eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She only played 5 games this year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Presser begins with

1) Hey Geno, did you ask Paige for a loam?

2) No, actually, I think I saw her ask for money for breakfast

Reaction Score

Not very gracious (indirect) remarks about the Nneka snub.
As reported by espn...
Why is he so defensive?
I don't understand why you are having this beef regarding Geno. Hasn't he made it clear that it's not his authority to address? It's right there the quote from the article that he won't speak for others. Can you even imagine if he spoke for Dawn - the uproar that would cause?

Yet the writer put it in quotes that Geno said he can't speak for others so why would the writer title the article that "Geno declines to address . . ." when he clearly said he can't be speaking for others? She's trying to put him in bad light, correct?

After all, the article is entitled specifically about Nneka's omission so why would the writer bring up that UCONN has five players on the team if the omission is only about 1 player? For example you can easily bring up Collier vs Nneka, right? so what was her purpose to bring up 5 players instead of 1 or maybe 2? What was she fishing for? After all, didn't Geno actually give a probable explanation for his decision when he said it's not the best players but those who can work best with the other 6? Why wasn't that the point of the article or this issue addressed instead of mentioning why UCONN got 5 players on the team? Don't you think she was trying to imply that there is a certain favoritism going on for UCONN players? It's not like this writer is the only one that thinks this, right?

So don't you think Geno realizes this? So then why wouldn't he be defensive a little bit if he thinks it outrageous for any implication that there is favoritism going on along with how he feels that he has been misrepresented in the past? After all, this writer knew he couldn't speak for others so why entitle the article in the manner she did?

Last edited:
W

wolfe613

Geno seems to have a lot of "fans" lately

now I don't believe that and at first I thought it was a troll who wrote this, I don't know the person but apparently she has a basketball podcast in Barstool

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What would you consider an appropriate, non-defensive response to the questions, given that neither Geno nor the other committee members can possibly discuss individual personnel decisions in public?

They are defensive because they were attacked by all the people who say that "it's all political". How should they respond to the people (all over the Twitter-verse) who are saying that?
:eek: They shouldn't. ??

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
What would you consider an appropriate, non-defensive response to the questions, given that neither Geno nor the other committee members can possibly discuss individual personnel decisions in public?

They are defensive because they were attacked by all the people who say that "it's all political". How should they respond to the people (all over the Twitter-verse) who are saying that?
They should not respond to Twitter. It is a futile effort, and while the twitterverse is a significant number of people, the demographics are a jumble. I read recently that approximately 3% of the people on twitter post about 90% of the content. Why cater to such a small population size? Most Americans on Twitter tend to read, but post infrequently. Many retweet without critically assessing those messages. It is just so much ado about nothing. It is the job of the LaChinas and Mechelles to stir up interest and attract views/clicks. Their editorial comments are not designed to inform as much as inflame. Bashing Geno excites the fans on both sides of the UConn phenomenon.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Video of Geno's presser

Part 1

Geno Auriemma: UConn Women's Basketball Media Availability - 7/1/21 - YouTube

Main thing not reported is what he said about Azzi.

1) Very Introverted. Quiet (Opposite of Paige apparently)
2) Her footwork is impecable. Looks like the footwork of a player ready to enter the WNBA
3) Gets of her shot very fast and looks the same all the time
4) She is alot stronger than I thought

Part 2

I think Paige and Azzi balance each other, somewhat like Dee and Sue. Paige and Dee say things that Azzi and Sue would never think of vocalizing.

I believe that Azzi studied the footwork of Steph Curry and perhaps others (Klay Thompson?). Her footwork is world-class.

I've seen Azzi in person 10x. She has perfect ball rotation and the softest touch I've ever seen. In one recent game, the ball came to rest on the support behind the rim. Who does that??

Azzi has much more bulk and strength than Paige. Azzi is not heavy in the least, nor is she skinny.

Geno obviously is enjoying watching Azzi. We will too!

Reaction Score
Geno seems to have a lot of "fans" lately

now I don't believe that and at first I thought it was a troll who wrote this, I don't know the person but apparently she has a basketball podcast in Barstool

Sounds like a complete nutjob to me. Don't win titles coming from a non-P5 conference and you need to be replaced? And the "chatter" comment. -- Ohh please - over the years I'm sure many fans from Tennessee have contributed to the "chatter" in many different ways.

Reaction Score
Wonder if the UConn alumni have been advising the current crop on agent selection? Sue and Dee have years of agent experience; Stewie fewer. Might Sue or Dee, on behalf of their agent(s), set up a Zoom call with one or more of the current crop, if this is even legal? Might their agent have held a session or two with the current crop in a hotel's conference room?

If such scenarios were illegal prior to July 1 and they are legal now, wonder how the agents will use their clients, assuming that their client(s) are agreeable to this, to "recruit" the current crop?

It will also be interesting how the manufacturers (e.g., Nike, Adidas) use their clients to "sign up" these players.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wow! Love that Geno said Dorka can shoot the hell out of it. Sounds like she just needs to focus on control. I’m excited to see her! Caroline too, really interesting insight into her.
I love that her problem is that she's so psyched to be playing as a Husky. “She’s bigger than I thought,” Auriemma said. “She’s all of 6-5. She’s long and aggressive as hell. She’s fitting in nicely in a lot of ways. She can shoot the hell out of it. And she’s really highly skilled. Just need to calm her down a little bit. She’s so excited about playing, being here. But I love her personality. I love that she brings an old-school work ethic.”

Reaction Score
I love that her problem is that she's so psyched to be playing as a Husky. “She’s bigger than I thought,” Auriemma said. “She’s all of 6-5. She’s long and aggressive as hell. She’s fitting in nicely in a lot of ways. She can shoot the hell out of it. And she’s really highly skilled. Just need to calm her down a little bit. She’s so excited about playing, being here. But I love her personality. I love that she brings an old-school work ethic.”
Right! I honestly loved that description and love that she’s so excited to be at Uconn. Sounds like she’s already a great addition.

Reaction Score
Video of Geno's presser

Part 1

Main thing not reported is what he said about Azzi.

1) Very Introverted. Quiet (Opposite of Paige apparently)
2) Her footwork is impecable. Looks like the footwork of a player ready to enter the WNBA
3) Gets of her shot very fast and looks the same all the time
4) She is alot stronger than I thought

Part 2

Geno's interview video is always better than the transcript: Facial expression, gestures, tone, shrugs, etc...

Thanks for posting!

Reaction Score
I think Paige and Azzi balance each other, somewhat like Dee and Sue. Paige and Dee say things that Azzi and Sue would never think of vocalizing.

I believe that Azzi studied the footwork of Steph Curry and perhaps others (Klay Thompson?). Her footwork is world-class.

I've seen Azzi in person 10x. She has perfect ball rotation and the softest touch I've ever seen. In one recent game, the ball came to rest on the support behind the rim. Who does that??

Azzi has much more bulk and strength than Paige. Azzi is not heavy in the least, nor is she skinny.

Geno obviously is enjoying watching Azzi. We :p;)will too!
I remember when u had only seen Azzi 9x ;) :p

Reaction Score
I don't understand why you are having this beef regarding Geno. Hasn't he made it clear that it's not his authority to address? It's right there the quote from the article that he won't speak for others. Can you even imagine if he spoke for Dawn - the uproar that would cause?

Yet the writer put it in quotes that Geno said he can't speak for others so why would the writer title the article that "Geno declines to address . . ." when he clearly said he can't be speaking for others? She's trying to put him in bad light, correct?

After all, the article is entitled specifically about Nneka's omission so why would the writer bring up that UCONN has five players on the team if the omission is only about 1 player? For example you can easily bring up Collier vs Nneka, right? so what was her purpose to bring up 5 players instead of 1 or maybe 2? What was she fishing for? After all, didn't Geno actually give a probable explanation for his decision when he said it's not the best players but those who can work best with the other 6? Why wasn't that the point of the article or this issue addressed instead of mentioning why UCONN got 5 players on the team? Don't you think she was trying to imply that there is a certain favoritism going on for UCONN players? It's not like this writer is the only one that thinks this, right?

So don't you think Geno realizes this? So then why wouldn't he be defensive a little bit if he thinks it outrageous for any implication that there is favoritism going on along with how he feels that he has been misrepresented in the past? After all, this writer knew he couldn't speak for others so why entitle the article in the manner she did?
Extremely well said… thank you!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Geno seems to be very happy and relaxed with this group of young ladies. I like what he has said about how eager they all seem to be in practice and that they are jelling as a team. I also like that he likes his big's and that Liv is being challenged and she is accepting that challenge. I think that this team just might end up being one of the best ever at UConn and I CAN'T WAIT for the season to begin.

Reaction Score

Not very gracious (indirect) remarks about the Nneka snub.
As reported by espn...
Why is he so defensive?
Not defensive, probably just fed up with everything being his fault. I hardly think he has a problem with Ogwumike just because she played at Stanford just like Parker at Tennessee. With all the success Geno and his players have had I don't think he wastes his time dwelling on players from other schools. As for some of you posters as well as ESPN announcers who believe Geno single handedly made sure these 2 players past and present did not get picked I really think you need to get past your jealousy and hatred of all things Uconn and move on. After all it wasn't a committee of one

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom