Geno: Huskies Hiding Weaknesses | The Boneyard

Geno: Huskies Hiding Weaknesses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He sounds as if he's tiptoeing barefoot through shards of glass instead of skipping through daisies. While we all expect our ladies to go all out every time, there is more than enough motivation for the freshmen to show their wares given the chance--which they will get during conference play. So NO LET DOWN will occur. Realistically, only USC has a chance to end the streak. Our edge is playing the Gamecockies in CT. Go on, Geno, dare to DREAM.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
He sounds as if he's tiptoeing barefoot through shards of glass instead of skipping through daisies. While we all expect our ladies to go all out every time, there is more than enough motivation for the freshmen to show their wares given the chance--which they will get during conference play. So NO LET DOWN will occur. Realistically, only USC has a chance to end the streak. Our edge is playing the Gamecockies in CT. Go on, Geno, dare to DREAM.

Our biggest edge against USC is not that we are at home (we do some of our best work on the road) but USC can really have some real stinker offensive games. The curse of the SEC. They simply do not have an elite offense and when they get into these 4 minute scoreless stretches, we will have one of our 12 pt runs and that will be that. If the game is close due to some inspired offense, (30% chance;)), we will simply shut down the biggest offensive threats during some half time tweaks.

Of course, the only real threat are the officials but hopefully, they will decide they don't want to take over the game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
USC is a puzzle to me. Lots of talent milling around a diminished SEC and an indifferent OOC schedule. The Balcomb hire was a telling admission by Staley IMO, together with the 1 year recruits. Any given night they can do something special, but mostly I see them as underachievers who are less than cohesive. Could they win it all - absolutely. Is it likely? Nope.

Reaction Score
Auriemma: UConn Hiding Weaknesses, With UCF Next Up

"We hide our warts, we hide our faults."

"What we're living now, what this is, is something you can't even dream....You shouldn't even be allowed to dream it....."

"I'm not ready to anoint them a great team...."

Geno: I'll give (this team) them the benefit of the doubt--unless the prove me otherwise. (about them be mature)
Hiding their WARTS--WEAKNESSES? Not very well---everyone knows what they are--and they came around to bite Geno's tail in the Md game==after he goes beyond the starting 5--the reliability drops off dramatically. Will the AAC games fix that??

Reaction Score
USC is a puzzle to me. Lots of talent milling around a diminished SEC and an indifferent OOC schedule. The Balcomb hire was a telling admission by Staley IMO, together with the 1 year recruits. Any given night they can do something special, but mostly I see them as underachievers who are less than cohesive. Could they win it all - absolutely. Is it likely? Nope.
USC is like many Top 5 or 7 teams (with the movement I don't know who is what number) load of talent and individually if they are allowed to run rampant--they will beat you--when they must play as a team--not so much.
One of the many (open) secrets of uConn is they can play you one on one or beat you as a team--your defense gives them the choice. Do I think USC can beat UConn --yes. But don't think i have any expertise --i picked Baylor and nD to beat Uconn--what do i know////????

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno: I'll give (this team) them the benefit of the doubt--unless the prove me otherwise. (about them be mature)
Hiding their WARTS--WEAKNESSES? Not very well---everyone knows what they are--and they came around to bite Geno's tail in the Md game==after he goes beyond the starting 5--the reliability drops off dramatically. Will the AAC games fix that??

He does keep knocking on wood doesn't he. But you would too. In his place you would be thinking: "This is a dream isn't it. I'll be waking up any second now."

Reaction Score
Geno has seen everything that can be seen resulting from where his team stands with ''''FANS''''. He has seen himself anointed as God --and then some ready to hang him for not bringing home the National Championship he (and he alone) promised to do the April previously. His fan adulation is either very high or very low--this high can drop off during any given game--and he knows it.
Uconn players in total shall never all fail to perform unless sick or foul hobbled. This group believes Geno's every word.

Reaction Score
He does keep knocking on wood doesn't he. But you would too. In his place you would be thinking: "This is a dream isn't it. I'll be waking up any second now."
You are right---last game I saw him knocking on his head!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno has seen everything that can be seen resulting from where his team stands with ''''FANS''''. He has seen himself anointed as God --and then some ready to hang him for not bringing home the National Championship he (and he alone) promised to do the April previously. His fan adulation is either very high or very low--this high can drop off during any given game--and he knows it.
Uconn players in total shall never all fail to perform unless sick or foul hobbled. This group believes Geno's every word.

Am I missing something? Was there ever a time when fan adulation has not been high? Of course, you can have a few ungrateful fans spout off on some fan forum but I doubt anything substantial:confused::confused:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Actually, that's exactly what he should do...

Because if any thing.they're a great team (as in teamwork)

(Of course, not wanting to tell Geno what to do.) :)
At least in this instance.

Happy New Year All.
Happy New Year to you. And don't spend too much time on Haydn. Or at least enjoy some wine or whiskey in the interim.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Will the AAC games fix that??

It better, to a degree. I think it was Lou who said (maybe Kia?) that at UConn your freshman thing is over midyear. The opportunity to play substantial minutes in our AAC conference schedule will be important to our 3 freshman and the team. We need them to be reliable role players. CD - can do much more. I have no doubt all 3 can be contributors.

Reaction Score
Am I missing something? Was there ever a time when fan adulation has not been high? Of course, you can have a few ungrateful fans spout off on some fan forum but I doubt anything substantial:confused::confused:
Go back to the late 1990 between championship --Geno with the Charde teams got a lot of "advice" on what he needed to do to make his team work. There were some others but this one come immediately to mind. Because I had Geno's email address then and he welcomed fan's comment (as long as they were positive) then he cut that off ---and had sweet words for some fans and fans comments in the courant (which he professed not to read).

Reaction Score
Damn Courant won't let me read do-do. Monthly article limit. Bah! I demand a recount.
Right click the link and select "Open link in Incognito Window" (using Chrome, anyway).

Reaction Score
It better, to a degree. I think it was Lou who said (maybe Kia?) that at UConn your freshman thing is over midyear. The opportunity to play substantial minutes in our AAC conference schedule will be important to our 3 freshman and the team. We need them to be reliable role players. CD - can do much more. I have no doubt all 3 can be contributors.

I think it was Bobby knight that said: after February there are no Freshmen basketball players--i.e. they are integral members of the team or they are sitters. (notice i like the most controversial sport personalities)

Reaction Score
Damn Courant won't let me read do-do. Monthly article limit. Bah! I demand a recount.
Got to Google type in Courant: uconn (in this case) type UCF and you see a list of articles --pick one related to the thread]

no account needed --read the full article--have fun.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

just take the title and google it...comes right up Gratis

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Happy New Year to you. And don't spend too much time on Haydn. Or at least enjoy some wine or whiskey in the interim.

Haydn has been put aside for a study of postwar New York indy orchestras...
But right now is ski time in the NE Kingdom

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Remember that Geno is a perfectionist. Yes, this team is not as good as last year's. It may not be a great team, but it is a tough team and may be a championship team.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Right click the link and select "Open link in Incognito Window" (using Chrome, anyway).
Incognito mode not available for me on that site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom