Geno embarrasses his starters today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno embarrasses his starters today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I know he wanted to send a "message", but that was a poor look. Some players just dont respond to this. If I was a recruit, I would be thinking long and hard about playing here & if its right for me. Could explain why the sudden increase in transfers & poor recruiting lately.

I'm SO glad you solved that mystery about the transfers and poor recruiting Head bang

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Anyone remember when he benched Battle during the Rutgers game. Or sat all the starters early in the game v. Providence. And Marron? (Or was it AV?) Hit that three?

Couldn't have been Valley. I don't think she ever made a 3. ;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Once again I’ll recall the words of that legendary and hall of fame coach John (the Wizard of Westwood) Wooden. He like Yogi Berra had many quotes and sayings. One of them was “the bench is an excellent teacher “. :cool:
Another of my favorites from Coach Wooden: Trying hard does not guarantee success, but not trying hard guarantees failure.

Reaction Score
The starters were not playing like they usually do and they played much better especially on defense after Geno pulled them, in addition, the bench played well while they were in so looks like it worked!

Reaction Score
I know he wanted to send a "message", but that was a poor look. Some players just dont respond to this. If I was a recruit, I would be thinking long and hard about playing here & if its right for me. Could explain why the sudden increase in transfers & poor recruiting lately.

After reading your post a couple of times to make sure that I got your point-- 'as a recruit "You" wouldn't come here ....', there is really no constructive ideas in this and other posts you have written. It saddens me how one or two members can come in a foul-up an otherwise well functioning environment.
Allow me to open two frames for you. Frame 1: Other older members on the Board know that during the Stewart era, Geno parked the big 3 on the bench because of how they were playing (and many coaches do the same thing). Frame 2: Neither you nor me can be sure that the intended 'message'(?) weren't for the bench! If so, it worked. While I have not seen the game many comments pointed to how well those players played. I I recalled correctly, Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck went on to give us fans some memorable games. Would not be surprised if history repeats itself.

Reaction Score

Are you serious?
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, however:
In 4 sentences, you managed to reveal an appalling lack of understanding of UCONN women’s basketball. Looks like you just joined- are you new to following the team? If so, you might want to study the history of the team.
Which brings up the question: why watch the games? Or are you trying to get something going? If that’s the case, this ought to work.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I have to say that Geno was very down on "kids" in general in his post game interview saying that he now has to ask them to play hard.................he also said coaching isn't much fun anymore.............most likely just Geno silliness but I suspect one day he won't be kidding about coaching not being fun anymore and off he will go.......

Reaction Score
The players understand the expectations of their coach. If you don’t meet those, you come out.
Have to agree that Geno was ultra sarcastic in his post game interview. Take the starters out, OK-its an obvious message. Don't care how many games he has won, following up with an ultra-negative set of comments not a good look.

Reaction Score
Have to agree that Geno was ultra sarcastic in his post game interview. Take the starters out, OK-its an obvious message. Don't care how many games he has won, following up with an ultra-negative set of comments not a good look.

Whether you agree or not, that’s been him since he became HC; unlikely to change no matter what the BY thinks after 30+ yrs.

Reaction Score
If I was a recruit, I would be thinking long and hard about playing here & if its right for me. Could explain why the sudden increase in transfers & poor recruiting lately.

Just the opposite. Winners want to be pushed to their limits. When pushed, winners respond. Very few winners who have experienced Geno find fault. Maybe a coupla losers do. Just have to choose which one you are.

Reaction Score
If Geno could sit Stewie, and Tuck after 5 minutes for the rest of the game for not playing up to standard. Then the current players need to take a look in the mirror, because none of them are at that level. Stewie and Tuck understood and got better, also made sure it never happened again.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Things I learned on the Boneyard:

1. If Geno doesn't play subs, he is destroying their confidence, which could explain why the sudden increase in transfers & poor recruiting lately.​
2. If Geno plays his subs it is disrespecting his starters, which could explain why the sudden increase in transfers & poor recruiting lately.​

#damnedifyoudo....
3. If Geno plays everyone at once he gets penalized by the refs. Ya can't win from losin'.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I would imagine that a fair amount of viewers/fans didn't see his actions as an embarrassment at all. They saw it as Geno pulling the starting unit off the floor that was not operating at optimum efficiency, to allow them to settle down, take a deep breath and recover their composure. They were getting out played and out hustled by a vastly inferior team of "young" women who were laying the "wood" to them, and playing without fear.

Some might contend that their play during the 1st quarter was an embarrassment. Geno was not happy with what he was seeing. He had to do something to correct it, he did. :cool:

I would like to see this tactic again in the near future. Send the reserves in with 1 minute and some change left in the first quarter, and let them start the 2nd quarter and let them play for 2 minutes (more if the reserves are holding their own, then sub them out. It could give the starters about 6-10 minutes of real time rest.

If the reserves know ahead of time that they will be going in at the end of a quarter, they will be ready. Play hard as you can for 3+ minutes, make at least 3 stops on defense (steals, blocked shots, or defensive rebounds). Don’t make any concessions or give up any cheap or easy baskets.

Score at least 6 points during that time. They should have a minimum of 6 possessions. Reasonable goals for 3 minutes of play. There are some teams Geno can do this against, and some he can’t. He knows the difference.

If this works, he can also do it between the 3rd and 4th quarter. It will give the bench playing time, and the starters an extended rest they’ll need to close out the game.

The only AAC team he may not be able to do that against is UCF (14-2/3-0). They appear to have supplanted USF as the 2nd best team in the conference. UConn plays UCF in 2 weeks (Jan 27). I think that may be a tactic he can use without getting hurt. Their next opponent, @ Tulane (13-3/3-0) on Weds, is also a team that comes in with an impressive record. We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I was reminded, by contrast, of the February 17, 2016, game against Cincinnati, where Geno decided to start the 'second' team of Butler, Nurse, Chong, Collier, and Samuelson. After six and a half minutes, the score was 15-15. He brought in Jefferson, Tuck, Stewart, and Williams, and UCONN outscored Cincinnati by 73-19 for the rest of the game.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think Auriemma probably knows his players better than you do.
:rolleyes:

I think (unfortunately), as per tonight's postgame, that this may be a case of Geno not knowing exactly what to do: At least at this moment.

-He has a #1 recruit who has not developed much at all, despite that trait being axiomatic in how we articulate how our team differs from virtually all others; long separating UConn from (say) Warlick's UTenn., for example. The UConn approach does not necessarily work with every young woman who chooses to come.

If that vaunted improvement in play is a principle (not the only) reason that recruits choose to come here, then a look at MW's singular lack of progress maybe a downer to some....To put it in the most vulgar and disrespectful manner possible; 'You have to take all his crap and this is the result'?

- His most recent #1 appears to have "hit the freshman wall." Doesn't it seem so much like what happened last season with
young CD...the parallels are disquieting...one magnificent game and then (relative) quiet. I hope the chain of similarity is soon broken and put to bed forever. And btw, is elevated soph CD quite the leader we anticipated?

-Then there is the case of an Senior All-start forward, seemingly not quite playing at the level of her sophomore season; causing some concern and disquiet.

Some (perhaps only I) have been moderately concerned about this (is it a trend) since the first Stewie season...Brianna had enough internal strength, competitiveness and god-given ability, that the combination of his prodding and her skillset won out, (and just in the nick of time) to steam-roll that season's NCAA's (and quite a sight it was). But it was close...she was near broken at mid-season.

The sky is not falling (at least not yet). This team will win most (or all) of its games.There is still time to develop the coherence and confidence (the 2 traits I find most lacking) . But there is a feeling beginning to emerge that what we are seeing is not representative of the most usual UConn Woman's BB. Something (or several things) are just not quite right. And as Geno eloquently puts it...it's not only wins and losses but how the game is played.

I do not have he highest expectations for this team but would be delighted to be surprised.
I am concerned about future recruiting;
I particularly worry that next season we will be a less than a top-ten team.

Reaction Score
Was at St Louis with a 15 point lead and Taurasi was 1 for 15 I think. Steward only freshman who really brought it in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom