Geno knows what he got | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno knows what he got

Reaction Score
I’m not sure I see what you guys are seeing about Nika and Azzi. Admittedly, I didn’t track the numbers very carefully. But it looked like Azzi brought the ball up a lot, and quite purposefully. This seemed to be more pronounced in the second half. One inbounds play they ran seemed to make this even inevitable, with azzi inbounding the ball and receiving it back immediately. This had to be by design. But other times I seem to recall her simply receiving an inbounds pass.

In one recent presser, Geno suggested that who brings the ball up the court would not be so scripted and that there wasn’t an absolutely designated point guard role. But it’s clear that Nika and Azzi have both functioned as something like a point guard, at least in bringing the ball up and initiating a set offense. On other occasions, they bring the ball up and simply seize on an opening to “just go” as Geno sometimes says. This is more typical of Azzi than Nika.

Who’s better suited to this role? They are both very capable, though I think Azzi has the better handles and is less easily troubled by pressure. In the second half, Gonzalez was able to “stop” Nika with the ball, ie get her to pick up her dribble at the top of the key before she’d set anything in motion. This wasn’t a deep problem, but it did slow things a bit. I don’t think any of the Texas guards was able to get Azzi to even slow down. She never picks up her dribble without already knowing where the ball will go next. This comparison isn’t really fair to Nika, since Azzi is possibly the most talented player in the land, while she is merely an excellent point guard.

So, who should we prefer to bring the ball up the court? I’m not sure. Clearly Azzi can wreak havoc on opponents in this role. But there is a lot to be said for letting her play “off the ball” sometimes too. This means a partnership between Azzi and Nika may be the best option, on offense and defense. That first steal Nika engineered yesterday is a perfect example. She tipped a backcourt pass and scrambled for the ball, ultimately flipping it to Azzi for the immediate basket. Talk about sending Texas a message!

Reaction Score
I have never gotten hung up on the naming of positions per se. It seemed obvious to me from almost the beginning of the game Uconn was looking to have Fudd take the ball up, especially off the inbounds. Why? I am not sure but it certainly didn’t hurt any, TOs early, torrid shooting late from Fudd and Muhl got her opportunities pushing the ball; the sharing of the ball worked pretty darn well. I think the in-game adjustment may have been for Fudd to switch from initiating offense early, trying to get others involved, to hunting shots late.

Reaction Score
Geno made a great coaching decision for the 2nd half. He allowed Nika to still run fast breaks but after each Texas basket because he wanted the ball in Azzi's hands. He did that by making Azzi the point guard and allowed her to do anything she had to do to score, since he knows that when she shoots she has a high percentage of them going in. He felt the same way about Paige. He had to teach Paige and now Azzi how to be the great player that she can be. Azzi rose to the occasion. Some other things he knows he has.
1. Lou can score even against a good man to man pressure defense.
2. Aubrey could be now move from just an energy player to a scorer.
3. Nika is great leader who sets the defensive energy. She also penetrated to score and kick. We need more of this from her.
4. Our bigs need to keep out of foul trouble. It will keep them from being so passive on defense.
5. Caroline needs practice and game conditions but she played.
6. Our defense still needs work.
7. Dorka can protect the rim.
8. They can use the 5 man help defense to stop a big.

What else does anybody think Geno learned from top flight game conditions.
Nika is a beast...unreal.

Reaction Score
I think the move to have Azzi handling the ball was not a game adjustment but more about a season adjustment (Paige injury) to help elevate her game and elevate team play. It's much harder, face guarding Azzi,
when she's at the point verses her running to the wing and running the same UCONN offense that everyone knows pressure the wings to disrupt the rythm of the offense. At some point Lou and possibly Caroline and Aubrey will have a chance to get a taste of setting the half court offense as teams will look to take away Nika and Azzi as primary initiators of the offense.
Agree 100%. Especially since after bringing the ball up and initiating the offense, she moves so well without the ball.

Reaction Score
Too much talent......getting Ziebell, Sarah Strong, ATac with the 2023 recruits would make wcbb unfair.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom