout coaching-wise, playing-wise, everything.
Well, yeah. So the streak could have gone on, right?

If "It was time" really means "I screwed up at the end" then I agree.

Reaction Score
I don't think Geno screwed up at the end. He screwed up at the beginning when Mississippi St went on the big run to go up 16. He should have called a timeout when down 8 or 10 to stop the momentum and to let UConn take a breth and regroup.

I believe that most of the people on this board watched Notre Dame - Oregon on Monday. If I remember correctly, Muffett McGraw called 2 timeouts within about 2 minutes of each other to get her team back on focus and it worked.

Reaction Score
This is the truth:

Well you read it here first on the Boneyard, in the hours and days immediately following the game.

Actually you HEARD it first from Dave and Doris, only they didn't harp on it the way some here did (including me :rolleyes:).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If "It was time" really means "I screwed up at the end" then I agree.
I don't think Geno screwed up at the end. He screwed up at the beginning when Mississippi St went on the big run to go up 16. He should have called a timeout when down 8 or 10 to stop the momentum and to let UConn take a breth and regroup.
Guys, guys, no need to break the Boneyard's "No Squabbling" rule.* You can both be right.

* That's a rule, right Nan? If not, at the next Board of Trustees, I move we pass the "No Squabbling" rule. Can I get a second?

Reaction Score
Really, what's the point? Analyzing everything Geno says for inconsistencies or logic is a fool's errand. He manages to contradict himself or say odd stuff regularly. Mostly he's on target, usually incisive, sometimes his comments are tweaking the questioner (or the situation) and sometimes it just leaves you scratching your head. Big deal.

Reaction Score
Well you read it here first on the Boneyard, in the hours and days immediately following the game.

Actually you HEARD it first from Dave and Doris, only they didn't harp on it the way some here did (including me :rolleyes:).
I remember Doris stating that if someone didn't knock off UConn , they might not lose for 4 more years. Then after the game she disappeared completely. I personally don't miss her constant insistence of " the good non call " . How convenient. To me, if a player is shooting , and there is enough contact to alter the shot , either the defensive player was in position for a charge, or the player shooting goes to the line, IMO.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I believe that most of the people on this board watched Notre Dame - Oregon on Monday. If I remember correctly, Muffett McGraw called 2 timeouts within about 2 minutes of each other to get her team back on focus and it worked.

Chong touching the ball at all in that situation was a major mistake.

Not making it clear that it's a one shot offense is a mistake on someone's part.

The ball not going to only player who played well, at all (Gabby), was a mistake.

Having Chong in for the last defensive possession was probably a mistake. go with the size (to prevent an offensive rebound) and put gabby on either Vivians or Itty Bitty.

It would've been fun to be going for 200.

It would've been different if a better team just beat them. They gave that one away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom