Geno Gives Reassurance On Retirement | The Boneyard

Geno Gives Reassurance On Retirement

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
At Wednesday's fan get together:

“I don’t think there’s anybody in life that after you’ve done something, in my case, 44 years I’ve been coaching … that doesn’t wake up some mornings and say, ‘Do I really want to keep doing this?’ I think that’s just human nature,” Auriemma, 65, said. “If you say, ‘No, every day’s a new day for me,’ you’re not being honest I bet. We all go through that.

“The difference is, you ask yourself, ‘Why would I feel like that?’ he continued. “Is it because it’s gotten really hard or it’s gotten too easy? Is it because I don’t want to deal with the bureaucratic part of it or I’m tired of the travel? If it’s, ‘I don’t like my job because I don’t like my practice, I don’t like being around the players, I don’t like trying to put my team together, I don’t enjoy that anymore,’ that’s not happened.”

Auriemma: ‘Not a great summer’ for UConn icons in WNBA

And judging by recent events the "superstar" still enjoys flying 13 hours to have dinner with a recruit and her family. ;)

Reaction Score
However, anyone who has passed that age recognizes that the ability to do these things comfortable can change at any time. It is different with every individual. Some people are still going strong up to their 80's while others don't even last to their sixties. Even with good genetics, health issues can knock you out really quick.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Muffet's two years younger but she doesn't seem to face the same retirement questions. Tara is the same age as Geno. I don't hear it asked of her much. Maybe that because I don't pay as much attention to those programs.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Muffet's two years younger but she doesn't seem to face the same retirement questions. Tara is the same age as Geno. I don't hear it asked of her much. Maybe that because I don't pay as much attention to those programs.
It has come up a lot with Tara for years. Indeed, there were allegations that "impending retirement" rumors were part of what led Pivec to go with Oregon State instead. Tara's contract extensions tends to be for only 3 or 4 seasons at a time, and Stanford and Tara have not, historically, extended them much before they expire, which leads to creeping anxiety leading up to each re-extension. The most recent extension was done in 2017 and extends to the end of this upcoming 2019-20 season, so expect the whispers and rumors to begin again. However, given the top caliber recruits Stanford has gotten lately, I think the rumors won't seem very plausible this time; last cycle, there was a hint of credibility to them because we had been in a down cycle in terms of recruiting, and that tends to feed on itself in terms of how high schoolers view the long-term trajectory of your program. Kate Paye also turned down the opportunity to take the head coaching job at Washington and USC, and some read that as signaling she would become the head coach at Stanford sooner rather than later.

I strongly suspect Tara wants a third national title before she retires, and she's got the pieces to make a credible run at it for the first time in a decade over the next few years, so I'd be very surprised if she were to retire any time soon.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It has come up a lot with Tara for years. Indeed, there were allegations that "impending retirement" rumors were part of what led Pivec to go with Oregon State instead. Tara's contract extensions tends to be for only 3 or 4 seasons at a time, and Stanford and Tara have not, historically, extended them much before they expire, which leads to creeping anxiety leading up to each re-extension. The most recent extension was done in 2017 and extends to the end of this upcoming 2019-20 season, so expect the whispers and rumors to begin again. However, given the top caliber recruits Stanford has gotten lately, I think the rumors won't seem very plausible this time; last cycle, there was a hint of credibility to them because we had been in a down cycle in terms of recruiting, and that tends to feed on itself in terms of how high schoolers view the long-term trajectory of your program. Kate Paye also turned down the opportunity to take the head coaching job at Washington and USC, and some read that as signaling she would become the head coach at Stanford sooner rather than later.

I strongly suspect Tara wants a third national title before she retires, and she's got the pieces to make a credible run at it for the first time in a decade over the next few years, so I'd be very surprised if she were to retire any time soon.
I can't see either Geno or Tara retiring before they pass Pat Summitt so that's at least one more year, likely two. Beyond that who knows? I guess we enjoy it as long as we can.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
However, anyone who has passed that age recognizes that the ability to do these things comfortable can change at any time. It is different with every individual. Some people are still going strong up to their 80's while others don't even last to their sixties. Even with good genetics, health issues can knock you out really quick.

It's a valid point, though I'd posted this anticipating a mild enthusiasm before the "howevers" started to appear. It's also a fact that at any moment some little thing in your blood stream may find itself to the wrong part of your brain and turn the lights out.

And there is a counterpoint to your observation about comfort and when it is no longer comfortable. Do you want to sit around with infirmities or discomfort or do things that just might inspire you to keep on trucking? Geno has said before that he'll keep on doing it as long as he enjoys it so this is not so much news as a status report.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I can't see either Geno or Tara retiring before they pass Pat Summitt so that's at least one more year, likely two. Beyond that who knows? I guess we enjoy it as long as we can.

I also think, to some extent, they're waiting one another out. I think they both want to retire at the top of that win list.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't worry about Tara with her genes. Her 91 year old mother lives in Boulder and attends every Colorado game. I assume she cheered for Stanford at their game at CU this season--they needed all the help they could get. Even with their best player out with an injury, CU nearly upset the Cardinal

Reaction Score
I doubt Geno is going anywhere while Paige Bueckers is part of the program.......................coaching her is going to be a lot of fun for him and if Fudd joins the party that will just extend the party even longer............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is something else to consider when discussing Geno’s retirement. Geno is still a fierce competitor. I watched him coach every single possession in the Elite 8 game vs Louisville like his life depended on it. After whiffing on the top 3 recruits in the class of 2019, he flew around the world signing up international players, locking in top transfers as well as the #1 rated recruit in the class of 2020.

Geno very much wants another championship or two, or three before he hangs up his coaching whistle. He knows all too well that playing golf with his buddies for $20 a hole just won’t satisfy his competitive drive. Let’s hope Geno coaches forever.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

In Jan. he said if he got two recruits he was after, he would coach at least five more seasons. I interpreted that to mean five years beyond the freshman season of Bueckers or Fudd.

He didn't say it, but it appears pretty obvious he thinks if he gets both of them on the team we will win a few more titles.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I guess we enjoy it as long as we can.

I think this is a very important point that some are too busy ruminating over the crisis of losing in the semi finals and such little things to really appreciate. We don't know how much we have left in the "Geno era". We can be pretty sure that there will be a sea change in the program after he leaves. Enjoy the gift we have as such a dynasty may never be replicated.

Reaction Score
It's a valid point, though I'd posted this anticipating a mild enthusiasm before the "howevers" started to appear. It's also a fact that at any moment some little thing in your blood stream may find itself to the wrong part of your brain and turn the lights out.

And there is a counterpoint to your observation about comfort and when it is no longer comfortable. Do you want to sit around with infirmities or discomfort or do things that just might inspire you to keep on trucking? Geno has said before that he'll keep on doing it as long as he enjoys it so this is not so much news as a status report.
Geno and many Div one top 10 coaches are not held back by AGE. They can retire anytime after holding the job 5 to 10 years (depending on investments and ability to save). So, anyone that thinks NOW Geno CAN retire-rethink that, he could have retired 10 years ago. He likes what he does and apparently his HEALTH is really good. At any age you can have pains and issues, but they pass even at at age 70 or 80. He is lucky he has a backup crew that can cover his bases. Geno will stay until he becomes really unhappy with many players , the Administration, the NCAA, and the game--in that order. He, in my bet has at least 10 more years in his bag of tricks. A really good attorney too has that ability to retire at will, I've been told.

Reaction Score
Nobody, who really loves WBB, wants Geno gone. He is the icon all are measured by and will be so far a long time.
ICON's that WIN stay a long time, loser not so long.

Reaction Score
Lon
I think this is a very important point that some are too busy ruminating over the crisis of losing in the semi finals and such little things to really appreciate. We don't know how much we have left in the "Geno era". We can be pretty sure that there will be a sea change in the program after he leaves. Enjoy the gift we have as such a dynasty may never be replicated.
Long time Uconn WBB fans don't let a loss at the NC, FF, Elite 8, 16 damage their love of this team and it's quality of playing. Johnny come latelys are here to cheer on any Winner. Yet, true fan can and do comment or inspect losses, that's what fans do, on any team, any league, any game.
Geno loves it, he could have retired 10 years ago. People with decent bank accounts don't live by AGE alone.

Reaction Score
I think this is a very important point that some are too busy ruminating over the crisis of losing in the semi finals and such little things to really appreciate. We don't know how much we have left ... We can be pretty sure that there will be a sea change ... after he leaves. Enjoy the gift we have as such a dynasty may never be replicated.

I feel same way about the Biff era of posts.
:)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Lon

Long time Uconn WBB fans don't let a loss at the NC, FF, Elite 8, 16 damage their love of this team and it's quality of playing. Johnny come latelys are here to cheer on any Winner. Yet, true fan can and do comment or inspect losses, that's what fans do, on any team, any league, any game.
Geno loves it, he could have retired 10 years ago. People with decent bank accounts don't live by AGE alone.

Like Nika. Planned a decision mid-summer after 5 campus visits. Watched UConn give away Nat'l Semi and said: I don't need no stinkin' visits. UConn's game is it for me. Sign me right up! Takes some smarts and maturity.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In Jan. he said if he got two recruits he was after, he would coach at least five more seasons. I interpreted that to mean five years beyond the freshman season of Bueckers or Fudd.

He didn't say it, but it appears pretty obvious he thinks if he gets both of them on the team we will win a few more titles.
He said Paige and Azzi were the best players in high school, better than Jones, Boston, Horston, et al. He also thought that each could give UConn 15 good minutes when they were high school sophomores. They are THE recruits. Azzi will be Class of 2025. I’m guessing that’s about Geno’s retirement date.

Reaction Score

They just have to get past that pesky 16 seed.

Reaction Score
He said Paige and Azzi were the best players in high school, better than Jones, Boston, Horston, et al. He also thought that each could give UConn 15 good minutes when they were high school sophomores. They are THE recruits. Azzi will be Class of 2025. I’m guessing that’s about Geno’s retirement date.

I agree 100%! Paige and Azzi are the two players I wanted on UCONN the most. We have Paige and I will be shocked if Azzi doesn't follow. I believe UCONN will get some quality big's to go along with these two.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The last time I heard about Azzi it was that they were waiting on some healing of her MCL before she had ACL repair. Anyone with fresh news on this? I know a lot of youngsters do just fine coming out of such things, like Gabby for instance, but I always get nervous until I see the rehab.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The last time I heard about Azzi it was that they were waiting on some healing of her MCL before she had ACL repair. Anyone with fresh news on this? I know a lot of youngsters do just fine coming out of such things, like Gabby for instance, but I always get nervous until I see the rehab.
I think the MCL rehab was going to take a few months.

Reaction Score
What you say has truth on its side: Everyone is different. All in good health should realize you are correct but must believe they shall have many good years ahead too. I'm well beyond 70, with minor bumps, I am able to do many things I once thought not for those of this age.
I never jogged, ran a lot as a kid and played hours of BB so my knees took a beating yet walking for an hour or so isn't difficult.
As I have repeatedly said: AGE for those who stayed out of debt as they aged and made more than decent money (like Geno) 65 isn't a magic number he, financially, could have retired 20 or more years ago. I hung on past 70. Working isn't always WORK.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom