Geno, Master Fine Tuner, and his Bench | The Boneyard

Geno, Master Fine Tuner, and his Bench

Reaction Score
I recently wrote a post that stated I believe that this coming UCONN Woman's Basketball Team would have a top ten bench. Few took it seriously. In a way, I was incorrect. I was actually thinking of something different then the regular BENCH, but still, the BENCH. I believe that this year's team will be a lot like the Olympic Team that Geno Coached, last year. That team didn't really have a bench in a normal manner. The so-called bench, at any moment, was just about as good as the players currently on the floor.

So too, this year, Geno will have a squad of super-stars, who will all sit on the Bench throughout every game. I would not be surprised if there were not at least eight UCONN players who, if you select any combination of five, would be the starting team of most colleges in America today.

Geno, the MASTER FINE-TUNER, will need about 15 or so games to begin to get a good feel as to how to constantly inter-change his guys to maximize their superiority. Then, it will be unbelievable domination on both defense and offense as a constant influx of rested legs, abundant energy, and different types of skills confront every opponent with absolute relentlessness.

So – more-than-likely, at any given moment in time, at least three potential UCONN starters will be on the bench this year. I still think that the UCONN BENCH, which for this conversation becomes a constantly changing virtual bench, could well be a top ten team by February, 2018.

Reaction Score
I recently wrote a post that stated I believe that this coming UConn Woman's Basketball Team would have a top ten bench. Few took it seriously. In a way, I was incorrect. I was actually thinking of something different then the regular BENCH, but still, the BENCH. I believe that this year's team will be a lot like the Olympic Team that Geno Coached, last year. That team didn't really have a bench in a normal manner. The so-called bench, at any moment, was just about as good as the players currently on the floor.

So too, this year, Geno will have a squad of super-stars, who will all sit on the Bench throughout every game. I would not be surprised if there were not at least eight UConn players who, if you select any combination of five, would be the starting team of most colleges in America today.

Geno, the MASTER FINE-TUNER, will need about 15 or so games to begin to get a good feel as to how to constantly inter-change his guys to maximize their superiority. Then, it will be unbelievable domination on both defense and offense as a constant influx of rested legs, abundant energy, and different types of skills confront every opponent with absolute relentlessness.

So – more-than-likely, at any given moment in time, at least three potential UConn starters will be on the bench this year. I still think that the UConn BENCH, which for this conversation becomes a constantly changing virtual bench, could well be a top ten team by February, 2018.

Geno had this over abundance of Talent issue in early 2000's and hasn't done it since--
What does that say about how much he loved it??
Most coaches would be thrilled over this---and Geno likes it--but I'll bet it creates problems he does
not want--. Geno likes kids that are flexible--and who don't demand --I think Starting will be less of an issue than playing time.

Reaction Score
If the starters played vs.the bench,the starters would win by about 90-50 in November and by about 85-55 in March.There will definitely be a clear drop-off between the two.Mostly that is a product of the starters being all american candidates at all 5 positions.Show me a bench on any other team where after the first 5 players are gone that the score of the Uconn starters vs.their bench wouldn't be in the 120-35 range.This is how good Uconn will be this coming season.

Reaction Score
I think you vastly overestimate how quickly the frosh will come along.

Recall that MoJeff did not emerge until March, and Tuck was ok with a few bright spots.
Other that Walker I don't think any of the frosh are as good as Jeff/Tuck.

They may have their moments, and 1 may even "figure things out" quickly, but more likely they will see a lot of bench time this year.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
One thing for sure, the extraordinarily deep bench will relieve Geno of the need to map his defensive strategy to make sure none of the starters get into foul trouble. Of course, UConn's staff coaches position and foot movement to limit sloppy defense and unnecessary fouls, but recall how often last year's starters spent long and nerve-wracking minutes on the bench. This year, fresh bodies with elevated skills will be available, and perhaps allow Geno to ratchet up and extend defensive pressures.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think you vastly overestimate how quickly the frosh will come along.

Recall that MoJeff did not emerge until March, and Tuck was ok with a few bright spots.
Other that Walker I don't think any of the frosh are as good as Jeff/Tuck.

They may have their moments, and 1 may even "figure things out" quickly, but more likely they will see a lot of bench time this year.
I believe Coombs will be the first freshman to get meaningful minutes. I think she will surprise a lot of Uconn fans, in a good way.

Reaction Score
Does Z start or come off the bench? That would be a significant difference. Gabby, Katie Lou, Napheesa, Kia and Crystal vs Z, Batouly, Megan, Mikayla, and Andra or Lexi.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Going to be an interesting year certainly and quite different from last year, but ...
1. The four freshman haven't played a minute and not many freshman at Uconn contribute a lot their freshman year no matter how talented.

2. Two of the three sophomores on the team played very few meaningful minutes and the third struggled some throughout the year.

3. The two transfers haven't played a single game for Uconn and haven't played a competitive game in a year - we expect big things but ...

That leave a true fantastic four of returning starters, battle tested and very good with a little chip on their shoulders.

While I think Uconn is going to be really good, it is a little hard to identify who the fifth starter is, and to see in such an inexperienced bench either a top 10 team, or even an Olympic team second five. That NT second five was made up mostly of Olympic team veterans and long time professional players, not rookies and second year bench players.

Not trying to rain on the parade of enthusiasm, just a small note of caution.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Many BY'ers seem to be totally ignoring the contributions that will be made by Irwin and Bent. I can see them getting more minutes than most of the freshmen. It's not just physical ability that will earn playing time but also a mental toughness and determination that they both have. Also, they know the system and what is expected from the coaches. I don't think they want to sit as much as they did last season. As far as the whole team is concerned, in reality, Uconn may or may not have as great a team as some think. However, potentially, they could be off the charts great, one of the best Uconn teams ever, imo.

Reaction Score
I recently wrote a post that stated I believe that this coming UConn Woman's Basketball Team would have a top ten bench. Few took it seriously. In a way, I was incorrect. I was actually thinking of something different then the regular BENCH, but still, the BENCH. I believe that this year's team will be a lot like the Olympic Team that Geno Coached, last year. That team didn't really have a bench in a normal manner. The so-called bench, at any moment, was just about as good as the players currently on the floor.

So too, this year, Geno will have a squad of super-stars, who will all sit on the Bench throughout every game. I would not be surprised if there were not at least eight UConn players who, if you select any combination of five, would be the starting team of most colleges in America today.

So – more-than-likely, at any given moment in time, at least three potential UConn starters will be on the bench this year. I still think that the UConn BENCH, which for this conversation becomes a constantly changing virtual bench, could well be a top ten team by February, 2018.

I took you seriously. And I think you're right. Which players will constitute "the bench"? Not certain, of course. But if four of the five starting positions are set- KLS, Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams, Napheesa Collier, then there's a pretty good notion of who will not be starting. Plug in another player for the 5th starter- Azura Stephens- and you have- sort of- "The Bench."

And that group of players would seriously challenge for Top 10 status.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I recently wrote a post that stated I believe that this coming UConn Woman's Basketball Team would have a top ten bench. Few took it seriously. In a way, I was incorrect. .
If you want us to take you seriously now, please go back and double check what you wrote.
What you actually wrote was that UCONN's bench could be A TOP 10 TEAM.
What you appear to be saying now is that UCONN's bench could be among the Top 10 benches in the country.
There should be no argument about the latter. The former was kind of well...... ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Realistically there isn't any way to make a Uconn bench that will be a top 10 team.

I gave it a shot just for fun.
  1. Danger vs Nurse (Bent)
  2. Coombs vs Andi
  3. MegW vs KLS (Gordon)
  4. Gabby vs Batouly (Irwin)
  5. Pheesa vs Azura
This is more of what I see as a balanced 5-on-5 scrimmage.

Reaction Score
If the starters played vs.the bench,the starters would win by about 90-50 in November and by about 85-55 in March.There will definitely be a clear drop-off between the two.Mostly that is a product of the starters being all american candidates at all 5 positions.Show me a bench on any other team where after the first 5 players are gone that the score of the UConn starters vs.their bench wouldn't be in the 120-35 range.This is how good UConn will be this coming season.

They don't have to beat the starters; they only have to beat Louisville (Creme's 10th team). (It is entirely possible that the starters would beat Louisville by 40-50, and if so by your math the bench would also beat them.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Okay, no one is arguing the bench won't be good. Inexperienced, as UC Miami points out, but good.

I'm not sure why one needs to insist on the idea that the bench (can we settle on the idea that "bench" means players that aren't the starting five?) would be a top 10 team. I mean, maybe, maybe not.

But, let's say that we all agree the players beyond the starting five are a top 10 team, what then?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Many BY'ers seem to be totally ignoring the contributions that will be made by Irwin and Bent. I can see them getting more minutes than most of the freshmen. It's not just physical ability that will earn playing time but also a mental toughness and determination that they both have. Also, they know the system and what is expected from the coaches. I don't think they want to sit as much as they did last season. As far as the whole team is concerned, in reality, UConn may or may not have as great a team as some think. However, potentially, they could be off the charts great, one of the best UConn teams ever, imo.
Glad you posted this. I was thinking just the other day how little attention KI and MB were getting. Natalie's departure makes KI a more important gear in the box. I'm eager for her to make a big sophomore jump.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom