Geno hints at more roster additions | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno hints at more roster additions

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I am still trying to interpret this statement of Jeff's

Westbrook, the No. 2 rated player in the nation in 2017 behind Walker, evidently wanted to know why UConn hadn’t pushed harder to get her the first time around. She was dragging out her recruiting, so UConn took their chances on a couple of players that wanted to come. It didn’t work out. And now? Well, now they are fixing it. Evina is Ms. Fix-It.

My best interpretation is ???

UConn had an open offer to Evina but did not fawn (give promises?) over her to the level she felt she deserved. She took too long to decide and Geno had to change direction?

Is this comment of Jeff's based on well known facts or deduction? :confused::confused:
I don’t infer that Evina required fawning at all. I’d guess Geno & his assistants didn’t go to as many of Evina’s games as, say, Paige’s, and Tennessee’s coaches did.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I don’t infer that Evina required fawning at all. I’d guess Geno & his assistants didn’t go to as many teams f Evina’s games as, say, Paige’s, and Tennessee’s coaches did.
I kind of read it as a "you're either in or you're out kind of thing. Westbrook didn't commit so UConn moved on.

I do think the UConn culture will be a bit of culture shock for Evina. I think she wants to be here, though, so she'll adjust.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I kind of read it as a "you're either in or you're out kind of thing. Westbrook didn't commit so UConn moved on.

I do think the UConn culture will be a bit of culture shock for Evina. I think she wants to be here, though, so she'll adjust.
Culture shock as in she will be expected to (and be pushed to) the max limits of her abilities so she can be the best player that she can/wants to be? Culture shock in that the coaches will actually TEACH her how to run offense, how to read defenses, motion offense, help defense, etc etc?

I imagine it will be the kind of culture shock she's craving...!!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Culture shock as in she will be expected to (and be pushed to) the max limits of her abilities so she can be the best player that she can/wants to be? Culture shock in that the coaches will actually TEACH her how to run offense, how to read defenses, motion offense, help defense, etc etc?

I imagine it will be the kind of culture shock she's craving...!!
Yeah that... and living Dailey's world. Dress, comportment, social media use, etc.

Reaction Score
I don’t infer that Evina required fawning at all. I’d guess Geno & his assistants didn’t go to as many teams f Evina’s games as, say, Paige’s, and Tennessee’s coaches did.

Tenn must have people in the NW to spread their good news. Russell, Nared and Westbrook all were top 5 recruits from the NW and all picked Tennessee while very few top 5 players from anywhere else went with Knoxville. I'm sure the Vol coaches worked hard but I'm also sure they worked hard all over the country and yet Oregon was the only consistent success. Are those three players linked in any way?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Tenn must have people in the NW to spread their good news. Russell, Nared and Westbrook all were top 5 recruits from the NW and all picked Tennessee while very few top 5 players from anywhere else went with Knoxville. I'm sure the Vol coaches worked hard but I'm also sure they worked hard all over the country and yet Oregon was the only consistent success. Are those three players linked in any way?
Yes. 1) Same AAU team (I think) 2) Holly failed to coach any of the three onto a first team AA list.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
My Italian isn't very good.
Just point to your UConn hat and make dribbling motions with your hands. She will either get the message or think you are offering her the hat to go home with you for bouncy-bouncy. Either way it might work out ok.

Reaction Score
Svelt or thin? He looks like he's ridden the devil and barely won. Standing on a repaired knee is required, but not always painless. Give the guy MUCHO credit, out on the circuit.
I like his assessment of Ania, if she proves all he believes I will be on happy camper. She is coming to CT where the population of Polish speaking peoples may impress her, she may find a few Ania Grandma's as Sveta did.

Geno’s mother loved Svet and often chastised Geno for yelling at her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I do recall Geno recounting one that went pretty much like this: 'She come all this way to play for you and you yell at her! No wonder people don't like you.'
And Geno is thinking, "Thanks a lot, Mom!" :D

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Geno; "I'm not recruiting any more damn foreigners!" Mama; "Geno, you are a damn foreigner!" (Or something a lot like that. Quoted from shaky memory.)

Reaction Score
ONO will be starting the remainder of her time at UConn. Anyone here think otherwise?

I do. I highly doubt she will. On a minor note Geno has benched Stewie and Tuck and Tina Charles (though I'm not sure if it was to start a game.). But imo ONO is a non-aggressive player at times and because Geno will want her to become more of an aggressive player -- there will be practices he'll get disgusted with her and she won;t start. Nor did he start Stevens despite the fact the year before I believe Miss State blitzed UCONN on the glass at least for a half. IMO ONO is the type of player Geno is going to have to be a very hard coach with and I'd guess she certainly expects it.

If ONO didn't start one regular season game throughout next year (I don;t expect that to happen just giving a hypothetical) and UCONN gets Westbrook accepted, and ONO comes off the bench, how many games you think UCONN loses as a maximum?

ONO can still get very, very, very, very good minutes without starting -- though I would expect she'd start a lot. But I'd be shocked if it was every game.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
It's unfathomable that Liv would not be a starter next year. I expect her to be a dramatically improved player next year, one who should not merely make an impact on UConn BB, but on the national scene of all of WCBB.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yeah that... and living Dailey's world. Dress, comportment, social media use, etc.

I think she has already aptly demonstrated that she knows how to use social media for effect. That may not be a skill that Chris Dailey appreciates. :confused:

Reaction Score
Eric
Will be actively following your advice, tomorrow at Taormina.
Recruiting time!
(Hope I don't get arrested)

Love that place.................some of the best views and best gelato in existence.......................the only bad part is waiting in long lines to catch the funicular down to the beach.........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom