Geno has the right attitude on Big games | The Boneyard

Geno has the right attitude on Big games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno knows that fans and TV only want to see and pay for big games and Big name teams. Geno's comment that he does not care if he wins or losses is why UCONN will play anybody and anytime. The reason most of the top 20 teams will not play UCONN is they are worried about losing and what their record will be.......When, wins and losses does not matter anymore, you will get teams like Stanford, UNC, Duke, OU, TAM to get outside their comfort zone for the good of the game and to expose their team to the best teams and filled arenas across the country. Come tournament time they are ready for big games........The reason UCONN beats most of the top 10 teams by 25+ points is they do not play outside their little worlds and the more they play the better for WCBB in general. Watching the game against UNC on Monday, UCONN will win by 25 or more, but its not that they are scared, their is a huge level of talent difference...........ACC teams are very good in their league, but against top ten teams on the road, they fall apart......They need to play more games like Monday and they will learn how to win in the top 10, too.......Bravo to UNC, DUKE on playing big games.

I hope that message sinks in to all top 25 teams......MD has finally seen the light and good for them. Now, we need for Penn State to step up and get on a big boy schedule......

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
Bravo to UNC, DUKE on playing big games.

I hope that message sinks in to all top 25 teams......MD has finally seen the light and good for them. ......
Bravo to UNC? Their OOC schedule has two ranked teams, one in the top 10. Maryland also has two, none in the top 10.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"Geno's comment that he does not care if he wins or losses"

Huh? X2

Reaction Score
Geno's comment that he does not care if he wins or losses is why UCONN will play anybody and anytime. ......
Couple comments by two notables:
Bill Cosby: Riiiiight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
General Herbert Norman Schwarzkopf: Bovine scatology!

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Geno knows that fans and TV only want to see and pay for big games and Big name teams. Geno's comment that he does not care if he wins or losses is why UCONN will play anybody and anytime. The reason most of the top 20 teams will not play UCONN is they are worried about losing and what their record will be.......When, wins and losses does not matter anymore, you will get teams like Stanford, UNC, Duke, OU, TAM to get outside their comfort zone for the good of the game and to expose their team to the best teams and filled arenas across the country. * * * * * * * * *

There are, without doubt, several factors that affect who plays who outside of the league & NCAA tournaments. You've pointed out one of the more popular factors. Another factor, that rarely gets mentioned is the effort and cost of travel.

Currently, there are only a handful of schools that have the logistical capability to move their little circus to any appropriate US location. Driving the school's travel bus 500 miles in one thing; driving the very same bus 3000 is an entirely different beast. Then consider the financial issues:: it is likely only a handful can pay the costs needed to sustain a national OOC campaign. Before anyone let's their sensitive nature gets to twisting of knickers because of this terribly unfair advantage that centrally located schools like TN & ND hold over us, just keep it in mind that Holy Cross, SHU, Fairfield, College of Charlestown are all in the same boat we are... the schools located in the western half of the country won't play them either. It couldn't hurt to remember that just because it is a fact that UConn is one of very few that can travel to any NCAA Member school's gym, the reverse is just as much a fact for most schools. [Oh, how this unfairness bothers my sensitive soul... Someone should call Commissioner Gordon!]

Like most East Coast teams, we are out of reach for most schools beyond Kansas. Only the most successful and well funded schools are able to agree to play us with or without reciprocal arraignments. So, before we even start building a season we have lost nearly half of the country as possibilities. But, as we all know, for every rule there is an exception.

Special arraignments have been made to play schools in order to fulfill a UConn player's "home" game. Although these "onesies" are by definition a UConn funded issue, occasionally one of these far away teams does collect their milk money and travel east to Storrs because their coach wants his players and staff to experience the UConn program or because the national exposure might open up new recruiting areas for the coaches school.

Ah, Geography.... Obviously, more centrally located schools can & do travel to both coasts. The Vols, ND, LSU, Kentucky, ... will have this advantage until either travel costs become insignificant and/or most programs have sufficient funds to make the journey beyond half of the country.

I hope that message sinks in to all top 25 teams......MD has finally seen the light and good for them. Now, we need for Penn State to step up and get on a big boy schedule......

We all watch the game for our own reasons. I used to pay much stricter attention to the competitive elements... now I watch for the elegant beauty of a very hard thing performed with grace and the illusion of simplicity.

I still enjoy the games pitting a top ten team against our Huskies, but there is something to be said for ballet. The athleticism, the grace of every movement, the elegance of hard things made to look as if they are so very simple to perform draws my attention these days. Although these performances occur against both highly ranked and unranked teams, they do occur more frequently against lower ranked and unranked teams. BTW, I have always loved cupcakes and can't remember a time I passed up a good cream-puff.

Sometimes we hit those very same marks... most call those games:: "UConn Basketball" with it's perfectly timed passes and Gazelle like leaps ending in a finger roll for a basket. It all looks so easy. Think back to the Championship game against TN where we backdoored them into oblivion. That year, TN was just another Cupcake or maybe... just another Cream-Puff?

Our team has often played basketball with all of the elegance and simple beauty of ballet while the Vols were and forever will be, just another Top tier basketball team playing rebound and chucker-ball.

UConn basketball is different... It can be and has been a thing of beauty. More times than not we have seen that thing of beauty displayed against the lesser teams. This does not diminish the accomplishment of attaining something that the other schools with "better" schedules have never attained:: Beautiful Basketball.

Thank god there is no defense in ballet.

Your Ol' Pal Boo

Reaction Score
Very good work and your post is timely........Watch the UNC game on Monday, it will look like they never play WCBB before they got to Storrs.......Some how, UNC will have a difficult time scoring the ball and UCONN will press them from end to end and force 25 + turnovers........I am hoping for the opposite, but history tells us a different story...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Very good work and your post is timely........Watch the UNC game on Monday, it will look like they never play WCBB before they got to Storrs.......Some how, UNC will have a difficult time scoring the ball and UCONN will press them from end to end and force 25 + turnovers........I am hoping for the opposite, but history tells us a different story...
I'm not hoping for the opposite. I like seeing UCONN crush teams.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I like seeing UConn crush the pretenders. Like Duke last year, ND in the big ESPN game, UNC a couple of years ago, but UConn 120, Holy Cross 12 not so much.
I often find myself rooting for the Holy Cross types, yelling for their shots to go in. No big deal at home but I've gotten some nasty glares at Gampel.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I like seeing UConn crush the pretenders. Like Duke last year, ND in the big ESPN game, UNC a couple of years ago, but UConn 120, Holy Cross 12 not so much.
I can see that.
I often find myself rooting for the Holy Cross types, yelling for their shots to go in. No big deal at home but I've gotten some nasty glares at Gampel.
I don't feel that sorry for them.;)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I can see that.

I don't feel that sorry for them.;)

Aw c'mon. Haven't you ever wanted to see some kid on a cream puff team go off on UConn and score 30. Fifty years later she could tell her grandkids all about the night she owned the mighty Huskies.

As long as UConn wins the game of course.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Aw c'mon. Haven't you ever wanted to see some kid on a cream puff team go off on UConn and score 30. Fifty years later she could tell her grandkids all about the night she owned the mighty Huskies.

As long as UConn wins the game of course.
Only one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger