Geno goes gaga over the supersophs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno goes gaga over the supersophs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
After I read the article, and this particular sentence: "From a point production standpoint, heading into Sunday’s action the only teammates with more combined points per game than the 39.2 coming from Collier and Samuelson were Washington’s Kelsey Plum and Chantel Osahor and Syracuse’s tandem of Alexis Peterson and Brittney Sykes".

I got curious, and looked up Washington's schedule, and Syracuse's schedule. An interesting observation can be made here: Both of these teams have lost to the only "ranked" teams they've played so far this season.

Both teams have played a very soft OOC schedule to date.
The level (strength) of competition that UConn has played, versus the level of competition the other two tandems have played should be taken into consideration when making those comparisons.

To say that the other two tandems have scored more to date than Collier and Samuelson is fine, but if our girls are doing it against top 15 teams, and the others are doing it against mid-majors, and teams ranked in the top 50-125 range, THAT fact must also be noted. How may points would our girls average if UConn played the same schedule Washington & Syracuse did, and visa versa? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
2 sisters, 2 pretty girls, 2 AA

12079233_986487064743469_6562016960734299900_n.jpg

Reaction Score
After I read the article, and this particular sentence: "From a point production standpoint, heading into Sunday’s action the only teammates with more combined points per game than the 39.2 coming from Collier and Samuelson were Washington’s Kelsey Plum and Chantel Osahor and Syracuse’s tandem of Alexis Peterson and Brittney Sykes".

I got curious, and looked up Washington's schedule, and Syracuse's schedule. An interesting observation can be made here: Both of these teams have lost to the only "ranked" teams they've played so far this season.

The level (strength) of competition that UConn has played, versus the level of competition the other two tandems have played should be taken into consideration when making those comparisons.

To say that the other two tandems have scored more to date than Collier and Samuelson is fine, but if our girls are doing it against top 15 teams, and the others are doing it against mid-majors, and teams ranked in the top 50-125 range, THAT fact must also be noted. How may points would our girls average if UConn played the same schedule Washington & Syracuse did, and visa versa? :rolleyes:

Great point. Also, because UCONN usually is blowing out most none Top 25 teams they would actually not get much run in the 4th where other teams may need to play their top players longer. I am actually pretty impressed by both and that is coming from someone that thought they should have started #1 until they lost.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Great point. Also, because UCONN usually is blowing out most none Top 25 teams they would actually not get much run in the 4th where other teams may need to play their top players longer. I am actually pretty impressed by both and that is coming from someone that thought they should have started #1 until they lost.

We're joined at the hip with respect to your very last observation. :)

Reaction Score

They are all excellent scorers. I always like to look at how efficient the players is in addition to how much they score. (If I score 20 points but take 22 shots to do it am I better than the player who scores 18 points but only takes 11 shots?). If you look at their 2pt and 3pt shooting percentages, Collier/Samuelson are more efficient than any of the other four.

Collier: 68%/50%
Samuelson 49%/48%
Oshafor 48%/35% (last year, couldn't find this year's statistics)
Plum 40%/36% (last year)
Sykes 35%/23%
Peterson 45%/45%

None of these statistics tell the whole story but when you play the tougher competition AND are more efficient against that better competition, that says a lot.

Reaction Score
And so I said "if". Her staying would have made this team so exciting and athletic. Opposing coaches would have had to register a flight plan.
Apparently her up side was good or better--
My point--was not about your IF she stayed---how good or how bad she would have been--apparently good in BB--by the story in the media her academics were not good so she didn't travel with the team--the next thing we knew --she was leaving.

Reaction Score
They are all excellent scorers. I always like to look at how efficient the players is in addition to how much they score. (If I score 20 points but take 22 shots to do it am I better than the player who scores 18 points but only takes 11 shots?). If you look at their 2pt and 3pt shooting percentages, Collier/Samuelson are more efficient than any of the other four.

Collier: 68%/50%
Samuelson 49%/48%
Oshafor 48%/35% (last year, couldn't find this year's statistics)
Plum 40%/36% (last year)
Sykes 35%/23%
Peterson 45%/45%

None of these statistics tell the whole story but when you play the tougher competition AND are more efficient against that better competition, that says a lot.
Efficiency--is a good measure!! Some, maybe more than some, high scoring players throw the ball up a lot ---and count on probability to do the rest---it only works if your team rebound well--
This years team does not have the BIG's to cover their hoisting too many shots--so Collier, Samuelson, and even Gabby are shooting
with efficiency. Have you noticed that Dangerfield since her concussion--isn't throwing them up like her 19 point performance--her efficiency isn't as good.

Reaction Score

Carnac

Reaction Score
1. I thought UConn would struggle to score this year. I was wrong
2. I thought KLS would struggle as the number one scoring option. I was wrong.
3. I thought Pheesa would not be able to score inside against post defenders. I was wrong.
4. I thought UConn would struggle with defending the post and defensive rebounding. I was kinda wrong.
5. I didn't think KLS was tough enough to consistently score inside. I was wrong.
6. I have never been so happy to be so wrong.

Well.........you came into the boneyard to confess your sins, and that was RIGHT!!!! You are forgiven. Go and sin mo more. :)

Reaction Score
You could regard Gabby as a soph too considering her switch to a new position and her lost time with injury in HS.
Maybe we could consider Caroline Doty a junior now. Doesn't Shea have any eligibility left?

Reaction Score
It would have been 3...Because I think DeJanae would have made the sophomore leap just like Lou and Pheesa.
Unfortunately , it was not to be.
I wasn't under the impression that she was nearly as talented as are Napheesa and Katie Lou. I'm not sure that any leap she took (if still here) would have compared to these two!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wasn't under the impression that she was nearly as talented as are Napheesa and Katie Lou. I'm not sure that any leap she took (if still here) would have compared to these two!
For what it's worth, Hoopgurlz had Lou #1, Pheesa #6 & Boykin #23. With Boykin missing most of her senior season in HS due to her injury it may have limited her development somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom