Geno gives his POY endorsement | The Boneyard

Geno gives his POY endorsement

Reaction Score
Geno has officially endorsed Collier as his POY. “I don't know that there is a better player anywhere that does as much every night. I'm sure people already made up their mind about who the best player in the country is, or who the national Player of the Year is, but I just don't know that there is anyone that on every single night does all the things that Naphessa does."

I think we all understand Ionescu is the front-runner but I don’t believe this race is over. Could be a year with multiple winners. With all the triple double talk, Collier is averaging more points & rebounds than Ionescu. Pheesa is also the better defender.

This has officially turned into a 2-horse race. Durr also in the convo but a little gap between her and Pheesa.

Reaction Score
Geno has officially endorsed Collier as his POY. “I don't know that there is a better player anywhere that does as much every night. I'm sure people already made up their mind about who the best player in the country is, or who the national Player of the Year is, but I just don't know that there is anyone that on every single night does all the things that Naphessa does."

I think we all understand Ionescu is the front-runner but I don’t believe this race is over. Could be a year with multiple winners. With all the triple double talk, Collier is averaging more points & rebounds than Ionescu. Pheesa is also the better defender.

This has officially turned into a 2-horse race. Durr also in the convo but a little gap between her and Pheesa.
POY will be determined by the tournament, the player that shows out in this year’s tournament will have to show it against top level competition. I realize this is a year award but this race is has so many contenders ( Brown, Big Tee, Collier, Durr, Ionescu, KLS, Gusterson) that I believe the Tournament performance will be the deciding factor for POY. Fitting I think.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Thank you Geno!!!!

Reaction Score
POY will be determined by the tournament, the player that shows out in this year’s tournament will have to show it against top level competition. I realize this is a year award but this race is has so many contenders ( Brown, Big Tee, Collier, Durr, Ionescu, KLS, Gusterson) that I believe the Tournament performance will be the deciding factor for POY. Fitting I think.
All signed, sealed & delivered based only on regular season & conference tournaments. Usually announced during FF.

Reaction Score
All signed, sealed & delivered based only on regular season & conference tournaments. Usually announced during FF.
I did not know that. Seems to be missing a vital component by not considering the tournament. Who picks? hope experts like Creme are not involved, I would rather the coaches decide with stipulation they can not vote for any player on their team.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Of course Geno isn't biased at all. How many of the other candidates has he actually seen play this year? Every coach that has a player in the running will endorse their own player. Not sure what this proves. Did anyone actually think he would name a player from another team?

edit--I think the only thing this really means is that he's saying Collier is more deserving than KLS, maybe he's hoping to avoid voters splitting their votes among the 2 UConn candidates.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Collier is averaging more
rebounds than Ionescu

You're comparing a post player to a PG. Collier is supposed to rebound more. How does that even mean anything?

Anigwe is averaging SIX more rebounds per game than Collier and more points as well, so clearly she's a more deserving candidate, right?

Reaction Score

I put several players ahead of Durr.

Reaction Score
Of course Geno isn't biased at all. How many of the other candidates has he actually seen play this year? Every coach that has a player in the running will endorse their own player. Not sure what this proves. Did anyone actually think he would name a player from another team?

edit--I think the only thing this really means is that he's saying Collier is more deserving than KLS, maybe he's hoping to avoid voters splitting their votes among the 2 UConn candidates.
No but I’m a little surprised he annoited Collier with over 2 weeks of regular season play left.

We know these awards are media driven. I think Geno is trying to get the ball rolling for Pheesa. I think it’s still Ionescu’s to lose.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I don't recall anyone here saying it proved anything. If Geno didn't think one of his players were deserving of POY he wouldn't name a player on his team.

Reaction Score
I did not know that. Seems to be missing a vital component by not considering the tournament. Who picks? hope experts like Creme are not involved, I would rather the coaches decide with stipulation they can not vote for any player on their team.

I believe the tournament is separate because it has its own MVP. Just like all other sports

Reaction Score

Do UConn FANs need anyone to tell us who our Player of the Year is and has been with a proper runner up for Uconn players of the year--for the last 3 years. OK yea this is local as the man said---everything is LOCAL. I hope Geno is right and the WORLD will know that PRECIOUS (Napheesa, per her father's native tongue) is the POY> Her dad named her PRECIOUS and Uconn has found a precious gem.

Reaction Score

I'm an Asia Durr fan, but it's no contest - Napheesa is POY by a mile. Asia is immensely talented but Napheesa is the engine, the heart and soul of her team, the force that dares everyone to keep up. Durr is a dilettante by comparison.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
As @HuskyNan has posted multiple times, all WBB fans are welcomed here.
And I believe that might be a reason for the Ignore option. :)

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
No need to be so defensive. Troll somewhere else with your Anigwe stats. She’s on an unranked team that constantly gets blown out.

I guess who is being defensive is in the eye of the beholder. In any case, nwhoopfan is hardly a troll and imo contributes a great deal to this forum. Indeed, his point about the stats you brought up in your initial post is well taken--Ionescu, after all, has a lot more assists than Napheesa, but so what? She's a guard, not someone playing the 4 or 5. For what it's worth, I'd be very happy if Collier was the national player of the year: she is certainly deserving, and at this point probably more deserving than Ionescu, but there are a lot of strong candidates.

Reaction Score
I guess who is being defensive is in the eye of the beholder. In any case, nwhoopfan is hardly a troll and imo contributes a great deal to this forum. Indeed, his point about the stats you brought up in your initial post is well taken--Ionescu, after all, has a lot more assists than Napheesa, but so what? She's a guard, not someone playing the 4 or 5. For what it's worth, I'd be very happy if Collier was the national player of the year: she is certainly deserving, and at this point probably more deserving than Ionescu, but there are a lot of strong candidates.
I generally like NW posts but that post didn’t bring anything but unwarranted negativity into the debate of Ionescu v Collier.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry I don’t think nwhoops was disrespecting anyone more to the fact that stats are the tell all hence Anigwe has better stats but he doesn’t believe she is better than Napheesa

Reaction Score
No but I’m a little surprised he annoited Collier with over 2 weeks of regular season play left.

We know these awards are media driven. I think Geno is trying to get the ball rolling for Pheesa. I think it’s still Ionescu’s to lose.

Exactly! If Geno doesn't lobby for Napheesa, then who will? Any coach worthy of their team's respect would do no less.

Reaction Score
Outside of Ionescu there’s not another player that I can honestly say has had an equal or better season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom