Geno On Christyn's First Game: Did She Play | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno On Christyn's First Game: Did She Play

Reaction Score
Sorry, but to me her upper body strength is far from WCBB ready. Liv's athleticism is as high or higher than any forward UConn has ever recruited. But strength and a little nasty streak could make her a great WCBB player, as well as the ability to run all night. Yeah, her conditioning also isn't WCBB ready. If you don't think so just wait until she has to play a junior or senior of equal size from another team and watch her get out muscled. Now, this ain't always going to be the case, but if it wasn't the case now she'd be first off the bench, mistakes and all.
I agree with your assessment. I'd like to be wrong more than right but she played well against a short Vanguard, her performance against nearly as tall bigs of OH St was less than I hoped for.
For certain, if Geno saw a glimmer of success or usefulness from Olivia he would have given her 20 minutes in the Oh St game just for the experience. What did she actually get? 2 minutes?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sorry, but to me her upper body strength is far from WCBB ready. Liv's athleticism is as high or higher than any forward UConn has ever recruited. But strength and a little nasty streak could make her a great WCBB player, as well as the ability to run all night. Yeah, her conditioning also isn't WCBB ready. If you don't think so just wait until she has to play a junior or senior of equal size from another team and watch her get out muscled. Now, this ain't always going to be the case, but if it wasn't the case now she'd be first off the bench, mistakes and all.

You may be right, but I don't think we have enough to tell whether she is ready or lacking in upper body strength. A lot of it is grip strength and hand speed.

Reaction Score
I have never been a fan of over hyping players coming out of high school. Playing at the next level is n entirely different animal. Some players hit their peak earlier than others. Stewie was a hyped player coming out of high school that appeared to have difficulties early in the season. But did she really have difficulties for a freshman? Or was it just that she was not living up to unrealistic expectations? As it turned out in her case she hadn't even scratched her eventual potential and her difficulties was just a temporary adjustment to college.

As I stated I am not a fan of hyping players even if they show ever sign of being the best player in the world. Players will become what the will become and are not helped by hype. They can however be hindered by it. I personally would think it would be better to give conservative estimates for players. If for what ever reason they do not reach or come close to others expectations of themselves they would be less apt to think of themselves as failures. The thing is that the hype might have set up an unrealistic ceiling that despite excellent effort could never be reached.

Why can't we just wait and see and be happy with what ever transpires.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I have never been a fan of over hyping players coming out of high school. Playing at the next level is n entirely different animal. Some players hit their peak earlier than others. Stewie was a hyped player coming out of high school that appeared to have difficulties early in the season. But did she really have difficulties for a freshman? Or was it just that she was not living up to unrealistic expectations? As it turned out in her case she hadn't even scratched her eventual potential and her difficulties was just a temporary adjustment to college.

As I stated I am not a fan of hyping players even if they show ever sign of being the best player in the world. Players will become what the will become and are not helped by hype. They can however be hindered by it. I personally would think it would be better to give conservative estimates for players. If for what ever reason they do not reach or come close to others expectations of themselves they would be less apt to think of themselves as failures. The thing is that the hype might have set up an unrealistic ceiling that despite excellent effort could never be reached.

Well if over hyping recruits and young players is not your cup of tea then perhaps a permanent moratorium on sports forums is your best move.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I could write a novel length response to this piece, but I won't. It has so many "truths" in it. Every year, there's always a few Husky fans that criticize the play of freshmen when (in their opinion) they don't come in and produce right away, and live up to their billing or "hype" in high school. They did it to Jefferson, Gabby, Crystal, Megan last year, and now ONO.

I remember Gabby saying at the beginning of her sophomore year (I'm paraphrasing) now I'm ready. I know what I'm doing now. She said she did not play in the Stanford loss because "I was not ready". She knew it, and Geno knew it.
In time, she learned. Crystal showed flashes of brilliance her freshman year, but could not sustain it. Like Jefferson before her, she was always worried about making a mistake, and possibly getting pulled. It took both of them a full season (as Geno says every year about freshmen needing the whole year to figure things out) to get it.

She'd play well one game, and not the next. During the second or third week of practice, I remember Crystal saying to a reporter that nothing she did or experienced in high school or AAU, prepared her for what she was going through now. She was not smiling when she said it. She was completely overwhelmed with Geno's practices, demands and expectations. Crystal's upperclassmen teammates tried to help her as best they could. They all told her the same thing, just try to get through it. She did. Look at her now.

“Freshman year was a challenge,” Walker said. “I had to respond. I didn't want to be the same coming back. I feel like it’s a learning experience. Toward the end of last year, I started to figure it out and key in on what I needed to do. It’s an everyday grind in college basketball, UConn basketball, I should say. It’s at another level. I was a little shocked.”

Megan went from being the best and most experienced player on the court in high school, to being the youngest and most inexperienced player on the team at UConn. Everyone was more experienced than her, and many players were as good or better than she was. Not only that, ALL of the cachet she had earned in high school, meant nothing at UConn. That's a very humbling experience for a player to realize. and endure. There are so many adjustments to make at this level.

"Megan Walker is one of the most physically gifted basketball players I've ever seen," Monacan coach Larry Starr said. "Once she started being ranked so high, she did not get complacent but continued to work hard to maintain that ranking. It's important to Megan to show people she isn't satisfied where she is, but she always strives for improvement." Geno has said repeatedly that he will never allow a recruit to cheat their potential if they come to UConn.

The demands of a college freshman are challenging to say the least, whether you're an athlete or not. The heightened demands of academics as well as the demands of athletics, coupled with being away from home for the first time, can be a bit of a culture shock to anyone. To say that she was "a little shocked" was an understatement.

Ahhh, but look at her now. The opener is a small sample of what lies ahead. Auriemma has said for months that Walker was having a terrific off season, that she had done a 180 and was virtually unrecognizable. :eek:

Last year Walker had a roller coaster freshman season. She was in a new system, the demands and expectations of which were very high. It was difficult for her to process everything she was given all at once, and could not make it work, so she struggled. Walker survived, finding value in her struggles and emerged a better player from a 2017-18 pressure cooker during which Auriemma yanked her in and out the lineup and was never shy about critiquing her progress, or lack thereof.

“I knew it would be hard,” said Walker, a sophomore who averaged 5.8 points last season. “I knew it would be tough. I just took a bigger blow than anybody else. We stuck it out. I’m not going anywhere.” Now it's ONO's turn. She's under the microscope. After two games, fans are already criticizing her play. "She looked lost out there" one fan said. That's probably because was was. :eek:

There are some things you learn and perfect in practice, some you learn and perfect in games. Playing at UConn isn't for the meek or mild. Auriemma has no filter, and he’s transparent. Freshmen never have to wonder what he thinks. That is as healthy as it is difficult. Walker called it a fair process, and she never considered leaving. ;)

Some players get it right away. Not all are Diana or Maya. Eventually, Williams and ONO will get it. Maybe Walker has gotten it. Maybe her approach and understanding are now aligning with her potential. Auriemma has told Walker to model her approach after that of Collier.

“With Megan’s talent, if she gets a motor like Pheesa and goes, she could be incredible,” Auriemma said. “How do you really describe Walker? Is she a big guard or a small version of a forward? But she has a lot of skill. She obviously has to really add a lot for our team to be what we want it to be, and Sunday was a really good start.”

I can't predict when the light will go on for ONO, no one can. We all hope it's sooner rather than later. Ready or not, she's going to be needed come March. O.J.T. may be what the doctor ordered. Baptismal under fire. The fastest way to learn a thing. This team can't afford to give her a year to "get it". They need her to be functional by the end of February. Remember, EVERY post player she will be matched up with in March will be an experienced upperclassman. She's going to have her hands full no matter who they play.

No analyzing or critiquing ONO here. I remain ecstatic that she chose to come to UConn. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy watching her play and develop as the season progresses, and hope that she's ready to meet the challenges that will come when the tournament begins.

I understand and realize that I may be in the minority here, but I'm following Geno's lead in that my expectations of freshmen (which mirror his) learning his system quickly are minimal at best. I do expect ONO to be exactly where Walker is now, this time next year, if not sooner.

I could not tell watching the live stream of the Vanguard game because of the poor quality, but it was easily recognizable during the CBS-HD broadcast how much bigger Megan has gotten during the off season. I looked at an early game from last year to compare the difference. Working out with Napheesa during the spring and summer has really paid off for Walker in several ways. Walker has always appeared to me to be a no nonsense young lady (like Sabrina Ionescu & Morgan Tuck) who is serious about her growth and development.

No doubt (during their summer workouts) that Collier shared her experiences of her sophomore season, mentoring Megan about how she should approach the upcoming season, and the things Geno and staff will be expecting from her.

At the end of this month, UConn will have 8 games behind them. We'll have a much larger sample size to draw from when making our assessments and critiques. I am so happy to have UConn women's basketball back. That was a
l-o-n-g summer. The gray clouds have passed, the skies are clear, it's warming up, and the birds are singing. Life is good! :)
I liked almost everything you wrote, but you were misleading us. You said you could, you said you won't, but indeed you did. Perhaps all of us readers can agree that it was more of a novella, and if we can agree we can forgive the minutes of our already pre -shortened lives that you so underhandedly purloined! ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Didn’t he also say “Stanford must have gotten the rebounding sister” or something similar?
I think it was a double whammy... we didn't get the 3 point shooting sister, and we didn't get the rebounder either!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

In answer to your question, probably because most of us are fans. Webster's says the word is a shortened form of fanatic. So you get what you get! Bear with us, or not. Your choice! ;)

Reaction Score
CW's anticipation on defense was outstanding. She already was where the offensive player wanted to go again and again.

Reaction Score
CW's anticipation on defense was outstanding. She already was where the offensive player wanted to go again and again.
Exactly, I was trying to watch just that and time and time again she was in the next position either just ahead of the ball handler or no worse than same time. (Mongoose & cobra ?) If that D gets any better, sans fouling, she will become the shut down player. I hope I really did see this rather than it being just what I wanted to see.

Reaction Score
Well if over hyping recruits and young players is not your cup of tea then perhaps a permanent moratorium on sports forums is your best move.
Re- read my post. I said I wasn't a FAN of OVER hyping recruits. I didn't say it should be forbidden rather I don't believe it serves any purpose other than for the fan doing the overhyping. Of course the key term would be " Over" and that is left to the discretion of the hyper. I am just speaking for maintaining perspective. It does the players themselves little good other than putting an extra burden on them. It is hard enough to adapt to the extra demands that college places on them both academically and athletically.How hard would it be to give them some slack in their freshman years.

Seems like certain subjects push peoples buttons. I can deal with many things that I totally disprove of let alone things that I am not a fan of. ( notice the difference in terminology). I doubt your concern is for my well being. It seems that you are a bit more on the disprove side on people expressing their opinions via you suggestion that I should not participate on these types of forums.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
CW has to be more aggressive. I was hoping she had more DT in her based on her pre-season comments...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom