Geno Interview - Arkansas Pregame | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno Interview - Arkansas Pregame

Reaction Score
Oldhuskie, after listening to him, I thought the same thing. But, at this time, I’m willing to move on. I’m rooting for UCONN to win every game, while wishing the best for Kiki and UCLA.
I'm moving on too. It just kinda surprised me because for the most part I think the NIL will be more of an advantage than disadvantage for Uconn, but time will tell. On the national level I think the high profile of Uconn basketball will be a plus regarding NIL deals, with the exception that for more local level deals, perhaps being in a major metropolitan area would be a plus.

Geno has suggested that for many programs just a couple of kids will get deals, but if the team is good enough and popular enough, I think it might include a few more. I am reminded of the Super Bowl Shuffle Chicago Bears. They had all the endorsement angles covered, a great team that captured the imagination of the nation, lots of very interesting characters and personalities, and of course in a major metropolitan area.

They probably had twenty players getting endorsement deals, even the field goal kicker! So it wouldn't shock me if we had a half dozen players getting some kind of deals beyond just Paige and Azzi.

Reaction Score
I don't know if others picked up on this, but I sensed a little anger or frustration when Geno said some kids are picking schools based on NIL opportunities now, and not necessarily because of basketball. He sounded like someone who might be bitter about losing a recruit for that reason, which has me wondering if that was a big factor in Kiki's decision.

Many of us were surprised at her decision, not so much that it wasn't us, but because it wasn't Stanford or Duke either. We didn't see UCLA at the top of the basketball options or the academic options, so why UCLA? Hollywood? NIL opportunities in a huge market? I don't know and it is pure speculation on my part, but I thought Geno sounded like someone who had already seen decisions based on NIL, not just someone who was speculating that it would.
i immediately thought the same thing

Reaction Score
I don't know if others picked up on this, but I sensed a little anger or frustration when Geno said some kids are picking schools based on NIL opportunities now, and not necessarily because of basketball. He sounded like someone who might be bitter about losing a recruit for that reason, which has me wondering if that was a big factor in Kiki's decision.

Many of us were surprised at her decision, not so much that it wasn't us, but because it wasn't Stanford or Duke either. We didn't see UCLA at the top of the basketball options or the academic options, so why UCLA? Hollywood? NIL opportunities in a huge market? I don't know and it is pure speculation on my part, but I thought Geno sounded like someone who had already seen decisions based on NIL, not just someone who was speculating that it would.
UConn gets as much exposure as any team in women's college basketball..........if any school has an advantage with these new license opportunities it's Geno's team.......do you think South Carolina, Baylor, Louisville, Oregon, Maryland etc are in markets that would lend themselves to major media exposure? UCLA has had limited success in WBB and unless a player becomes a huge attraction there she's just another good player on a team with limited NC opportunities.....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

With all do respect, while UCLA may be close to Hollywood, WBB has nowhere near the same profile as it does at UConn. Rice is a smart young lady. I seriously doubt she chose UCLA because of her NIL opportunities.

Reaction Score
UConn gets as much exposure as any team in women's college basketball..........if any school has an advantage with these new license opportunities it's Geno's team.......do you think South Carolina, Baylor, Louisville, Oregon, Maryland etc are in markets that would lend themselves to major media exposure? UCLA has had limited success in WBB and unless a player becomes a huge attraction there she's just another good player on a team with limited NC opportunities.....
Yes, UConn gets the best players. What about the players for UConn that have to give up their personal goals to a degree for the good of the team. Wouldn't Nika start on 99% of teams in America? The question is, will NIL have a negative effect on UConn, regarding recruiting and even team togetherness and camaraderie?
With all do respect, while UCLA may be close to Hollywood, WBB has nowhere near the same profile as it does at UConn. Rice is a smart young lady. I seriously doubt she chose UCLA because of her NIL opportunities.
Be willing to explore the possibilities. Everything doesn't have to catch the world by surprise.
Things are happening at a feverish pace. Google, internet, social media, multi-trillion dollar government initiatives, businessmen building spaceships..... As a poster said, the horse left the barn. What's it gunna look like?

Reaction Score
A player's value in NIL is only as good as their last season. I remember when Mickey Mantle had his huge season leading all the statistical measurements. He was on top of the world. After the next year when he did not win all 3 the Yankees wanted him to take a pay cut. People have a short memory of who is the best.

Reaction Score

maybe cause there's more important things in life to raise money for such as cancer research, people who are starving for food than some silly feelings being hurt over Nil?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
whoa! i wouldn't bet on that. at his age (and many BYers) he's just as likely to see it as the final straw and conclude 'ah, f-- it. i don't need this kind of crap' and go off to golf, family and a great life of leisure. in fact. i'd think that is the more likely result.

Let's just say I complete disagree with you.

Reaction Score
whoa! i wouldn't bet on that. at his age (and many BYers) he's just as likely to see it as the final straw and conclude 'ah, f-- it. i don't need this kind of crap' and go off to golf, family and a great life of leisure. in fact. i'd think that is the more likely result.
I strongly believe Roy Williams retired due to the transfer portal. You look at his championship teams, guys that would stay 3-4 seasons. The teams he had one and done players just were not championship level.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I read the comments in this thread about the effect of NIL before I watched Geno's actual interview. Having now listened to the interview, I think it is a near certainty that when Kiki Rice talked to Geno about her decision to go to UCLA, she mentioned NIL prominently. What else would he be reacting to? Now, maybe it was an excuse rather than the real reason for her decision, but just her mention of it probably caught Geno by surprise and clearly gave him some heartburn.

If that happened, then my first reaction is that Kiki's parents, or whoever else was advising her, were very astute to suggest to her that she ought to factor in NIL possibilities when making her decision. That is today's real world, and a top recruit with any chance for NIL opportunities would be foolish not to consider when choosing her college. (Although Geno did compliment Ice and Ayanna for never mentioning it, which also makes me think that he was making an unfavorable comparison to some other recruit that has recently been in focus for him. Who could that be?)

But still, one would think that UConn would offer excellent NIL opportunities. After all, what other program gets such constant publicity, year after year, than the one with 11 NC's and 13 consecutive Final Fours? But, thinking about it a little further ...

NIL may put a premium on being a big fish in a medium-sized, though not a small, pond. Kiki might well have calculated that even though UConn is in the public eye much more than UCLA for women's basketball, UConn's big names like Paige and Azzi would grab the lion's share of NIL opportunities for UConn players. At Stanford, Cameron Brink and Lauren Betts might do the same thing. But at UCLA, she has a very realistic chance to be the best player on a pretty good team -- one that may not compete for National Championships, but will consistently be in the Sweet 16 and will get on national TV two or three times a year. So, whatever NIL opportunities come to the UCLA women will probably find their way to her door. In other words, she will be the Bruins' Paige. And, given the size of the LA media market, that may be a larger NIL catch for her that what she could expect as UConn's 3rd or 4th best player.

There is a certain business rationality in that decision-making process.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I read the comments in this thread about the effect of NIL before I watched Geno's actual interview. Having now listened to the interview, I think it is a near certainty that when Kiki Rice talked to Geno about her decision to go to UCLA, she mentioned NIL prominently. What else would he be reacting to? Now, maybe it was an excuse rather than the real reason for her decision, but just her mention of it probably caught Geno by surprise and clearly gave him some heartburn.

If that happened, then my first reaction is that Kiki's parents, or whoever else was advising her, were very astute to suggest to her that she ought to factor in NIL possibilities when making her decision. That is today's real world, and a top recruit with any chance for NIL opportunities would be foolish not to consider when choosing her college. (Although Geno did compliment Ice and Ayanna for never mentioning it, which also makes me think that he was making an unfavorable comparison to some other recruit that has recently been in focus for him. Who could that be?)

But still, one would think that UConn would offer excellent NIL opportunities. After all, what other program gets such constant publicity, year after year, than the one with 11 NC's and 13 consecutive Final Fours? But, thinking about it a little further ...

NIL may put a premium on being a big fish in a medium-sized, though not a small, pond. Kiki might well have calculated that even though UConn is in the public eye much more than UCLA for women's basketball, UConn's big names like Paige and Azzi would grab the lion's share of NIL opportunities for UConn players. At Stanford, Cameron Brink and Lauren Betts might do the same thing. But at UCLA, she has a very realistic chance to be the best player on a pretty good team -- one that may not compete for National Championships, but will consistently be in the Sweet 16 and will get on national TV two or three times a year. So, whatever NIL opportunities come to the UCLA women will probably find their way to her door. In other words, she will be the Bruins' Paige. And, given the size of the LA media market, that may be a larger NIL catch for her that what she could expect as UConn's 3rd or 4th best player.

There is a certain business rationality in that decision-making process.
I will say it again. For WBB players, and for college athletes in general, the opportunities to make money from NIL in LA will be limited at best. LA is a pro sports town with the Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Rams & Kings. Outside of sports, there’s all kinds of things to distract people: the CA coast, Hollywood & Disneyland to name a few. UCLA WBB is just not that big a deal in CA.

I think Rice had a number of reasons that she chose UCLA. I seriously doubt that NIL was one of those reasons.

Reaction Score
Yes, UConn gets the best players. What about the players for UConn that have to give up their personal goals to a degree for the good of the team. Wouldn't Nika start on 99% of teams in America? The question is, will NIL have a negative effect on UConn, regarding recruiting and even team togetherness and camaraderie?

Be willing to explore the possibilities. Everything doesn't have to catch the world by surprise.
Things are happening at a feverish pace. Google, internet, social media, multi-trillion dollar government initiatives, businessmen building spaceships..... As a poster said, the horse left the barn. What's it gunna look like?
let's see exactly how many college WBB players end up with decent contracts..........I suspect only the very best players or players with a quirky angle ala TikTok (beauty, twins, wacky personality) will benefit from the new NIL situation........

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score

Bingo...I see you caught that... Geno was definitely throwing shade at you know who and what. Geno has this habit of throwing shade indirectly at a situation. He did the same thing towards his class of 2017 that jumped ship in an interview...same tactic no names but you knew where the crumbs led.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
let's see exactly how many college WBB players end up with decent contracts..........I suspect only the very best players or players with a quirky angle ala TikTok (beauty, twins, wacky personality) will benefit from the new NIL situation........
You are completely right with your assessment. That’s how it usually goes for influencers you’re either the best at what you do (whether that’s sports, makeup, tik tok dances lol), you have an interesting angle/perspective, you surround yourself with other influencers or in a few cases pure luck with going viral.

I just hope, the players with less opportunities don’t take it to heart too much or have any jealousy. I think UCONN does a pretty good job of recruiting kids with a certain personality/attitude that will hopefully not get too down/jealous of their teammates.

Reaction Score
Sure but not helpful as fodder for the press. Best to Just try and guide the kids in private.
I’d bet dollars to donuts that he wanted to send that message to UCONN’s “players of interest” also .
If he didn’t, he wouldn’t have said it.
Ability to communicate is one of Geno’s gifts.

Reaction Score
You are completely right with your assessment. That’s how it usually goes for influencers you’re either the best at what you do (whether that’s sports, makeup, tik tok dances lol), you have an interesting angle/perspective, you surround yourself with other influencers or in a few cases pure luck with going viral.

I just hope, the players with less opportunities don’t take it to heart too much or have any jealousy. I think UCONN does a pretty good job of recruiting kids with a certain personality/attitude that will hopefully not get too down/jealous of their teammates.
it's also possible that some good players will be attracted to playing in a great program with an established superstar or two where they might gain some financial advantage by just being in the star's orbit.........I could see a Bueckers or Fudd attempting to get their teammates a paying appearance of some kind now and again if possible......

Reaction Score

I did pick up on it but I thought he was making a different oblique point which was that the coaches were potentially( or actually) using NIL as a recruiting option in the transfer portal or as new recruits. Schools and coaches are prohibited from any involvement in NIL but how hard is it for a coach to say "if you come here call this guy and he will hook you up with an NIL deal?" How different is that from arranging for a job or a house for a parent through a booster or a money stream? I just think with the NIL and the portal simultaneously, you are inviting the fox into the hen house and the NCAA will not be doing anything about it.

The NCAA is just incomprehensible at times and clearly threw the baby out with the bath water when they confronted the hardship waiver issue. Let's get rid of this problem and not have to make decisions and be subject to criticism or potential legal action. Let everybody transfer. Who cares about the mid majors? If they lose their best player to being "monetized" as Geno coined the term, it's their problem.

Reaction Score
it's also possible that some good players will be attracted to playing in a great program with an established superstar or two where they might gain some financial advantage by just being in the star's orbit.........I could see a Bueckers or Fudd attempting to get their teammates a paying appearance of some kind now and again if possible......
It's been speculated here that there might be a big sneakers deal for Paige in the near future. It could be "Nika's Sneakas" for her slime twin. Of course, unless Nika gets a work visa, it would have to be a deal done in Croatia. Nika (and Dorka and Edwards for that matter) can make money in their home countries, right? Isn't Nike a Chinese company?? I don't know, ask the NBA... What's the difference?

Reaction Score
It's been speculated here that there might be a big sneakers deal for Paige in the near future. It could be "Nika's Sneakas" for her slime twin. Of course, unless Nika gets a work visa, it would have to be a deal done in Croatia. Nika (and Dorka and Edwards for that matter) can make money in their home countries, right? Isn't Nike a Chinese company?? I don't know, ask the NBA... What's the difference?
Nike is an American company headquartered in Beaverton, Oregon, outside of Portland. That said, it is hugely multinational. They also do very lucrative endorsement deals with female athletes, Alex Morgan and her soccer cleats for example. I'm sure there are plenty of others as well.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom