Geno halted the 3 pt barrage | The Boneyard

Geno halted the 3 pt barrage

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
From Rich Elliot's article:

“I don’t know how you can be better,’’ UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “I don’t know how you can be better. We actually at one timeout in the second half we just said, `Look, I don’t want you to shoot any more 3s. I want us to score in the lane now. I want us to score some other way.’ We stopped shooting them."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

“I don’t know how you can be better,’’ UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “I don’t know how you can be better. We actually at one timeout in the second half we just said, `Look, I don’t want you to shoot any more 3s. I want us to score in the lane now. I want us to score some other way.’ We stopped shooting them."
Yea he put the brakes on a lot of stuff. Had them play zone defense, no press, no trapping.

In last week's Geno Show, he mentioned a game from a few years back where UCONN was up so much at the half, that he asked CD what kind of defense UCONN could play so the other team could run some offense and score a little.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
no....likely he was learning how to run an offense...he's a smart kid

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
He would be absoluty nowhere in the coaching ranks if not for his mother so I would pump the brakes on his basketball smarts.
I think you miss the point of Rady's post. She is saying he is smart - not a basketball savant. I assume she is also chiding that UT is not know for running a fluid offense, and last night he was witness to an offensive masterpiece.

With that said, the kid played D-1 ball at a large school - maybe because of his mother. And, thanks to his mother, he has also been around the court his entire life, something I wish I could do for my kid - but I doubt they would learn anything from me.

Reaction Score

Listen, I have heard/read many people knocking Geno and the team on the number of three-point shots they attempt. But you know what, if you have the shooters and the shot is there, you take it. But I think this season especially, there is even more to all this three-point shooting. I think it's a specific strategy being implemented to take down Baylor. Everyone knows that you are not going to beat Baylor (consistently) in the paint or by taking it to Griner. But you can shoot it over her...and at three points a pop, you only have to make 33% of the shots to break even, and currently the Huskies are doing much better than that, hitting almost 38% of their three's. Combine this with a defense that is only allowing opponents to make just over 30% of their shots and you have a recipe for success. The only game UConn lost was by one-point in a game they only shot 21% on 3's. This could well happen again, but as long as UConn is close late in the game, I like their chances.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Listen, I have heard/read many people knocking Geno and the team on the number of three-point shots they attempt. But you know what, if you have the shooters and the shot is there, you take it. But I think this season especially, there is even more to all this three-point shooting. I think it's a specific strategy being implemented to take down Baylor. Everyone knows that you are not going to beat Baylor (consistently) in the paint or by taking it to Griner. But you can shoot it over her...and at three points a pop, you only have to make 33% of the shots to break even, and currently the Huskies are doing much better than that, hitting almost 38% of their three's. Combine this with a defense that is only allowing opponents to make just over 30% of their shots and you have a recipe for success. The only game UConn lost was by one-point in a game they only shot 21% on 3's. This could well happen again, but as long as UConn is close late in the game, I like their chances.
Nice post.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I think you miss the point of Rady's post. She is saying he is smart - not a basketball savant. I assume she is also chiding that UT is not know for running a fluid offense, and last night he was witness to an offensive masterpiece

thank you bruin that is precisely what I meant. CONNFAN23, feel free to follow your own whims on this, for we must at this point agree to disagree

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
And with KML now back in 1st place in the nation over Maggie Lucas, why not shoot 'em. Also, 3pt misses tend to rebound further and with Stef playing high post, our rebounding against Griner could be enhanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom