Geno isn’t wrong | The Boneyard

Geno isn’t wrong

Reaction Score
We will know how far this team can go on Feb 8.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Let's think this over a bit. In 2012-2013 we lost to the gold dome 3 times, regular season and BE tournament. We couldn't handle late game crunch time. Then when the NCAAs started, Geno made a comment something like: "these kids are in the best place they've been in all year". Really? Really! We all know what happened when we played the dome in the semi final. So, I'm very content, at this juncture. Disappointed in our 2 juniors, but not despondent.

Geno and staff are the difference makers. Look what they've done with our 2nd, 3rd and 4th freshmen coming off the bench. I'm quite encouraged that the underclassmen will continue to mature at a reasonable rate and our sophs are nothing to sneeze at. Our one senior red shirt is really shaking off the cobwebs of not having played for way too many months. So, if our juniors continue to take temporary vacations, we are in pretty good shape to go a LONG way into the NCAAs.

I certainly want us to win against SC but that game will NOT define our team's readiness when March Madness arrives. So, even with a loss against Dawn's tournament champions, from a tournament that didn't happen ( ;) ;)), I am looking forward to what we will have, when the "chips are down". Win or lose, I love these kids and will be rooting from the bottom of my heart and to my wife's chagrin, hollerin' at that TV on the wall!
Go UConn! After all, I can't play golf any time soon!?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
My wife and I were talking about that were talking about that 2012 - 2013 season after Thursday's game. The team did not play well. Then came the playoffs and BOOM!!!!!!!! That season, BTW, was Stewie's freshman year. Her regular season play was anything but stellar. We all know the history.

Geno has said many times that this year's team is not a good shooting team. He has also said several times that they are not a good defensive team. He has also said that they are "uncoachable."

Now posters/ fans can carp all they want but Geno has been doing this for 34 years. His record speaks for itself. Being undefeated is not the end - all - be - all.

Time for people to relax.

Reaction Score
Let's think this over a bit. In 2012-2013 we lost to the gold dome 3 times, regular season and BE tournament. We couldn't handle late game crunch time. Then when the NCAAs started, Geno made a comment something like: "these kids are in the best place they've been in all year". Really? Really! We all know what happened when we played the dome in the semi final. So, I'm very content, at this juncture. Disappointed in our 2 juniors, but not despondent. Geno and staff are the difference makers. Look what they've done with our 2nd, 3rd and 4th freshmen coming off the bench. I'm quite encouraged that the underclassmen will continue to mature at a reasonable rate and our sophs are nothing to sneeze at. Our one senior red shirt is really shaking off the cobwebs of not having played for way too many months. So, if our juniors continue to take temporary vacations, we are in pretty good shape to go a LONG way into the NCAAs. I certainly want us to win against SC but that game will NOT define our team's readiness when March Madness arrives. So, even with a loss against Dawn's tournament champions, from a tournament that didn't happen ( ;) ;)), I am looking forward to what we will have, when the "chips are down". Win or lose, I love these kids and will be rooting from the bottom of my heart and to my wife's chagrin, hollerin' at that TV on the wall!
Go UConn! After all, I can't play golf any time soon!?

I hate long posts without paragraphs and usually don’t read them.

nevertheless I did read your post. It’s very good despite the dig.

Reaction Score
Y’all spoiled
Funny. For a team that almost never loses, we always hear this expression on the rare occasion that we do lose. I wouldn't call it "spoiled" to expect to beat the 25th ranked team (TN) or the 19th ranked team (Arkansas). We should beat teams ranked that far down in the polls. Expecting to beat teams ranked ahead of us is different. If we believe that we can never lose to anyone, even the best teams, that's "spoiled."

Reaction Score
Funny. For a team that almost never loses, we always hear this expression on the rare occasion that we do lose. I wouldn't call it "spoiled" to expect to beat the 25th ranked team (TN) or the 19th ranked team (Arkansas). We should beat teams ranked that far down in the polls. Expecting to beat teams ranked ahead of us is different. If we believe that we can never lose to anyone, even the best teams, that's "spoiled."

The title of the thread is "Geno isn't wrong."

IMO the spoiled comment was more to the criticisms of Geno in his in-game decisions, his use of bench, his recruiting, his style of play etc.

Sure he has made mistakes -- as any human being will. But I took the post as overall Geno still has UCONN as a powerhouse and he is still keeping the UCONN program elite.

Thus his overall coaching, his style and his vision still remains elite.

Reaction Score
With a loss, comes criticisms; with two losses, the dam breaks. And screaming at the TV set is good, cardio-pulmonary exercise. I screamed at Geno, after so many Arkansas guards were able to turn the corner and get a shot or get fouled, "GO BACK TO THE ZONE." Paige was still favoring the hurt ankle not able to stay in front of them.
I screamed at Geno to get Aubrey in the gym and not let her out until she had hit 20, 15 footers in a row. I screamed at ONO not to take perimeter shots.
I screamed at Kiah Stokes to try fifteen footers, and you saw how well that turned out. But she was there to get rebounds and stop the bleeding late, which she she did superbly.
As the team exited after a winning game in Tampa, I yelled "Thanks Geno", and I meant it.
He smiled and nodded his head. Geno, we are grateful.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm going to share an observation that I know will not only draw some sharp and bitter criticism, but darts and spears as well. I go back to the summer months when the temperature of the boneyard was warm and fuzzy. There was a hint of optimism in the air. The outlook for the team was good, and the expectations for the incoming freshmen and the team was high.

Everyday various posters were extolling the virtues of one or more of the players, and suggesting that this team had the potential of a championship run. There's an old saying that "when you hear something long and often enough, you start to believe it." That was the consensus in the yard back then. THIS UConn team would be much better and deeper than last year's team, and therefore expected to do much better in the win-loss column.

There were so many unknowns back then. We debated who the starting five would be for months (we do that every summer, and with Azzi coming in and no one leaving, we'll do it again THIS summer). While we were all basking in the glory of our team, we failed to recognize the other elites ranked in the top 10 were also getting better.

UConn Nation does not like to lose, and does not take a loss lightly. Because our (I'm part of the Nation who is looking at this thing from the inside out) expectations are so high, when we lose a game, even if its by a point or two, we become unhinged. I've been a regular here in the yard for 6 years. Long enough to know what was coming. I was right. Finger pointing, name calling (Nan posted a cease and desist warning about that), comments expressing disappointment flooded the forum. AND THAT'S OK!!!! That is exactly what this forum is for. A place for us to vent, express our disappointments, fears and anxieties as well as our glee and happiness (after a BIG win).

Being a UConn fan is like riding a roller coaster, lots of fast paced ups and downs, twists and turns. EVERYONE has the right to their opinion and to express that opinion. That is a FIRM staple of this forum and our society. I know what I think about the loss to Arkansas and the reason(s) why. I also found it very interesting to read the thoughts and concerns of other posters who watched the game and offered to share their take. Most of them were fair, accurate and spot on.

Win or lose, I can't wait to read the comments following the South Carolina game. Here we go, here comes the pushback. Based on what I've seen to this point, I don't think UConn will win that game. I'm not an harbinger of doom and gloom, nor am I a disciple of Chicken Little. I simply try to call them as I see them. This observation is based on their play versus Tennessee and Arkansas. Some will say you can't judge a team by two games.

Well, we judged our team last year on 3 games. Those are the best teams they've played to date. We had to hold on to beat a stubborn Tennessee team, and lost our grip late in the Arkansas game that was not decided until the final shot. I just don't like the tendencies this team has shown to date. I hope I'm wrong. I just don't like what the tea leaves are saying.

Until a "go to" player steps up, and until a "lock down" player steps up (both of which in my opinion are needed to go deep into the tournament), I just don't see this team getting to the final four. There are just too many other top 15 teams (Arkansas was ranked No.19 at the tip) that have improved enough this season to end UConn's run before that third weekend arrives. UConn will have to get by at least two of them. This is just one fan's opinion. It's almost time for the tipoff, enjoy the game everyone. Go Huskies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was a hint of optimism in the air. . . .

THIS UConn team would be much better and deeper than last year's team, and therefore expected to do much better in the win-loss column.

Until a "go to" player steps up, a

Got to run and be ready to watch more the game. But I disagree with your tone and your overall thought but I do agree with -- that they are not certain to go to FF. I agree with that. Though it can be COVID related too. And vs SC -- who knows. I don't. No predictions for me.

1-- As far as having the go-to player-- we have it. Paige. If you can't see Paige as the go-to player then I don't know what to say.

2-- This year's team is better than last year's team.

3-- There should be optimism in the air. Overall this a good team if they feature their go-to player which is Paige. What's impressive is that they played away from home in which their star player couldn't hit a thing and they still won.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Got to run and be ready to watch more the game. But I disagree with your tone and your overall thought but I do agree with -- that they are not certain to go to FF. I agree with that. Though it can be COVID related too. And vs SC -- who knows. I don't. No predictions for me.

1-- As far as having the go-to player-- we have it. Paige. If you can't see Paige as the go-to player then I don't know what to say.

2-- This year's team is better than last year's team.

3-- Their should be optimism in the air. Overall this a good team if they feature their go-to player which is Paige. What's impressive is that they played away from home in which their star player couldn't hit a thing and they still won.
If you read the opening sentence, you’ll see that I expected some push back, and few if any likes. Thanks for reading my post and taking the time to respond.

Reaction Score
If you read the opening sentence, you’ll see that I expected some push back, and few if any likes. Thanks for reading my post and taking the time to respond.

Yes I did.

And if you notice no darts or spears were lobbied. Just disagreement. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom