Geno Is A Damn Magician (paging Biff) | The Boneyard

Geno Is A Damn Magician (paging Biff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
To get this team to the Final Four? When it would have been entirely understandable to say "You know what? We don't have Maya...let me stick it to these jerks who don't fill Gampel and make them appreciate what they had." To get a team like this, to this point? Without a superstar? Without hype?

He's a freaking magician. This might be his best coaching job.

Win two more and there isn't even a doubt.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
To get this team to the Final Four? When it would have been entirely understandable to say "You know what? We don't have Maya...let me stick it to these jerks who don't fill Gampel and make them appreciate what they had." To get a team like this, to this point? Without a superstar? Without hype?

I am with you all the way. Geno AND STAFF have done an absolutely outstanding job this year.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I agree. We are playing at a very high level and more importantly our confidence is at a very high level. We are executing. If.... Repetition is the mother of skill, then UConn especially their defense is at a level that WCBB has never seen because of their execution. It is their defense and confidence that will propel them to a NC this season. One major difference Ive seen over this tournment it UConn seems to get better game by game.

Reaction Score
UCONN is playing the best slide step defense since 2002. Every player knows exactly where their help is coming from and where they need to be on all switches......They started this new look in the Big east Tourn and it frustrated ND into quick or bad shots....Now, they can force ND even farther away from the hoop before they are allowed to get into the offense

Sunday at 6:30 should be fun....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As I said at the beginning of the year, if we get to the FF, I would be very happy. Sooo I am. Anything else is frosting now. And I think we do have a decent shot. We know we can beat ND (of course they know they can beat us too). And Geno has never lost a NC game.

But however it plays out, I am happy with this season. :)

(prolly too positive, huh?)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I am going to say it. I believe that UConn has surpassed expectations. At the beginning of the season I figured UConn for 4 to 5 losses. I figured that UConn was a definite elite 8 team with an outside shot at gettting into the Final Four.

With the loss of Maya Moore...you had to figure this team would have a down year, ie., the loss of DT and the loss of Candace Parker for UT are examples of what can happen when a marquee player of the magnitude of DT, Parker or MM graduates from a program. I won't say we didn't skip a beat because we did have a few hiccups. The one that stands out in my mind was we should never have lost that St. Johns game....but on the other hand, it may have been a blessing in disguise.

At any rate, here we are going to Denver faced with Either of these four scenarios in route to an 8th Championship. 1. Playing a revenge seeking ND for the fourth time and evening out the year by going 2 and 2 with them and then facing an even more improved Baylor for the 2nd time who beat us the first time around on their home floor. 2. Playing a revenge seeking ND for the fourth time and evening out the year by going 2 and 2 with them and then facing a vastly improved Stanford for the 2nd time who we beat on our home floor. 3. We beat ND for the 2nd time out of four and lose to Baylor or Stanford in the final. 4. Or, God forbid we lose to ND after facing them for the 2nd year in a row for a fourth time.

Number 1 and 2 would be incredible achievements and would definitely put us in the over-achievement category. With this team far exceeding most peoples expectations and pulling off something extremely special that would have both Geno and the rest of his staff euphorically and pleasantly surprised at the will power and heart displayed by this team.

Number 3, would be almost as surprising as ND is loaded with experience with 2 starting 5th year seniors, All American Skylar Diggins, emerging star Kayla McBride and incredibly durable and efficient Natalie Novosel. I would still consider this scenario to be an over-achievement for this year's version of the Huskies. I would also have to wonder why Geno wasn't considered for the the coach of the year as achieving this following the graduation of Maya Moore is an incredible accomplishment.

Number 4 would be disappointing, however, when put in the context of pre-season expectations how can anyone not appreciate what this team has accomplished? They have gotten to their 4th final four in a row, their 10th in 13 years...and they gave themselves a chance for another national championship. Not to mention we will have a whole team of players who have had final four experience to go along with what could arguably be the best recruiting class ever at UConn. Sure, I am sure that everyone will think I am being sacrilegious for putting this class up there with TASS...but think about it Breanna Steward #1 (6'4" can play all five positions); Moriah Jefferson #2 (point guard of the likes we have never had at UConn) and Morgan Tuck #15, if anybody can believe that? (6'2" power forward who can shoot the three as she won the 3 point shooting contest at the McDonald's All America game). All I can say is a loss to ND in the first game would be disappointing but in the long run it would probably turn out to be motivation throughout all of next year.

Now, there is also this Tiffany is playing like she doesn't want her next game to be her last...when all the Huskies are on the same page and firing on all cylinders there isn't a team in the WCBB who can stay with us...(I can honestly say that hasn't happened all season...can you point to a game when all our players were hitting their shots? I would say no...So, we are due).

GO HUSKIES...WOOF!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
UConn lost Taurasi, then lost in the Sweet 16 the next year and the Elite Eight the following season.

UConn lost Moore, but made it back to the Final Four. And this year's team is younger than the 2004-2005 team, which had Crockett, Strother, and Turner as juniors (and Moore as a senior, if I recall correctly).

Reaction Score
UConn also didn't bring in Kalena Mosqueda-Lewis after Taurasi left. And this team didn't have its entire sophomore class transfer out. And didn't lose both players that played point guard to graduation. Jessica Moore was returning from an ACL injury suffered in the National Championship game the previous season. She didn't playing poorly, but she wasn't really in a position to expand her role. They had a number of players banged up and were missing key players in a number of their regular season losses. The only game missed due to injury by a rotation player this season was one game Doty sat out for precautionary reasons. They lost in the S16 as a 3 seed to a 2 seed. Win a couple more games and at a minimum they aren't facing a 2 seed in the S16. I don't think anyone will dispute that this team is more talented than the 04-05 team, but that 04-05 team had some additional challenges that went beyond just losing Taurasi. Not necessarily a Final Four team, but they should have at least been in the Elite 8.

UConn lost Taurasi, then lost in the Sweet 16 the next year and the Elite Eight the following season.

UConn lost Moore, but made it back to the Final Four. And this year's team is younger than the 2004-2005 team, which had Crockett, Strother, and Turner as juniors (and Moore as a senior, if I recall correctly).

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"I am going to say it. I believe that UConn has surpassed expectations. At the beginning of the season I figured UConn for 4 to 5 losses. I figured that UConn was a definite elite 8 team with an outside shot at gettting into the Final Four."

Seconded.

Reaction Score

I think Geno's game plan was brilliant. In watching some film on Kentucky he must have noted how they do not guard at arms length, more in your face defense. He ran backdoor, give and go, plus high screens off of his best passer, Stef. I know players win games and coaches lose them, so great, great coaching job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom