Geno Naismith Semi-Finalist for Coach of the Year | The Boneyard

Geno Naismith Semi-Finalist for Coach of the Year

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
2017 Werner Ladder Naismith Women’s College Coach of the Year Semifinalists Announced | Naismith Trophy

Karen Aston Texas Big 12
Auriemma Geno Connecticut AAC
Frese Brenda Maryland Big Ten
Moore Wes North Carolina State ACC
Neighbors Mike Washington Pac 12
Pingeton Robin Missouri SEC
Rueck Scott Oregon State Pac 12
Schaefer Vic Mississippi State SEC
Semrau Sue Florida State ACC
VanDerveer Tara Stanford Pac 12

Why Karen Aston, her team under achieved. Don't understand having three PAC 12 nominees.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think it's a 2-horse race between Geno & Scott Rueck at OSU. Both coaches faced the graduation of several top players and still managed to overcome those losses to win conference championships. Of course I'm biased towards Geno, but Rueck's accomplishments are impressive nonetheless.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Interesting to note that Kim, Muffet & Dawn are not on the list. Does that indicate that despite having teams that were loaded with talent, they all under-achieved this year?

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
2017 Werner Ladder Naismith Women’s College Coach of the Year Semifinalists Announced | Naismith Trophy

Karen Aston Texas Big 12

Why Karen Aston, her team under achieved. Don't understand having three PAC 12 nominees.

Feel badly Tonya not there. I guess combined losses by 73 points to Geno didn't help

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I actually think that is a pretty good list. There is tiering within the list and I would have a top 3 of Scott, Geno and Robin who all did significantly more than expected.

Vic and Sue would be my next tier with Mike, Tara and Wes.

Bottom are Karen who has re-established the Texas program as a top echelon destination and Last would be Frese who should have learned by now to actually schedule competition for her team.

Reaction Score

Karen Aston Texas Big 12

When is the winner announced? I hope its after the NCAA Tourney, then we can judge whether or not this list makes sense.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Karen Aston Texas Big 12

Aston's team improved immensely over the course of the season. Despite a late season let down, they've been different for most of the year and look much improved compared to a year ago.

This year it has to go to Geno though...this might be the most impressive season as a coach. Not sure anyone saw another undefeated season in the works considering how much talent was lost and how brutal the first half of the year was. The player development by the big 3 and Chong has been remarkable, and do run the table with zero bench and minimal proven talent coming into the season is remarkable. They've been the story in women's basketball all year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Aston's team improved immensely over the course of the season. Despite a late season let down, they've been different for most of the year and look much improved compared to a year ago.

This year it has to go to Geno though...this might be the most impressive season as a coach. Not sure anyone saw another undefeated season in the works considering how much talent was lost and how brutal the first half of the year was. The player development by the big 3 and Chong has been remarkable, and do run the table with zero bench and minimal proven talent coming into the season is remarkable. They've been the story in women's basketball all year.
bballnut90, I must say that I thoroughly enjoy your posts. I know things are tough in Knoxville, so you may want to consider changing your photo & tag line and, "Come over to the Dark Side" as a Husky fan.

I know that would be a difficult decision, and you would have to abandon most of your friends and also stop wearing orange clothes, but if it helps, I should let you know, "Luke, I am your father!!!" :)

Reaction Score
bballnut90, I must say that I thoroughly enjoy your posts. I know things are tough in Knoxville, so you may want to consider changing your photo & tag line and, "Come over to the Dark Side" as a Husky fan.

I know that would be a difficult decision, and you would have to abandon most of your friends and also stop wearing orange clothes, but if it helps, I should let you know, "Luke, I am your father!!!" :)
Or swap that creme-sickle orange for some West coast Orange & Black!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
JPM should be there. The team was in disarray & didnt make the tourney, they lost arguably their 2 best players, and now they are top 12.
Something positive happened in Durham. Given her track record, it's hard to see what JPM could have done, but maybe the investigation got her to change her ways.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A very good list, and I don't think it is a slam dunk for Geno. There are a number of turnaround stories and Scott performing the same kind of magic with a depleted by graduation roster.
Definitely think Aston belongs on the list - the late season swoon including the second half letdown against Baylor were the result of an injury to their starting center. That they took a couple of weeks at the start of the year to get the engine revved while facing the second best OOC schedule in the country is not surprising.

Don't think Brenda really belongs - yes it is a young team, but ...

JPM is an interesting situation as is Mitchell at KY - they both dealt with major defections and turmoil last summer, and somehow pulled together their teams and way outperformed general expectations. That the issues were likely self inflicted to some degree probably keeps them out of the conversation for COY awards.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
JPM should be there. The team was in disarray & didnt make the tourney, they lost arguably their 2 best players, and now they are top 12.
While I agree she has rebounded nicely, weren't those self-inflicted wounds? Not sure I nor the committee would/should reward the behavior. Kudos to her for modifying her approach, let's see it for one more year. Her own conference didn't reward her so I am ok with her "probation period". Sorry Triad....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom