Geno: Naismith Semifinalist | The Boneyard

Geno: Naismith Semifinalist

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A number of really good choices on the list. Vic has done a great job building MS St into a national power. Amy Williams has picked up the pieces at Nebraska and turned the program around. But I have to say, that MM has done the best job under the circumstances so far.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pretty long list, but looks about right to me. I'd say Vic would be the heavy favorite to win if his team is still undefeated at the time the selection is made. And unlike last year, what Geno has achieved with the talent he has this year is probably more in line with what was expected.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
You talk about awards with a long wind up!

Auriemma Named Naismith Coach of the Year Semifinalist

Karen Aston, Texas
Geno Auriemma, UConn
Kelly Graves, Oregon
Muffet McGraw, Notre Dame
Kim Mulkey, Baylor
Robin Pingeton, Missouri
Vic Schaefer, Mississippi State
Joni Taylor, Georgia
Jeff Walz, Louisville
Amy Williams, Nebraska
Long wind up? Do you mean the list is too long for a semifinal list? I think its great that all these coaches get acknowledged for really doing a great job this season. Never hurts to have a long list so more coaches get recognition for their accomplishments.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While Muffet has done the best with what she was dealt, it's not like she has Sister Theresa's poor girls options-last I checked she still had a plethora of talent out on the floor-all top 75 players or better.

The players for the season were already there for Graves, Schaefer, Mulky and Walz and they had pretty high expectations that are being met.

I would argue Amy Williams at Nebraska in year 2 has been remarkable given what she inherited, what left (Shepard, Natalie Romero and a couple others) and the culture she is trying to change after Yori. Next would be Pingeton at Mizzou who only has 1 player of note.

Williams-Neb, Pingeton-Missouri, McGraw-ND is my voting.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Long wind up? Do you mean the list is too long for a semifinal list? I think its great that all these coaches get acknowledged for really doing a great job this season. Never hurts to have a long list so more coaches get recognition for their accomplishments.

No, the multiple lists spread out over time. Time, not # ... this time. The list will be cut again mid-March with the winner announced March 31.

HGN

Reaction Score
Good list of Qualified Candidates..............ALL. But He won't win it. He being THE MAN !! The voting committee , seemingly , has little idea of what it takes
to get a team to the Top.........And to consistently keep it there. If they did that list would be cut in half. A good coach can do a great job one or 2 years then fade back.
But to do it year in , and year out , with a different team every year takes great recruiting AND great coaching. ALL the Finalists are good coaches and deserve
recognition , but a few stand out above the rest with the job they have done. MM , has done outstanding considering player losses. KM is another one who stands out.

No matter who wins there will be cat-calls.

JMHO.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good list of Qualified Candidates....ALL. But He won't win it. He being THE MAN !! The voting committee , seemingly , has little idea of what it takes
to get a team to the Top....And to consistently keep it there. If they did that list would be cut in half. A good coach can do a great job one or 2 years then fade back.
But to do it year in , and year out , with a different team every year takes great recruiting AND great coaching.
Yea, I know, they've only given it to him like ...what...8 times? Piddling.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

How long until CHW is on it? :rolleyes:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
liking Pingeton or Schaefer for it. However much we know Geno is THE coaching genius, everyone will just say that he gets all the talent. How else can people live with his obvious superiority?
You're right about perceptions, Bags, and that's what's so frustrating. Geno isn't a great coach because he gets the best talent; he gets the best talent because he's a great coach. Besides, isn't a major part of the job description for being a successful college basketball coach being able to recruit top flight talent? Geno should be lauded, not punished, for doing his job so well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
liking Pingeton or Schaefer for it. However much we know Geno is THE coaching genius, everyone will just say that he gets all the talent. How else can people live with his obvious superiority?
You're right about perceptions, Bags, and that's what's so frustrating. Geno isn't a great coach because he gets the best talent; he gets the best talent because he's a great coach. Besides, isn't a major part of the job description for being a successful college basketball coach being able to recruit top flight talent? Geno should be lauded, not punished, for doing his job so well.
Whenever I hear the argument about Geno getting all the top players, I’m always reminded of that old line that, “Geno could swap teams and still beat you with your team.”

Reaction Score
Schaefer, no question.
Yes question. I think there are equally strong reasons for selecting Pingeton, Williams, or McGraw. And I certainly don't think that Schaefer will receive all the first place votes, which would happen if there truly were "no question."

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I feel like Schaeffer would have been a lock if the voting happened after the Final Four last year. Wonder if he'll get the credit for beating UConn in this year's vote. That plus Miss St.'s current undefeated record makes him the favorite, I would say.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm big on Schaeffer, Pingeton and actually Graves this season. I get the comments about MM, though and also realize that Taylor has done a heck of a job as well as Williams.

As to Geno, as noted he has won the award many times. But this season, has he really done better than anyone could expect? He is the best coach in the game, but the award is for doing the best job this season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Including both of the last two years.
Last year Geno really had to work for it. The year before, he just had to roll out the balls at practice and let Stewie, Mo & Tuck take care of things. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
A number of really good choices on the list. Vic has done a great job building MS St into a national power. Amy Williams has picked up the pieces at Nebraska and turned the program around. But I have to say, that MM has done the best job under the circumstances so far.
As much as I dislike EVERYTHING about nd, I think she has been able to persevere through more difficulties than any coach this season.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Love Vic, but Muffet deserves the nod at this point.

Her squad has been decimated, yet they are still are performing at a very high level.

Reaction Score
I feel like Schaeffer would have been a lock if the voting happened after the Final Four last year. Wonder if he'll get the credit for beating UConn in this year's vote. That plus Miss St.'s current undefeated record makes him the favorite, I would say.
But with that schedule they should be undefeated if they are as elite as they claim.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Vic wins if MSU wins out in the SEC regular season and tourney. The fact that his team beat UConn in April will influence voters. Geno will be close.

Muffett has done a very good job, considering all the injuries. But a big assist goes to the NCAA for their sham of a decision allowing Shepard to play immediately.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Love Vic, but Muffet deserves the nod at this point.

Her squad has been decimated, yet they are still are performing at a very high level.
I agree mostly, but the NCAA gave ND a huge gift. We would have won last year with Z and Batouly in the lineup.

Reaction Score
Not going to disagree with anyone here as there are many valid points made.
Just going to toss out the notion Geno may get a little boost or step up on the competition. ;) For those that may not know the award is sponsored by Werner Ladders and none of the competition has done more to promote Werner Ladders, just say'n...:D

57050aa81e00008700706554.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom