Geno on Experimental Rules for Vanguard Game | The Boneyard

Geno on Experimental Rules for Vanguard Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It's going to be an interesting game. I will pick UCONN to win since they have a coach, and more players, familiar with the international rules.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Don't think this has been up before:

"We should have a wider lane," Auriemma said. "People say, 'How does that help Connecticut?' It doesn't help Connecticut. If you want to help Connecticut, make the lane narrower, then I stick (national player of the year Breanna Stewart) a foot from the basket and she dunks on you.

www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2015/11/03/why-uconn-is-playing-a-womens-exhibition-under-different-rules/75118914/
Why are "changes" always better? It not only happens in sports, but in almost every aspect of our culture. I just got through researching when Connecticut is "officially" going to celebrate Veterans Day. From what I can find, it is on Wednesday, November 11th. Many places in New York State are celebrating it on Monday, November 9th. How about all the changes in team mascot names?...NO more "Warriors," etc.
So many want to be politically correct, most often for publicity or to further their own ambitions.
I see no problem with the women's game; leave it alone!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Why are "changes" always better? It not only happens in sports, but in almost every aspect of our culture. I just got through researching when Connecticut is "officially" going to celebrate Veterans Day. From what I can find, it is on Wednesday, November 11th. Many places in New York State are celebrating it on Monday, November 9th. How about all the changes in team mascot names?...NO more "Warriors," etc.
So many want to be politically correct, most often for publicity or to further their own ambitions.
I see no problem with the women's game; leave it alone!
They aren't always better, but ... in basketball there are currently a whole variety of rules based on gender, age, nationality, and format. Trying to reduce the number of different sets of rules and equipment I think is a valid goal.
Additionally, sport for sport's sake is great, but at every level of organized sport there are significant expenses for venues to coaches to refs to travel, to ____. To defray that expense, having a paying audience either in attendance or through some form of broadcast is a big help, which makes sport a form of entertainment. Looking at that aspect, changes to rules that make it more enjoyable for the audience is a good idea - life before the shot clock used to get pretty boring, when the team with the lead went to the four corners and might pass away significant minutes at the ends of games - Princeton used to win games 36-32 (and still have a 50% shooting percentage.) Adding a shot clock made games a more enjoyable audience experience. Shortening the shot clock to what is used internationally could make it more enjoyable still.
Change can also be good - Memorial Day used to be May 30th which I happened to really like, but then it was changes to fall yearly on a Monday - guaranteeing a three day weekend instead of an strange midweek holiday three years out of seven. As a student I preferred the midweek, as an employee I definitely preferred the three day weekend.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
They aren't always better, but ... in basketball there are currently a whole variety of rules based on gender, age, nationality, and format. Trying to reduce the number of different sets of rules and equipment I think is a valid goal.
Additionally, sport for sport's sake is great, but at every level of organized sport there are significant expenses for venues to coaches to refs to travel, to ____. To defray that expense, having a paying audience either in attendance or through some form of broadcast is a big help, which makes sport a form of entertainment. Looking at that aspect, changes to rules that make it more enjoyable for the audience is a good idea - life before the shot clock used to get pretty boring, when the team with the lead went to the four corners and might pass away significant minutes at the ends of games - Princeton used to win games 36-32 (and still have a 50% shooting percentage.) Adding a shot clock made games a more enjoyable audience experience. Shortening the shot clock to what is used internationally could make it more enjoyable still.
Change can also be good - Memorial Day used to be May 30th which I happened to really like, but then it was changes to fall yearly on a Monday - guaranteeing a three day weekend instead of an strange midweek holiday three years out of seven. As a student I preferred the midweek, as an employee I definitely preferred the three day weekend.
Right..........lets lower the basket for women(as some propose). Then we can have more "fun" watching several women dunk!
And......add more tatoos, and let more women leave college early for the WNBA. Then, we have more equality between men and women. Let's also make the last Friday in December, Christmas. Then, workers would have another 3 day weekend!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Right.....lets lower the basket for women(as some propose). Then we can have more "fun" watching several women dunk!
And.add more tatoos, and let more women leave college early for the WNBA. Then, we have more equality between men and women. Let's also make the last Friday in December, Christmas. Then, workers would have another 3 day weekend!

I agree!! Let's go back to the OLD rules where the court was divided into three sections and women couldn't move amongst them. When you couldn't dribble... when state tournaments were banned. Or, how about when the NCAA refused to hold women's basketball tournaments or give scholarships to women... Ah, the good old days... I get misty just thinking of them.

Monte, seems to me you have confused change for change sake and change for the betterment of the game or world. I don't see folks tossing "Warrior' aside. I DO see folks tossing racist mascots aside. Not sure what upsets folks about that...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I agree!! Let's go back to the OLD rules where the court was divided into three sections and women couldn't move amongst them. When you couldn't dribble... when state tournaments were banned. Or, how about when the NCAA refused to hold women's basketball tournaments or give scholarships to women... Ah, the good old days... I get misty just thinking of them.

Monte, seems to me you have confused change for change sake and change for the betterment of the game or world. I don't see folks tossing "Warrior' aside. I DO see folks tossing racist mascots aside. Not sure what upsets folks about that...

But you forgot the bloomer and skirts ThisJustin! Way to go!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Saw a poster for the Wellesley crew from around 1900 - it was being hailed as a great exercise for posture and deportment, and the young ladies were in high necked blouses and ankle length skirts with healed shoes, and based on silhouettes were wearing corsets. Yes those were the days when proper ladies never sweated, they just glowed.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

You must be quite old. I don't remember the "good old days." I don't mind any change that has happened in basketball in the last 20 years, or so. Now, some are suggesting multiple changes to happen in the near future. I think some people are trying to change the successful women's game we know to coincide with the way that the international game is played.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Saw a poster for the Wellesley crew from around 1900 - it was being hailed as a great exercise for posture and deportment, and the young ladies were in high necked blouses and ankle length skirts with healed shoes, and based on silhouettes were wearing corsets. Yes those were the days when proper ladies never sweated, they just glowed.
And the parking lot was full of horse and buggies.

Reaction Score
You must be quite old. I don't remember the "good old days." I don't mind any change that has happened in basketball in the last 20 years, or so. Now, some are suggesting multiple changes to happen in the near future. I think some people are trying to change the successful women's game we know to coincide with the way that the international game is played.
You mean the international game where our pro players go to play in the 'real' basketball season so they can make a living? Just curious what your definition of "successful" is...

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
You mean the international game where our pro players go to play in the 'real' basketball season so they can make a living? Just curious what your definition of "successful" is...
Four straight NCAA Championships is Success. I'm on the site because I am a fan of Uconn women's Basketball. The majority of College basketball players do not play pro basketball. They get good diversified educations, and then seek Success in the workplace.

Reaction Score
Four straight NCAA Championships is Success. I'm on the site because I am a fan of Uconn women's Basketball. The majority of College basketball players do not play pro basketball. They get good diversified educations, and then seek Success in the workplace.
No argument that UCONN has been successful but, by and large, WBB hasn't "made it" yet. Most college programs struggle to get a few hundred people to come, and attendance is declining. Half the WNBA teams lost money last year and attendance declined. So, if getting the rules more in alignment with the international game could make the game more entertaining and possibly increase the fan appeal (among other things), then what's the big whoop? It's still going to basically be "basketball as we know it." And if UCONN is better than everyone else the "old" way, the same players and coaches are still going to be better than everyone else the "new" way.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
No argument that UCONN has been successful but, by and large, WBB hasn't "made it" yet. Most college programs struggle to get a few hundred people to come, and attendance is declining. Half the WNBA teams lost money last year and attendance declined. So, if getting the rules more in alignment with the international game could make the game more entertaining and possibly increase the fan appeal (among other things), then what's the big whoop? It's still going to basically be "basketball as we know it." And if UCONN is better than everyone else the "old" way, the same players and coaches are still going to be better than everyone else the "new" way.
Yeah, that makes sense.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Right.....lets lower the basket for women(as some propose). Then we can have more "fun" watching several women dunk!
And.add more tatoos, and let more women leave college early for the WNBA. Then, we have more equality between men and women. Let's also make the last Friday in December, Christmas. Then, workers would have another 3 day weekend!
blame the tats, or lack there of on CD... Gabby would love to show hers instead of that damn tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom