Geno Gives Reassurance On Retirement | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno Gives Reassurance On Retirement

Reaction Score
He said Paige and Azzi were the best players in high school, better than Jones, Boston, Horston, et al. He also thought that each could give UConn 15 good minutes when they were high school sophomores. They are THE recruits. Azzi will be Class of 2025. I’m guessing that’s about Geno’s retirement date.
I respect your thoughts and opinions.
I'm not guessing: Geno would do Uconn and Himself a dis-service should he announce or someone announce for him that 2025 is his magic date. That date should become a STATE SECRET. It is great to go out a big winner but after nearly 40 years it is greater to leave a top team to his successor.

Reaction Score
It's a valid point, though I'd posted this anticipating a mild enthusiasm before the "howevers" started to appear. It's also a fact that at any moment some little thing in your blood stream may find itself to the wrong part of your brain and turn the lights out.

And there is a counterpoint to your observation about comfort and when it is no longer comfortable. Do you want to sit around with infirmities or discomfort or do things that just might inspire you to keep on trucking? Geno has said before that he'll keep on doing it as long as he enjoys it so this is not so much news as a status report.
Infirmities HOWEVER may slow us down, depending of the extent, where and how, but if you LOVE what you are doing it often deludes the brain into thinking all is well. If Geno gets all he hopes to get over the next decade he may stay. Not that the new 75 is he old 35 but fun in doing what you love out weighs a lot--except that bubble to the brain switch. maybe I'll try switching off lights with the brain waves.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I strongly suspect Tara wants a third national title before she retires, and she's got the pieces to make a credible run at it for the first time in a decade over the next few years, so I'd be very surprised if she were to retire any time soon.
Color me cynical but considering her last title was 1992 and most consider her lucky to get to her last 3 final fours, I just don’t see it. Especially with the PAC12 considerably stronger than ever before with Oregon, Oregon St, UCLA and Arizona St as perennial talented and coaching rich programs, I don’t think she is ever winning another title. I respect the heck of her but she is not someone I would bet my life on to win a game.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Muffet's two years younger but she doesn't seem to face the same retirement questions. Tara is the same age as Geno. I don't hear it asked of her much. Maybe that because I don't pay as much attention to those programs.
Tara is June 1953, Geno is March 1954 and Muffet is December 1955. Coaching wise Tara has the bigger edge as a HC starting in 1978 with Idaho, Muffet in 1982 with Lafayette and then Geno in 1985. If coaching is like dog years due to travel, parents and practices, TVD is 369, Muffet is 259 and Geno is 168, so plenty of years left. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Color me cynical but considering her last title was 1992 and most consider her lucky to get to her last 3 final fours, I just don’t see it. Especially will with the PAC12 considerably stronger than ever before with Oregon, Oregon St, UCLA and Arizona St as perennial talented and coaching rich programs, I don’t think she is ever winning another title. I respect the heck of her but she is not someone I would bet my life on to win a game.
She has multiple outstanding talents coming in. I suspect the PAC-12 will belong to Stanford after next year. I think Oregon will too strong next year, but who knows what Jones and Belibi will bring.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I see a competitive PAC-12 conference next year, but Stanford should be a top 5 team for much of HaJo's career.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom