Geno ok with Ekmark's plan. | The Boneyard

Geno ok with Ekmark's plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
This thread will remain open as long as it stays civil and any disagreements don't get too personal.

It won't be a vehicle for resuming the peeing match that took place toward the end of the locked thread.

oh....ok, ignore my last post.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This thread will remain open as long as it stays civil and any disagreements don't get too personal.

It won't be a vehicle for resuming the peeing match that took place toward the end of the locked thread.
Thanks JS. That was not my intent when I posted the link.

Reaction Score
I wonder how many teenagers will follow Courtney Ekmark's example? They could say they want to be just like Courtney and drop out of school to spend more quality time with the family, before they leave and go far away to hang out with the wrong crowd or something. It's all good.

;-p

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I wonder how many teenagers will follow Courtney Ekmark's example? They could say they want to be just like Courtney and drop out of school to spend more quality time with the family, before they leave and go far away to hang out with the wrong crowd or something. It's all good.

;-p
Plotsie, Plotsie, Plotsie.

This is no way to keep a thread civil.

Wouldn't "transfer" be a more accurate description even if it is from one HS to home schooling?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

;-p
Well - I wouldn't be surprised if a few kids with only two remaining HS required courses and who have already completed three or four college level courses might be tempted to follow her lead for their senior seasons. But then I think that might be a very small number of HS juniors that have that kind of academic resume!
Sounds like a pretty good decision to me. And she certainly seems to be a pretty strongly self motivated woman, so I suspect she may spend her time more beneficially than all us boneyard junkies!

HGN

Reaction Score
Sounds like everyone that matters ( Courtney , Mom , Dad, Geno (basketball wise) ) is onboard with the decision to be home-schooled her senior year. Hopefully she can stay sharp and be able to keep pace academically when she gets to UConn. Basketball wise she may be able to train and develop her skills even more.

In any event , if Geno and UConn sanctioned it , he must not see a problem.

Reaction Score
Courtney is very intelligent and knows what she wants. I also think it was an excellent decision to be home schooled. She will only get better by playing against the boys. I fully expect Courtney to be fully prepared to start her college career when she attends UCONN next year.

Reaction Score
IMO playing with boys against boys will better prepare her for the physicality and speed of college ball than being on a rebuilding girl's HS team.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
IMO playing with boys against boys will better prepare her for the physicality and speed of college ball than being on a rebuilding girl's HS team.
Exactly.

U

UCONNfan1

Great kid. Head squarely on her shoulders. Glad she's doing what makes her happy. Family is important and it sounds like she's really close with them. Plus, playing against the guys will definitely help her with speed, quickness, strength, etc. needed to compete at the college level. Go get 'em Courtney!!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

Peeing match? Bet on Alydar - horses are IM-pressive when they piddle. Even better than bears. We have our own specialty - befouling the woods, and besmirching rabbits.

Reaction Score
I think this could be a great opportunity for her. I was discussing this with my husband, who was home-schooled. The last year or so of his high school education, he was getting in a physical workout literally seven days a week among his trips to the gym, martial arts training, and pick-up hockey. He entered college in incredible shape and had taken a few community college courses.
In short, home schooling is pretty much what you make of it; with the right motivation and personal discipline, you can make a great deal of it.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Three questions and one statement:
1. This is the second time Courtney Ekmark has been home schooled. The first was Jr. High, getting ready for St. Mary's. How did that work out?
2. Her Dad, as well as her Mom, both of whom played college sports, have coached and guided her basketball/tennis career her whole life. How has that come out so far?
3. Her Dad is working w/ Nike to set up an elite girls basketball program in Arizona starting in August. Is it possible Courtney will get plenty of basketball practice/games against elite players over the next year?
4. Boneyard is all about opinions, but "informed opinions" w/ facts and analysis are far better than simple declarations condemning what appears to be a well thought out plan to improve an already special athlete. Go Huskies...!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I gave you a like, David.

But......#4 is just going to cause issues for the mods as the last thread on this had to be locked.

Reaction Score
The only thing I was going to say is that Rich needs a new editor.... dear God, proof read people!

Reaction Score
I did homeschooling for several years. It doesn't always sound ideal to people but for some kids it works wonders.
I loved it.

Reaction Score
This should be news to no one. As i said from the start, there was NO way in hell this would happen without Genos ok.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Agreed. Based on earlier comments by Courtney and her Dad that Geno encouraged her to play more against boys, I suspected that playing in a boys league would be part of her plans. Again, I have no doubt that she'll be better prepared for UConn than if she were to continue to play HS competition.

Reaction Score
Seems to have a good head on her shoulders and is the kind of person I want on our team. If only EDD was able to do the same perhaps we keep her

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
John Altavilla spent time talking to Courtney and Curtis and wrote a nice piece in his blog: http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women...h-catching-up-with-courtney-ekmark/#more-4420

In it we learn:
  • Courtney's parents told her that if she put together a plan for what she wanted to do with her senior year, they would support her
  • She plans to travel to watch her friends from St Mary's play as freshman at various Div 1 schools
  • She plans to be in Storrs to watch UConn play and practice
  • She will play AAU ball with her brother's (boys) AAU team both in the fall and spring and play about 50 games against varsity HS boys
  • She'll begin strength conditioning for the first time
  • Curtis doesn't think there are any HS games that prepare you for playing at UConn so missing 27 of those games won't hurt her
Easy to see why Geno is ok with this plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom