Geno may have created his own hell! | The Boneyard

Geno may have created his own hell!

Reaction Score
I apologize for not posting this earlier but I've had 1 week of computer problems with my C drive crashing and I'm just starting to get my PC act together again!
In reference to Geno's, "the worst game UCONN has played in his 32 years here!" comments, I think he brought some of the grief on himself!
All athletes are creatures of habit and depend on regular schedules to perform at their top level! Their early pregame practice, meals, arrival at the arena, dressing, warmups, etc. are usually consistent! When Geno sat the starters for the whole 2nd period it threw them completely out of whack because they also sat 15 minutes at 1/2 time then started the 3rd period after about an hour of inaction! It changed their usual routine significantly and they could not return to their early game psych and athletic peak. The BENCH was also thrown off by their early appearance into the game.
I understand he was trying to inspire the BENCH to play at a higher level but the unusual newness of the plan was a sure method for failure!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For staters you misquoted Geno. He said worst "effort" in 32 years not worst "game". Regardless of what players are on the floor the effort should remain constant.
100% effort in every drill and on every play is and has always been the UCONN standard.

Reaction Score
I understand he was trying to inspire the BENCH to play at a higher level but the unusual newness of the plan was a sure method for failure!

Um, define "failure." Because I highly doubt that Coach's reasons for what he did during that game, had anything at all to do with the desired outcome of that game, and everything to do with the ongoing development of the team.

Reaction Score
I apologize for not posting this earlier but I've had 1 week of computer problems with my C drive crashing and I'm just starting to get my PC act together again!
In reference to Geno's, "the worst game UCONN has played in his 32 years here!" comments, I think he brought some of the grief on himself!
All athletes are creatures of habit and depend on regular schedules to perform at their top level! Their early pregame practice, meals, arrival at the arena, dressing, warmups, etc. are usually consistent! When Geno sat the starters for the whole 2nd period it threw them completely out of whack because they also sat 15 minutes at 1/2 time then started the 3rd period after about an hour of inaction! It changed their usual routine significantly and they could not return to their early game psych and athletic peak. The BENCH was also thrown off by their early appearance into the game.

I think that you are making excuses for poor performance. He is attempting to shake that second group until two or three of them emerge as players that he can trust in games. Stevens is already an essential part of the rotation. Walker will now join her. The question will be whether Coombs or Irwin can become the next trusted guard and trusted big off of the bench.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Another thread by a poster that can coach better than the 11 time NC winning, HOF coach. How many are out there? But I do agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, so let the conversation continue.

Reaction Score

Coach:

You should have prefaced this stating your years of Coaching of winning teams. I.e. with a modicum first hand coaching knowledge.
I'm happy for you that your computer is functioning again. I only hope your health is recovering equally.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Another thread by a poster that can coach better than the 11 time NC winning, HOF coach. How many are out there? But I do agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, so let the conversation continue.
An yet another defense of Geno actions that reminds posters of his 11 time NC. Even if Geno had a pefect record there would be room for improvement because you are talking about inperfect people dealing with other imperfect people. My opinion is Geno could have handled this situation better, he's still the best.

Reaction Score
An yet another defense of Geno actions that reminds posters of his 11 time NC. Even if Geno had a pefect record there would be room for improvement because you are talking about inperfect people dealing with other imperfect people. My opinion is Geno could have handled this situation better, he's still the best.
I agree with imperfect people dealing with younger more imperfect people--as one imperfect one to another. The one indisputable fact of life, most forget--humans are seriously imperfect, in every way--except ME.

Reaction Score
I agree with imperfect people dealing with younger more imperfect people--as one imperfect one to another. The one indisputable fact of life, most forget--humans are seriously imperfect, in every way--except ME.

and my cousin Fred...................

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

"Failure" in an 18 point win? It's a good way for the entire team to learn how to handle adversity. Don't think this was a rash decision on his part. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire staff discussed the plan before the game. And how did the adversity work out in the follwup game at Temple? I'd say they are going in the right direction.

Reaction Score

Having seen your well-coached and successful teams, RSHERM, I pay a bit more attention to your posts than some others here. Admittedly, I paid special attention to this post because I happen to agree with what you said . Even Hall of Fame coaches have off-nights. Following the Texas game, which I thought was one of the most exciting UConn games in a long time, the Tulsa game was especially disappointing. It looked to me like Geno put the players in position to look bad. In doing so, he made himself look bad , also.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And you are entitled to your opinion, I have no problem with anyone's opinion being posted except I just am bothered by the almost daily thread(s) on how someone would handle Geno's coaching "technique" differently. But then again, that is why there is a Boneyard and why everyone's opinion counts, even mine. And how do you know that I do not have X number of years of successful coaching or teaching experience too and may "know" of what I speak? And does it really matter on a public basketball forum?

Reaction Score

I could not have said that better.
Well Done sir.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And how do you know that I do not have X number of years of successful coaching or teaching experience too and may "know" of what I speak? And does it really matter on a public basketball forum?
We are in fully agreement on at least 4 things:
Clearly I don't know how much coaching or teaching experience you have. How would I?
It (coaching or teaching experience) really does not matter on a public basketball forum.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Let the conversation continue.

Reaction Score
I should have prefaced my post by explaining I coached HS Wrestling for 32 years in MO & East Lyme
and was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in 2005.
There were times I put my Wrestlers in situations that came back to bite us in the butt!
Using the word “failure” was a mistake but I can’t emphasize enough that the change in routine had some sort of hand in the difference in play!
I have the utmost respect for Geno and his staff, I just believe the change effected the players in some way!

Reaction Score
Having seen your well-coached and successful teams, RSHERM, I pay a bit more attention to your posts than some others here. Admittedly, I paid special attention to this post because I happen to agree with what you said . Even Hall of Fame coaches have off-nights. Following the Texas game, which I thought was one of the most exciting UConn games in a long time, the Tulsa game was especially Adisappointing. It looked to me like Geno put the players in position to look bad. In doing so, he made himself look bad , also.

Yea, Coach RSherm--has made great points.
All coaches make poor decisions , and great decisions--not always in the same game. While some, winning, coaches are held up as Gods--they are after all Human with all those weaknesses and foibles. The fault is not with the coach but with us--for expecting God like features of a human.
I enjoyed some games this year--TX as you point out was exciting and with the W fun. I too liked the Tulsa and memphis games--cuz, I like seeing the development of the kids--Megan proved how good she can be.

Reaction Score
And you are entitled to your opinion, I have no problem with anyone's opinion being posted except I just am bothered by the almost daily thread(s) on how someone would handle Geno's coaching "technique" differently. But then again, that is why there is a Boneyard and why everyone's opinion counts, even mine. And how do you know that I do not have X number of years of successful coaching or teaching experience too and may "know" of what I speak? And does it really matter on at public basketball forum?

Going back 10,000 years---every team every fan every coach has been taken to task by the ---Monday morning Quarterback. That's what fans do.
So the second guessing of Geno, his techniques, his methods is a normal event and has been so for nearly forever.
Point is --if you don't like reading --Geno should have used Mary Jane in the second quarter as a post. Or Danger really is a Forward and Geno is using her a as a guard---if you can't handle reading that-- read other posts.
If this is an OPINION open forum--all fan like comments should be allowed--whether you agree or don't ---whether they are posted daily or hourly.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wait a minute...are some you saying or implying that the original post was a serious post? Geez, I thought it was a funny, sarcastic type post. Like Geno "accidentally" screwed up his players or was surprised with what happened when he changed the line up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom