Geno Interview - Arkansas Pregame | The Boneyard

Geno Interview - Arkansas Pregame

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
But I wish he would not try to get into the subtleties and perceived hidden issues of the NIL stuff. The horse has left the barn.

Reaction Score
But I wish he would not try to get into the subtleties and perceived hidden issues of the NIL stuff. The horse has left the barn.
But it is a legitimate concern for a coach.
Could greatly affect the team chemistry.
Theoretically, does a teammate that averages 20 points a game on 39% shooting and tooling around campus in a Beemer create friction with a player that averages 11 rebounds a game and drives a ‘09 Hundai?
Yeah, that COULD create a problem.
Coach has a right to be concerned.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
But it is a legitimate concern for a coach.
Could greatly affect the team chemistry.
Theoretically, does a teammate that averages 20 points a game on 39% shooting and tooling around campus in a Beemer create friction with a player that averages 11 rebounds a game and drives a ‘09 Hundai?
Yeah, that COULD create a problem.
Coach has a right to be concerned.
Sure but not helpful as fodder for the press. Best to Just try and guide the kids in private.

Reaction Score
I don't know if others picked up on this, but I sensed a little anger or frustration when Geno said some kids are picking schools based on NIL opportunities now, and not necessarily because of basketball. He sounded like someone who might be bitter about losing a recruit for that reason, which has me wondering if that was a big factor in Kiki's decision.

Many of us were surprised at her decision, not so much that it wasn't us, but because it wasn't Stanford or Duke either. We didn't see UCLA at the top of the basketball options or the academic options, so why UCLA? Hollywood? NIL opportunities in a huge market? I don't know and it is pure speculation on my part, but I thought Geno sounded like someone who had already seen decisions based on NIL, not just someone who was speculating that it would.

Reaction Score
Geno says Paige and Azzi "deserve it" with respect to NIL. Why do they deserve it? Definitely picked up on a little bitterness about NIL.

Reaction Score
We'll have to see how much of a problem NIL truly becomes. So far I haven't seen any "big money" deals...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't know if others picked up on this, but I sensed a little anger or frustration when Geno said some kids are picking schools based on NIL opportunities now, and not necessarily because of basketball. He sounded like someone who might be bitter about losing a recruit for that reason, which has me wondering if that was a big factor in Kiki's decision.

Many of us were surprised at her decision, not so much that it wasn't us, but because it wasn't Stanford or Duke either. We didn't see UCLA at the top of the basketball options or the academic options, so why UCLA? Hollywood? NIL opportunities in a huge market? I don't know and it is pure speculation on my part, but I thought Geno sounded like someone who had already seen decisions based on NIL, not just someone who was speculating that it would.
NIL is going to have a range of unintended and unforeseen consequences, but it required no crystal ball to realize it would have a profound impact on recruiting. Schools and programs perceived to offer the best "platforms" for a player to build their "brand" (I'm trying not to cringe when I use these terms) will have a huge leg up.

Much like the transfer portal, it's a growing and irreversible part of the WCBB landscape, and all programs and coaches, UConn/Geno included, need to adapt.

Reaction Score

If it was a factor in Rice's decision she's about to find out what it's like to play in relative obscurity versus being on national TV every other week. There's a reason there's an east coast bias when it comes to sports (hint: it's where all the people live).

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First - a very good and informative interview. Geno rarely disappoints.

As to NIL, I believe Geno expressed the concerns of a lot of coaches and fans. No one knows how this will shake out over the next few years, especially the NCAA. Are athletes going to choose a school based on NIL promises - yes. Are coaches going to use potential NIL agents/ sponsors as a recruitment tool - hell yes. Money talks to a lot of people. It's just another aspect to recruiting.

Do I think all this NIL stuff will bring the big money some have said - no.

Geno will adapt. He always has, but on his timeline. He is using the portal to fulfill the needs of the program. Dorka is the prime example.

Reaction Score
I'm disappointed in your laissez faire attitude. This is a biggee. It has to be managed diligently. I believe student-athletes should be fairly compensated. Yes, the horse has left the barn, but it doesn't have to knock your house down. Yes, the boogie man is actually here, not just lurking in the shadows. It needs to be kept under control. Your 18 year old child can drive now. The situation still has to be managed. (analogy alert- oops too late for that)

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
First - a very good and informative interview. Geno rarely disappoints.

As to NIL, ....
Geno will adapt. He always has, but on his timeline. ....
whoa! i wouldn't bet on that. at his age (and many BYers) he's just as likely to see it as the final straw and conclude 'ah, f-- it. i don't need this kind of crap' and go off to golf, family and a great life of leisure. in fact. i'd think that is the more likely result.

Reaction Score

Oldhuskie, after listening to him, I thought the same thing. But, at this time, I’m willing to move on. I’m rooting for UCONN to win every game, while wishing the best for Kiki and UCLA.

Reaction Score
Geno says Paige and Azzi "deserve it" with respect to NIL. Why do they deserve it? Definitely picked up on a little bitterness about NIL.
Maybe because they have worked so hard to reach this level without allowing the hoopla and adulation to turn them into narcissistic jerks? I think concern is probably closer than bitterness.

Reaction Score
Maybe because they have worked so hard to reach this level without allowing the hoopla and adulation to turn them into narcissistic jerks? I think concern is probably closer than bitterness.
So the other players on the team don't work hard?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
First of all, UCLA is a WORLD-CLASS university. It competes well with research universities across the world. As of a few years ago, more students applied for admission to UCLA than any other school in America. It is clearly one of the very finest public universities in America. So it may not be Stanford (most schools aren't), and it may not quite be Duke, but UCLA most certainly qualifies as high academics.

Second, there are upwards of 38 million people in California, a huge share of which reside in Southern California. But the "relative obscurity" is still a good point, because the competition for attention, media coverage, and being an "it" person will be huge.

I wish her well, and I hope she helps Coach Close get over the hump regarding national stature.

Reaction Score
So the other players on the team don't work hard?
Very tricky topic! Should be a major thread I believe. (give poor Liv and Dorka a rest)
Geno IMO speaks in code. When he mentioned Azzi and Paige TWICE in his comments, I believe he was speaking to THEM. That he expects their behavior in all facets to remain as it is. Sort of reminding them of their responsibility IMO.

Reaction Score

Very wise point, I mentioned a week ago that Storrs just can't compare to LA. Allthough Silicon Valley would not have been a bad choice either. Definitely could see Nil playing a role especially when you got these schools like Oregon with Nike who do everything from their sport teams.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
First of all, UCLA is a WORLD-CLASS university. It competes well with research universities across the world. As of a few years ago, more students applied for admission to UCLA than any other school in America. It is clearly one of the very finest public universities in America. So it may not be Stanford (most schools aren't), and it may not quite be Duke, but UCLA most certainly qualifies as high academics.

Second, there are upwards of 38 million people in California, a huge share of which reside in Southern California. But the "relative obscurity" is still a good point, because the competition for attention, media coverage, and being an "it" person will be huge.

I wish her well, and I hope she helps Coach Close get over the hump regarding national stature.
Should have said: "I wish Kiki well." I had her name in there somewhere but cut it out and failed to replace.

Reaction Score

I feel like Geno is fine with NIL as long as it doesn't impact his process.. I'm sure every coach feels that way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom