Geno needs help w/ the Team USA starting lineup....please help... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno needs help w/ the Team USA starting lineup....please help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The LAST thing Mr. Auriemma needs is help from the Boneyard.... ;)
Agree...I think a great gesture of sportsmanship would be to make suggestions on line-ups to the head coaches from China, Serbia & Angola.;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
IMO, Whalen is the best PG in the world right now.
It's interesting that a visitor posts this and another visitor like it. I think all the Huskies fans would disagree. Perhaps in 2 years, Sue will not make the team, but she's still the gold standard, as in 10 FIBA gold medals.

The relevant question from the Boneyard perspective is: Will Sue remain the best until Moriah is ready to succeed her at the top? :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Though we are missing incredible talent in terms of Candace, Tamika, Sylvia, and Elena, this team is loaded.

I obviously like the all-UConn lineup. I also like the non-UConn lineup, though they may not be in synch quite as much.

I love that all-tall unit, though I might replace Dupree with Maya or Angel as true SGs.

I look forward to seeing Tina play with Britney and with Nneka.

When you see that Sue delivers the ball perfectly to Griner, you'll understand true PG greatness. :)

Game time in less than 10 hours!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It's interesting that a visitor posts this and another visitor like it. I think all the Huskies fans would disagree. Perhaps in 2 years, Sue will not make the team, but she's still the gold standard, as in 10 FIBA gold medals.

The beauty of the BY is that all are welcome to give their honest opinions, as long as done in a respectful way. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Sue Bird. And if DT, Maya and Charles start, Bird is the obvious choice to start at PG as she knows the Geno system as well as anybody.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Though we are missing incredible talent in terms of Candace, Tamika, Sylvia, and Elena, this team is loaded.

I obviously like the all-UConn lineup. I also like the non-UConn lineup, though they may not be in synch quite as much.

I love that all-tall unit, though I might replace Dupree with Maya or Angel as true SGs.

I look forward to seeing Tina play with Britney and with Nneka.

When you see that Sue delivers the ball perfectly to Griner, you'll understand true PG greatness. :)

Game time in less than 10 hours!

I look forward to seeing Bird and Whalen (and DT and Maya) passing the ball to Griner. And she is no black hole, so if they are open she will pass back out to them. Playing with Griner has to be a unique situation for any player as she can do things physically that most players can't, which means that one needs to expand one's thinking on how to pass to the post. I hope that the rest of the team recognizes the ability to lob the ball to her as this has been a deficiency in a lot of players that have played with Griner in the past, but everyone on the US team should have the ability to put the ball up where only BG can get it. But I suspect that we will see some passes that are too low and stolen, in the beginning. And Whalen seems to see passes that only she can envision.

I also think that whoever plays the 4 next to BG is going to have some huge rebounding numbers. BG will change the way teams play offense and cause bad shots to be taken, resulting in a lot of defensive rebounding opportunities. And if she draws two defenders on offense the US should have some nice offensive rebounding numbers. If Charles and BG play together, Charles is going to clean up on the boards, which she usually does anyway, and probably get a lot of opportunities for offensive rebounds and put-backs under the basket.

If Maya and DT are hitting, they may explode on offense. BG's presence should allow them more freedom on the perimeter and on drives to the basket, which they are both masters at.

I am SUPER excited about seeing BG on the floor with the UCONN players under Geno's direction. It is fun to have a couple of Baylor players on the same team with UCONN players. This will be the first time I have been able to watch UCONN and Baylor players on the same floor and be able to root for them all. This is an invaluable opportunity for Sims to learn from Bird and Whalen. Bird seems to savor her role as a mentor to the younger players and I think has a future as a US coach down the road.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The beauty of the BY is that all are welcome to give their honest opinions, as long as done in a respectful way. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Sue Bird. And if DT, Maya and Charles start, Bird is the obvious choice to start at PG as she knows the Geno system as well as anybody.
I value differing opinions too. Sue's numbers were down this year because Lauren Jackson, who was a top 3 in the world when healthy, did not play. But Sue was healthy and played very well. Sue is not the quickest or strongest PG. Odyssey is quicker and Lindsay is stronger. But in running a team, there is no one better. Sue's only equal is named Taurasi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom