Geno Focuses On His Frontcourt Duo | The Boneyard

Geno Focuses On His Frontcourt Duo

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Auriemma said Saturday was “probably the perfect kind of game that we want to see from [Nelson-Ododa].” No, she didn’t put up a ridiculous number of points (she only attempted seven shots) nor bring down a crazy amount of rebounds. Rather, it was her facilitating and involvement in the offense that Auriemma appreciated most. Nelson-Ododa has grown into a really good passer for a 6-foot-5 center, something that Auriemma wants to take advantage of because it’s clear that when she’s active in the offense, everyone benefits."

Edwards has made an impact with her physicality and intensity since she debuted for the Huskies in December. But lately she has really come into her own. She’s fourth on the team in scoring (9.7 points per game) and rebounds (4.8 per game) despite playing the seventh-most minutes, and as a crucial player in UConn’s win over South Carolina, she has already shown she can step up in big moments."

"I just like being more competitive and aggressive offensively and defensively,” Edwards said Saturday. “Whether that’s rebounding, getting my teammates open, going off the pick and roll action, just being in rhythm and staying in the flow of the offense and locking down on defense.”

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Geno is going to have trouble taking advantage of Olivia's newfound passing skills if teams defend her the way that South Carolina and Tennessee did, which is to ignore her as a shooting threat at the high post and cover the people who might receive her passes. To me, her top priority for the tournament is to make that unopposed foul line jump shot at least a 50% proposition, so that opponents will either pay for that strategy or (more likely) modify it.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Can you imagine next year with the possibility of a frontcourt of 6'5", 6'5", 6'3", with a 6'5" Freshman on the bench. Add the 6'2" guards Saylor & Caroline Ducharme who could become wings with Anna, AG, and Mir. That could cause major problems for teams that have to prepare for playing UConn. Do they prepare for bigs or do they prepare for a smaller quicker, but still lethal frontcourt.Head bang Decisions, decisions, just loving the possibilities.

Reaction Score
Geno is going to have trouble taking advantage of Olivia's newfound passing skills if teams defend her the way that South Carolina and Tennessee did, which is to ignore her as a shooting threat at the high post and cover the people who might receive her passes. To me, her top priority for the tournament is to make that unopposed foul line jump shot at least a 50% proposition, so that opponents will either pay for that strategy or (more likely) modify it.
First she needs to step in towards the foul line instead of trying to hit the three all the time. I’ve been thinking that she should do this for awhile. She’s not really hitting the three as often as we need her too, so maybe more closer to a foul line or as close as she can get would help her and the team. I don’t mind her taking maybe two threes a game but she tries to many for my liking. One in the first half and one in the second half if it’s wiiiiiiide open. But close to the foul line and she will have more success and those teams won’t be so quick to leave her open. I know also easier said than done.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If she is unguarded at the high post...dribble slowly towards the hoop
and when they come up to guard, flash by...like she did in the Xavier game.
Every defense has an offensive counter.

Reaction Score
First she needs to step in towards the foul line instead of trying to hit the three all the time. I’ve been thinking that she should do this for awhile. She’s not really hitting the three as often as we need her too, so maybe more closer to a foul line or as close as she can get would help her and the team. I don’t mind her taking maybe two threes a game but she tries to many for my liking. One in the first half and one in the second half if it’s wiiiiiiide open. But close to the foul line and she will have more success and those teams won’t be so quick to leave her open. I know also easier said than done.
And PLEASE......PLEASE.........PLEASE work on your foul shooting!! :eek: If I were guarding her I would definitely foul her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
ONO and Christyn MUST show up and play well EVERY GAME in the post season if UConn is to have any success. No magic tricks (disappearing acts). :cool:

Reaction Score
uconnever, I agree. She's more effective from the foul line than from 3.

Reaction Score
Open debate here, if she steps back and makes a few 3 pointers they will add up more and open the inside for drives by Williams, Beckers and Company. By making a few threes, our team changes by 25% or more to the good. Most of her misses from inside the key are short, with time the opponents give her perhaps she thinks too much about shooting. She could also follow her shots more if she senses it being short. Many come right back to her but in any case she needs to take and make a few of these shots and we are a different team.

Reaction Score
If she is unguarded at the high post...dribble slowly towards the hoop
and when they come up to guard, flash by...like she did in the Xavier game.
Every defense has an offensive counter.
Yes, agreed, she has a quick first step and if she the team spreads the floor, Liv could go one on one against more teams. The move she made in the Xavier game was textbook. A joy to watch.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Can you imagine next year with the possibility of a frontcourt of 6'5", 6'5", 6'3", with a 6'5" Freshman on the bench. Add the 6'2" guards Saylor & Caroline Ducharme who could become wings with Anna, AG, and Mir. That could cause major problems for teams that have to prepare for playing UConn. Do they prepare for bigs or do they prepare for a smaller quicker, but still lethal frontcourt.Head bang Decisions, decisions, just loving the possibilities.
Big players have been Stanfords MO ever since Tara got their. Big doesn't always mean great, but it sure helps.

Reaction Score
On the passing issue with Ono, Uconn has always been good at creating what I would call "system passers" from our bigs. Maybe players with no natural gifts or instincts there, that Geno turns into pretty good passers with assist to turnover ratios way better than other team's bigs. Average passers become good ones, and good ones become great ones.

Aaliyah I think has shown everybody the skills that will probably have her in the starting lineup for much of her career, but her stats are weak were you often see freshmen having troubles. Her assists are low, turnovers high, and assist/turnover ratio horrible by Uconn standards. Similarly while steals and blocks are fine, relative to her very high foul rate, they are not. She is very good now in spite of these categories where we can expect substantial improvement in the future, taking her to another level.

Uconn's track record improving bigs passing stats, reducing turnovers, and silly fouls is very very good.

Reaction Score
Well.....my thought is this: I like it. Hope I see it. Sounds good to me. However, he Big Guy, Geno has a great problem in deciding who is going to play and when.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom