Geno Looks At The 4 Returnees | The Boneyard

Geno Looks At The 4 Returnees

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

“They’re all better than they were last year,” Auriemma told media after the team had been on campus for only two weeks. “Anna’s completely different. She looks like a completely different person, completely different player. Aubrey’s, like, 100 times better than she was last year. Christyn looks completely different. Liv has a completely different mindset.”

“You go from freshman, sophomore year — where you’re playing but you’re really not a focal point of the team but you know you’re important — to now all of a sudden everybody’s looking at you going like, ‘Liv, Christyn, Evina, Anna, Aubrey, if you guys aren’t really, really good this year, we’re going to stink,‘” Auriemma said. “So there’s this sense [among the returners] of, ‘It’s my time.’
“And they’re embracing it. I love it.”

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Really good article. I'm not sure if this is the new Geno, but the past several years, including those comments, were, very complimentary of ALL the players. He's also gushed about Evina. He's also had positive things to say about some of the freshmen.

People in the past have talked about how the staff "breaks down" freshmen and then rebuilds them. I have never cared for that characterization since it implies "beating them down" physically, mentally and emotionally. But maybe that's really what it was like for freshmen in the past.

I totally get that the freshmen need to have bad habits changed, proper technique instilled, and it takes a year or 2 before all the new stuff becomes 2nd nature where they don't have to "think" about playing - they can just react.

But it does seem like Geno is becoming more and more a positive coach with his comments about players.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But it does seem like Geno is becoming more and more a positive coach with his comments about players.
I think he likes what he has. If you think about it, he asking young women who have never lead the team to step up. They've never really seen anyone do that. That is hard and they are going to have to figure it out.

Reaction Score
I think that Geno is really enjoying this group, perhaps more so than many he has brought in. Not only the talent but the personalities. Geno always seems to be more comfortable with players who come back at him rather than shrink away from confrontation. I think he's going to be happy for the next few years.

Reaction Score
Now that Geno has said very nice things about the all the frosh and returners, can we conclude that he has mellowed to an extraordinary degree, or is he saving the "tough Geno" for later? I suspect some of the frosh would be disappointed not to be on the receiving end of the legendary wisecracks from Geno they have been warned to expect. I don't think Geno has turned into a teddy bear and they can all expect to get raked by friendly fire once practices begin.

Reaction Score
It’s looking more and more like a January start with a conference schedule only and no spectators. As long as the NBA and WNBA keep playing without incident, that scenario becomes more likely. If the game survives a regular season, my bet is playoffs with 16 teams in a bubble for eight days.

Reaction Score

“They’re all better than they were last year,” Auriemma told media after the team had been on campus for only two weeks.

Sounds really great!!!!..................I just hope we get to see these new and improved Huskies on the court this season...........:eek:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here is an article focused on Anna. You know, the one who would ride the pine according to some around here.

"Anna’s completely different, she looks like a completely different person and a completely different player,” he said. “Her conditioning level is just a complete 180 from last year. And she spent a couple weeks with the national team over there in Poland. You can tell. She’s so confident and her quickness (is better), everything.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

“They’re all better than they were last year,” Auriemma told media after the team had been on campus for only two weeks. “Anna’s completely different. She looks like a completely different person, completely different player. Aubrey’s, like, 100 times better than she was last year. Christyn looks completely different. Liv has a completely different mindset.”

“You go from freshman, sophomore year — where you’re playing but you’re really not a focal point of the team but you know you’re important — to now all of a sudden everybody’s looking at you going like, ‘Liv, Christyn, Evina, Anna, Aubrey, if you guys aren’t really, really good this year, we’re going to stink,‘” Auriemma said. “So there’s this sense [among the returners] of, ‘It’s my time.’
“And they’re embracing it. I love it.”

This is the report on the team I’ve been waiting for.

Reaction Score
Here is an article focused on Anna. You know, the one who would ride the pine according to some around here.

"Anna’s completely different, she looks like a completely different person and a completely different player,” he said. “Her conditioning level is just a complete 180 from last year. And she spent a couple weeks with the national team over there in Poland. You can tell. She’s so confident and her quickness (is better), everything.”
Out of curiosity is a Polish woman eligible to be an All American? I suspect it could happen.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity is a Polish woman eligible to be an All American? I suspect it could happen.
Well, if a Russian can be All-American 3x, I would say so.

Trivia question: Has a WCBB team ever had 2 foreign All-Americans in the same season?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The Success of this Years team will be the same as it has been for the last couple of years. Will the Team be able to Rebound and score down low against the Elite Teams? IMO the play of Aaliyah Edwards might be key. If she can play a role similar to Morgan Tuck and be successful down low, this years team might surprise a lot of the experts like South Carolina did last year. It will be a young versatile team with plenty of scoring. Will they be able to REBOUND and win the Rebounding Battles when they play the Elite Teams?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I think the quote for Aubrey is 100x better. :D
Has she improved 100 %, or is she 100x better? Geno ,in his wisdom, brought in Ms.. Chassion with her 4.0 GPA to explain the mathematical concepts behind those assessments to the confused, but optimistic BY. We lost Molly but now have Autumn to explain those tough concepts. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Has she improved 100 %, or is she 100x better? Geno ,in his wisdom, brought in Ms.. Chassion with her 4.0 GPA to explain the mathematical concepts behind those assessments to the confused, but optimistic BY. We lost Molly but now have Autumn to explain those tough concepts. ;)

Just ,looking forward to her first 200 steal game. ;)

Reaction Score
I think that Geno is really enjoying this group, perhaps more so than many he has brought in. Not only the talent but the personalities. Geno always seems to be more comfortable with players who come back at him rather than shrink away from confrontation. I think he's going to be happy for the next few years.
Geno is the master motivator - I have tried for 20+ years to understand the full meaning of what he says. Have found it best to not put too much or too little emphasis on misc. comments. While I suspect Geno was happier with the teams that won consecutive championships, this group appears to be self motivated, a skill any coach loves.

Reaction Score
The Success of this Years team will be the same as it has been for the last couple of years. Will the Team be able to Rebound and score down low against the Elite Teams? IMO the play of Aaliyah Edwards might be key. If she can play a role similar to Morgan Tuck and be successful down low, this years team might surprise a lot of the experts like South Carolina did last year. It will be a young versatile team with plenty of scoring. Will they be able to REBOUND and win the Rebounding Battles when they play the Elite Teams?

If they play any elite teams it won't come until the last three games of the NCAA tournament. So they have 7 months to work and get ready. I just hope that Geno wasn't blowing smoke about their focus and competitiveness.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom