Geno on Kiah and KML In The WNBA | The Boneyard

Geno on Kiah and KML In The WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To Geno Auriemma, it isn’t what number pick in the WNBA Draft one of his University of Connecticut players is that determines whether they’ll have an opportunity to be successful. It’s about what team they end up with.

When Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis was taken by the Seattle Storm with the third overall pick and Kiah Stokes was selected by the New York Liberty with the 11th overall pick — making them the 15th and 16th Huskies chosen in the first round — in last month’s draft, Auriemma was excited for them.

[LINK] to article.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Four years at UConn under the tutelage of Geno and Chris Daley, has prepared these ladies like no none of the other recruits in this year's class. The surroundings will be different, the players and coaches will be unfamiliar, but the court and the balls will be the same. How much success KML has will depend on how they choose to incorporate her into the offense. She's not going to forget how to shoot the ball. The speed of the game at the next level is not that much faster than at the collegiate level. We'll see if some adjustments need to be made.

It's been said that Kiah Stokes' lack of offense at UConn, was because of personal preference. They wanted her to be more productive on the offensive end, but she refused to buy in. She failed to show the willingness or desire to become a integral part of their offence. She said all of the right things in interviews, but never became the force on offense many believe she could have been. They never ran plays for Kiah. They never looked for her on offense. Opponents knew they didn't have to guard her when she was away from the basket. She never drove to the basket. She never took a three. She seldom took a midrange shot. This will change. She is now being paid for her services. This creates a whole new dynamic. They will demand that she bring her offensive skill set up to acceptable WNBA levels. I have no doubt that she is capable. I think her lack of offense was all mental. At the end of the season last year, she said that she was going to work on her offense over the summer, and build up her confidence. My question is how can a player that's been in school and playing for 3 years, still be lacking in confidence? I'm a huge Stokes fan, and I hope she turns the page and becomes an offensive juggernaut. It can happen, but it's not going to happen overnight. I wish both of these ladies all the best in their new endeavors.

Reaction Score
I will be interested in seeing how effectively Lambeer and his associate have in making Kiah a scorer in the WNBA. Kiah has the talent, the body and the intelligence to be as great as anyone wants. I loved the Hartley comments about KML--great teammate.
As usual thank YOU JavaMan.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kaleena can learn from Sue and Renee. Kiah can learn from Tina and Swin.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Kiah has taken a 3... or two and actually made one (I think)

Reaction Score
Basic story, it all depends on the coaching and team that former UConn players find themselves around. Our girls won't forget how to shoot, defend, pass, and rebound. It really comes down to how that coach uses those players within the team concept and how confident players become.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Basic story, it all depends on the coaching and team that former UConn players find themselves around. Our girls won't forget how to shoot, defend, pass, and rebound. It really comes down to how that coach uses those players within the team concept and how confident players become.

Looking back at the beginning of my blogging history here on the yard, YOU JellyBean, gave me my very first "like". I want to thank you very much. I appreciate it. :)

Reaction Score
Looking back at the beginning of my blogging history here on the yard, YOU JellyBean, gave me my very first "like". I want to thank you very much. I appreciate it. :)
Did you like JellyBean back, or are you a one-way liker? :)

Reaction Score
How much success KML has will depend on how they choose to incorporate her into the offense. She's not going to forget how to shoot the ball. The speed of the game at the next level is not that much faster than at the collegiate level. We'll see if some adjustments need to be made.

I wholeheartedly disagree. May I also add that the vicinity of the basket is no place for the faint of heart at the next level.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I wholeheartedly disagree. May I also add that the vicinity of the basket is no place for the faint of heart at the next level.

Exactly what do you disagree about? I've seen many WCBB games in person THIS year. I saw two UConn games last year. A Long Beach State game, a USCw game, and 6 UNLV games in person this year. I noted the speed of their fast breaks. I also saw about 10-15 WNBA (Sparks) games in person last year. I've been going to Sparks games for 12 years. The "speed of the game" reference is an opinion that was made from personal observation, not speculation, or observations made from TV.

I'm not new to the game. This is not my first rodeo. I've been playing (high school & college), watching, coaching and refereeing boys & girls basketball (from 8 yrs olds to high school) for well over 58 years. So I think I know a little something about the game. There is not an appreciable amount of difference in the speed of their games, especially when the pro teams were walking the ball up, or standing around, waiting for the clock to run down. I wrote my comments based on MY observations, not whatever your perceptions may be. I know what I see, and what I saw.

Obviously you see it differently. I'm OK with that. We don't see things the same. That's why the game has 3 referees..............different points of view and perception. The WNBA game IS a little faster, but not that much! The WNBA players don't move at light speed. The fact that YOU disagree with my comment does not discount its validity or my perception. I also don't understand your faint of heart reference. Explain please.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Exactly what do you disagree about? I've seen many WCBB games in person THIS year. I saw two UConn games last year. A Long Beach State game, a USCw game, and 6 UNLV games in person this year. I noted the speed of their fast breaks. I also saw about 10-15 WNBA (Sparks) games in person last year. I've been going to Sparks games for 12 years. The "speed of the game" reference is an opinion that was made from personal observation, not speculation, or observations made from TV.

I'm not new to the game. This is not my first rodeo. I've been playing (high school & college), watching, coaching and refereeing boys & girls basketball (from 8 yrs olds to high school) for well over 58 years. So I think I know a little something about the game. There is not an appreciable amount of difference in the speed of their games, especially when the pro teams were walking the ball up, or standing around, waiting for the clock to run down. I wrote my comments based on MY observations, not whatever your perceptions may be. I know what I see, and what I saw.

Obviously you see it differently. I'm OK with that. We don't see things the same. That's why the game has 3 referees....different points of view and perception. The WNBA game IS a little faster, but not that much! The WNBA players don't move at light speed. The fact that YOU disagree with my comment does not discount its validity or my perception. I also don't understand your faint of heart reference. Explain please.

Carnac- - - Your perception is not wrong, it's what you've seen and understand but last WNBA season, toward the playoffs, there was a tape of KML and the guy asst. for Seattle talking about how it's been taking most of the season for KML to get used to the style and speed of the pro game and she went through a lack of confidence in "her" game. She said she's never faced the uncertainty that she's faced with Seattle!
They showed him and KML working out before and after practice on moving with and without the ball, getting her hands in a spot to receive and shoot. She didn't earn many minutes until the last 1/3 of the season or so. She said "the light came on and everything clicked" and she was finally having some success! He said she just was a second off in timing and had to re-learn all the skills she's been practicing all these years. She laughed and said it was nice not to be as terrible as she thought she had become and still had "it"!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Carnac- - - Your perception is not wrong, it's what you've seen and understand but last WNBA season, toward the playoffs, there was a tape of KML and the guy asst. for Seattle talking about how it's been taking most of the season for KML to get used to the style and speed of the pro game and she went through a lack of confidence in "her" game. She said she's never faced the uncertainty that she's faced with Seattle!
They showed him and KML working out before and after practice on moving with and without the ball, getting her hands in a spot to receive and shoot. She didn't earn many minutes until the last 1/3 of the season or so. She said "the light came on and everything clicked" and she was finally having some success! He said she just was a second off in timing and had to re-learn all the skills she's been practicing all these years. She laughed and said it was nice not to be as terrible as she thought she had become and still had "it"!

RSHERMVIKES - Jelly Bean said "Basic story, it all depends on the coaching and team that former UConn players find themselves around. Our girls won't forget how to shoot, defend, pass, and rebound. It really comes down to how that coach uses those players within the team concept and how confident players become".

I commented to his post by saying: "How much success KML has will depend on how they choose to incorporate her into the offense. She's not going to forget how to shoot the ball. The speed of the game at the next level is not that much faster than at the collegiate level". We'll see if some adjustments need to be made". I don't know what VAUConnFan's arguement is. That's why I asked for clarification. I acknowledged that the speed of the WNBA is a little faster, but not so much that a rookie coming up from college can't make the adjustment. As I said, they're NOT playing the game at break-neck speed at that level. Everybody in the WNBA is not a thoroughbred. You've got a few players that are not sprinters, but are still able to play at that level regardless. We all (that follow the WNBA) know who they are.

I wrote this before before the season began. Before it was suggested that KML had a lost some of her confidence. I (we) had no way of knowing she was going to have difficulty adjusting to play at that level.
I followed her that entire season. I went to the team web-site, and read all of the articles from the local paper that I could find featuring her. I have my own ideas on what happened based on what the coach was saying, and what the media (beat) writers were saying. Its interesting that AFTER the season became lost, KML got more playing time, and somehow was now able to play, and responded positively. I think a veteran WNBA coach would have handled her much differently than her first year coach did.

Which goes back to Jelly Bean's, and my comment on how the team chooses to use her within the scope of the over-all team concept. I also left myself some wiggle room by adding the statement" We'll see if some changes need to be made". There were changes that needed to be made. Those were true statements. There were other teams that KML could have gone to, where she would not have had to endure the drama she did in Seattle. She may not have started, but she would NOT have had to sit on the bench game in and game out. If Seattle released her tonight, she'd be picked up by a team before noon tomorrow (its 10:16 pm pst). Let's not kid our selves. KML can play at that level. I can't wait to see the Storm in their first game. I want to see KML, and I want to see Stewie.

This is just my own personal opinion........I would not be surprised that if KML could leave Seattle and go to another team, she would. I'm guessing she's not real happy there. I could be wrong. We'll see how things work out this season.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
This is just my own personal opinion...I would not be surprised that if KML could leave Seattle and go to another team, she would. I'm guessing she's not real happy there. I could be wrong. We'll see how things work out this season.

I know you're "Carnac" and all but what makes you guess (see) that after one season in Seattle? (especially with Bird... and a young "up and coming" Loyd, along with Stewie)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
KML seemed to really connect with that assistant coach who was working with her a lot outside of team time - that is not that 'standard' a situation in the pro game and something she might not have gotten with another team. I suspect she is 'really happy' to be returning to Seattle this year having begun to figure the pro game out and her place in the schemes Seattle runs. There are not a lot of rookies that thrive in the WNBA - Loyd who won ROY didn't exactly light it up last year. It takes most a year or two to really adapt and thrive. Stewart and Jefferson may do better, but they were seen as better prospects coming out of college than KML and their personal attributes are such that they will stand out amongst pros - Stewart is still 'freakish' and Moriah is still one of the fastest and quickest in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
RSHERMVIKES - Jelly Bean said "Basic story, it all depends on the coaching and team that former UConn players find themselves around. Our girls won't forget how to shoot, defend, pass, and rebound. It really comes down to how that coach uses those players within the team concept and how confident players become".

I commented to his post by saying: "How much success KML has will depend on how they choose to incorporate her into the offense. She's not going to forget how to shoot the ball. The speed of the game at the next level is not that much faster than at the collegiate level"
. We'll see if some adjustments need to be made". I don't know what VAUConnFan's arguement is. That's why I asked for clarification. I acknowledged that the speed of the WNBA is a little faster, but not so much that a rookie coming up from college can't make the adjustment. As I said, they're NOT playing the game at break-neck speed at that level. Everybody in the WNBA is not a thoroughbred. You've got a few players that are not sprinters, but are still able to play at that level regardless. We all (that follow the WNBA) know who they are.

I wrote this before before the season began. Before it was suggested that KML had a lost some of her confidence. I (we) had no way of knowing she was going to have difficulty adjusting to play at that level.
I followed her that entire season. I went to the team web-site, and read all of the articles from the local paper that I could find featuring her. I have my own ideas on what happened based on what the coach was saying, and what the media (beat) writers were saying. Its interesting that AFTER the season became lost, KML got more playing time, and somehow was now able to play, and responded positively. I think a veteran WNBA coach would have handled her much differently than her first year coach did.

Which goes back to Jelly Bean's, and my comment on how the team chooses to use her within the scope of the over-all team concept. I also left myself some wiggle room by adding the statement" We'll see if some changes need to be made". There were changes that needed to be made. Those were true statements. There were other teams that KML could have gone to, where she would not have had to endure the drama she did in Seattle. She may not have started, but she would NOT have had to sit on the bench game in and game out. If Seattle released her tonight, she'd be picked up by a team before noon tomorrow (its 10:16 pm pst). Let's not kid our selves. KML can play at that level. I can't wait to see the Storm in their first game. I want to see KML, and I want to see Stewie.

This is just my own personal opinion...I would not be surprised that if KML could leave Seattle and go to another team, she would. I'm guessing she's not real happy there. I could be wrong. We'll see how things work out this season.

Carnac- - - I was NOT attacking you or your perception of KML's situation! I didn't realize your post was written early in the WNBA season. I enjoy reading your posts, I was just bringing in this great video showing how hard KML and the Asst. Coach at Seattle was working to bring back and treek her game to get her more playing time to help the team! She was having major problems and was frustrated that HER game didn't produce. It was neat that Coaches & Management still believed in KML and that she would definitely help the team. And at the end she was ripping it up and got major minutes! There is NO doubt in my mind KML loves her situation in Seattle and with UCONN alums, Bird, Renee, & Stewie she will enjoy it even more!
I was so disappointed that Jewel got the rookie of the Year! There was no doubt in any sane mind that K. Stokes had added more to the NY Liberty and helped guide them to the Division Championship! It was decided before the season started by "the talking suits" that Jewel was going to be the RoY no matter what! Publicity-wise ESPN geared the season to Jewel coming out an being THE STAR, so they weren't giving the RoY to anyone else than her!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't know - Kaleena doesn't sound unhappy to me. She knows there's an adjustment going from one level to another and she's willing to put in the work to do what's necessary.

I definitely have to work on changing speeds, changing direction, being a lot more crafy, to get the defender off of you,” KML said. “Especially rookie year, you have to learn as many tricks as you can from the people who have been here a while.

“I’ve been watching and been taking notes and soaking everything in.”

To her credit, Mosqueda-Lewis has been keeping a notebook. She said she is constantly writing things down, whether it is during scouting sessions or just things somebody tells her or things she sees on the court

And the Seattle coach is "handling" Kaleena just fine. There are weaknesses to KML's game of which she and the coach are aware and both are working on them. There was no benefit in playing Kaleena before she was ready.

I’m very pleased with her progress,” Boucek said. “It’s just a matter of catching her up, mostly defensively. We’ve got a couple of other good players at that spot, but she’s on the right track and she’s progressing.”

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't know - Kaleena doesn't sound unhappy to me. She knows there's an adjustment going from one level to another and she's willing to put in the work to do what's necessary.

I definitely have to work on changing speeds, changing direction, being a lot more crafy, to get the defender off of you,” KML said. “Especially rookie year, you have to learn as many tricks as you can from the people who have been here a while.

“I’ve been watching and been taking notes and soaking everything in.”

To her credit, Mosqueda-Lewis has been keeping a notebook. She said she is constantly writing things down, whether it is during scouting sessions or just things somebody tells her or things she sees on the court

And the Seattle coach is "handling" Kaleena just fine. There are weaknesses to KML's game of which she and the coach are aware and both are working on them. There was no benefit in playing Kaleena before she was ready.

I’m very pleased with her progress,” Boucek said. “It’s just a matter of catching her up, mostly defensively. We’ve got a couple of other good players at that spot, but she’s on the right track and she’s progressing.”
That is from about mid-season her rookie year at which point she was getting very few minutes of game time. She had played more than 9 minutes in three games by the end of July (10, 11, and 18) From August 8th on she had 2 games with under 11 minutes including 6 with more than 20 minutes. She was scoring 2.8 ppg in June and July and average 7.8 mpg in 13 games.
After the date of that article July 31 and a game on Aug 2 in which she played 2 minutes and scored zero points, she played 13 more games averaging 17.9 mpg and 9.2 ppg - doubling playing time and tripling her scoring.
Maybe she was a rookie figuring things out?! :eek::cool:

(The other stats are pretty similar first 13/last 13 games: rebounds 5/19, steals 2/4, assists 4/13, FT Made 4/10, 3s made 6/12, 2s made 8/36)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I've read the 4 above responces to my post. As I said, I could be wrong. We'll see. Stewie coming to Seattle could make her more at ease, and prove to have a calming effect on her. I'll have a better feel at the end of the season. Thanks for all of your responces. Your comments gave me food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom