Geno discusses the depth in the Post and how Piath in particular may surprise. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno discusses the depth in the Post and how Piath in particular may surprise.

Reaction Score
I've only seen extremely limited amounts of film of Amari, so she is the player I am most intrigued to see play. Back when she first committed, I saw a YouTube video of her where she looked...well, very slow. I was honestly a bit surprised she was recruited, but figured there was way more to the story. I am not surprised to hear Geno say she is moves in slow motion, and that she initially failed the conditioning test. BUT, It's really encouraging to hear that she has so many skills, hence why I am not a talent scout. It will be fun to watch it all come together after some time with the strength and conditioning program.

Reaction Score
It would be great if Dorka were to stay for 2 years, however I would be flummoxed if she stays for year 2. She already has a list of accomplishments from her time in the big 10. One year at UCONN will be plenty to boost what may be future pro plans, barring injury. If she has the goods they will be on display this coming season. She may stay we don't know, she may not even know at this time. If she shines this season what could she possibly gain by staying for year 2, if her future is as a pro?
I think your points are true that she will get to display her talent and learn from Uconn at the same time this year, and her professional chances may not be enhanced much by an extra year.

This year I think she plays quite a bit, but next year she would probably be the likely starter. She wants to play professionally and since she is from Hungary that could be in Europe. I think it is possible, but far from being a certainty that Dorka or Liv sticks in the WNBA, but both could be pretty much assured of contracts in Europe. Would more minutes as a starter enhance her status, maybe, but another factor is she is already a grad student. By the end of her second year here she could have a master's degree.

Reaction Score
I feel like I might be in the middle ground on this issue. Regarding bigs like Piath and Amari, there were a couple of recent years where they would have been thrown into the rotation whether they were ready or not, because we were lacking talented bigs. Now it is the other extreme, instead of developing via playing time their progress is largely limited to practice.

Those practices though are very good development, because they are practicing against other very good players. The beneficiaries are not just players hoping to break into the rotation, but players who will get minutes as well.

Liv gets to go against Dorka and visa versa every day in practice. That is beneficial for both players, even more so since Liv has sometimes come up short when she faces a top flight C. Not long ago her practice competition was Kyla Irwin, now it is Dorka, Amari and Piath. All the bigs should benefit.

Playing time is another issue. 3rd and 4th options at any position are not likely to get meaningfull minutes without a significant injury, even if they develop to pretty good players. In my opinion player development is a by product of practice and games. A good player on a bad team might get better because of game competition, but not have anybody to push them in practice. A good player on a great and very deep team at their position, may get little development in games, but face great competition every day in practice. Of course if you break into the rotation on a great deep team you get both of those.
Don't they practice with pretty good Male players? I think Liv has probably always had good practice competition...

Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck said she was coming back for her 4th year. Azura' Stevens initially said she was here for two years. Megan Walker left a year early. Things change, circumstances change, players outlook change. Let's wait and see what Dorka decides to do at the end of the season.
This is October. Let's see if she still feels that way come April. If she has the kind of season I think she will, I agree that she would have nothing to gain by staying that extra year.

If she does decide to stay, she shouldn't suffer any lost wages from the WNBA or European leagues with the potential NIL endorsement money she can make. :cool:
How does the song go? "Girls just like to have fun". Maybe if Dorka (or anyone else) is having the time of their life (another song?) that enters into the equation. Who knows? At this point in time maybe even Dorka doesn't know.

Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck played for 4 years. Her sophomore season was cut short by injury, but she did get to win 4 national championships with Stewie and Mo.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I've only seen extremely limited amounts of film of Amari, so she is the player I am most intrigued to see play. Back when she first committed, I saw a YouTube video of her where she looked...well, very slow. I was honestly a bit surprised she was recruited, but figured there was way more to the story. I am not surprised to hear Geno say she is moves in slow motion, and that she initially failed the conditioning test. BUT, It's really encouraging to hear that she has so many skills, hence why I am not a talent scout. It will be fun to watch it all come together after some time with the strength and conditioning program.
In Geno I trust!! We have to remember something very very important here. Geno and his staff don't see potential recruits the same way we do. We see them as they are. Geno sees them as they can be (Dolson/Gabriel). He knows the things (deficiencies) in a potential recruit's game that can be fixed, and those that cannot.

There are two types of recruits. Those like Paige that are plug N play (can come in the first day on campus and help you RIGHT NOW), and those that can help you later, but need some refinement and polish first. Amari is probably a player that he knows can help us either later on this season, or for sure next season. The weight room and UConn's trainers can do wonders with the human body. I've seen post players that were slow afoot, but were good to very good players.

Some run the floor with ease and grace. Kiah Stokes is an example. Brianna Turner (Notre Dame/Phoenix Mercury) is another. Stepfanie Dolson was and is a plodder. She has never had quick feet. She also helped her teams win championships at the college and professional level. Don't be too quick to judge DeBerry. Geno saw potential in her, or he would not have offered her. I'm elated she's here. Don't be surprised if she morphs into one of the premier posts in the country by her junior year.

Geno IS NOT going to recruit a player that he thinks can't help his program. There are too many recruits out there that can, and would love the opportunity to come here and be part of his team's legacy. There's a place for everyone in WCBB. Water seeks its own level. Get in where you fit in. If Geno recruits them, there's a place for them here, and he and his staff have a plan for each and everyone of them. Some players are short term projects, some are long term projects, but in the end, they all should work out. :)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
That’s because Gabby’s feet were rarely on the floor….. ;)
1634918458787.png

That is true!!

Reaction Score
I liked this tidbit:

“She’s been in America now a year and a half total, probably. She still hasn’t fouled anybody, according to her. You show it to her on film, she says it was doctored.” — Geno Auriemma on Nika Mühl
That’s the attitude needed on court.

Reaction Score
I don't have anything to add to your comments or all the quotes in the tread (all great stuff) except to say that maybe the subject header of the article was meant to be a bit controversial or incendiary to encourage click bait?

Either way I'd take it slightly a step further and say it's almost a case of irresponsible journalism. There have been a couple of times in UCONN's past where they have had an embarrassment of riches. Has it EVER hurt the development of ANY player? If it hasn't, then why put those comments out there in the first place? That's why I said it's irresponsible.

I will admit he has some great quotes in there from Geno - and I could not be more excited for this season. I especially loved the comments on Piath and Amari. I know realistically they probably won't get much in the way of meaningful minutes (ie. minutes in big games), but if Geno's comments are accurate and not hyperbole, Piath and Amari may well be on their way to be ready when called on in big moments - if not this season, definitely next season.

One last side note - I was able to watch all the U19 games this past summer with Team USA and Azzi/Amari. I've mentioned Azzi in other threads, but regarding Amari - she was at the bottom of the depth chart, but when she did get in, showed good fundamentals. She has some skills and abilities in her tool box, but most of all I felt she lacked intensity and a sense of urgency. I am hopeful that as she gains skills, knowledge, confidence, and goes all in with effort in learning what coach is teaching, she has a LOT of upside...
When I watched Amari on tape in her HS years when she got the ball in the post she didn't bring the ball down and shot it high over her head. She is a very good mid-range shooter. She also seemed to hit the open player around the hoop and was not selfish. I agree with Geno and Eric that she seemed to lack intensity and the I'm gonna get the ball and score as Aaliyah does. They will develop her and she will help the Huskies down the road. Piath has the genetics from a very good basketball family and after one year she like Mir has to say to herself If I want to see the court I am going to have to improve. I can't wait to see this team play.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When I watched Amari on tape in her HS years when she got the ball in the post she didn't bring the ball down and shot it high over her head. She is a very good mid-range shooter. She also seemed to hit the open player around the hoop and was not selfish. I agree with Geno and Eric that she seemed to lack intensity and the I'm gonna get the ball and score as Aaliyah does. They will develop her and she will help the Huskies down the road. Piath has the genetics from a very good basketball family and after one year she like Mir has to say to herself If I want to see the court I am going to have to improve. I can't wait to see this team play.
The good news is that Jamelle has a PHD in Intensity…..

Carnac

Reaction Score
The good news is that Jamelle has a PHD in Intensity…..
........and knows how to teach it. Jamelle is not 6' feet tall, yet she was one of the most fierce and competitive players on the floor. She was not afraid :mad: to go into the paint and bang with post players on a regular basis, often coming out on top. I'd really like to see Olivia and Amari acquire more "grit" and roughness around the edges. Similar to that of Nika and Aaliyah. Having that grit and a hard edge will serve them well this year. It was reported right after classes resumed in August that Aaliyah has become ever more aggressive. :eek:
Can't wait to see Aaliyah Edwards 2.0, should be fun. :)

Reaction Score
It would be great if Dorka were to stay for 2 years, however I would be flummoxed if she stays for year 2. She already has a list of accomplishments from her time in the big 10. One year at UCONN will be plenty to boost what may be future pro plans, barring injury. If she has the goods they will be on display this coming season. She may stay we don't know, she may not even know at this time. If she shines this season what could she possibly gain by staying for year 2, if her future is as a pro?

Usually the decision comes down to where they will be drafted. If UConn loses her let it be because she was slated to be the 5th pick in the draft. Right after Williams at 4th. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
A player, who most consider the 4th best post, was player of the week? Is that good news or bad news? I'm ah thinking it very good news.
Talking season.

Dawn said Saxton was her most impressive big this preseason.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Talking season.
Dawn said Saxton was her most impressive big this preseason.
Is that good news or bad news?
I don't see how that is any different than Geno saying Piath was the player of the week for UCONN last week. It is preseason and we are starved for news and quotes and sound bites. I forget the player but Geno spent a recent pre-season hyping up a player who everyone though was surely going to be a starter or big contributor. When the reporter asked Geno what happened to the player Geno said (Paraphrased); What happened was November came around and we had some real games to play.

Reaction Score
Come on, he is crazy like a fox so of course he is going to throw a bone out for all the fans to chew on to keep the hype going leading into game 1...

The other thing is he is always most focused on getting better and each player getting better on their track. I think it is totally possible for Piath to make the most improvement over a week from where she started that week and it not mean she is going to be the starting center all of a sudden. Most improved doesn't also equal best....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Come on, he is crazy like a fox so of course he is going to throw a bone out for all the fans to chew on to keep the hype going leading into game 1...

The other thing is he is always most focused on getting better and each player getting better on their track. I think it is totally possible for Piath to make the most improvement over a week from where she started that week and it not mean she is going to be the starting center all of a sudden. Most improved doesn't also equal best....
You’re absolutely correct. But Geno has always rewarded hard work and improvement in practice with PT in games. That doesn’t mean Piath will start or even play significant minutes in reserve.

Last season Piath played in 22/30 games averaging 2.5 mpg. Based on Piath’s improvement in practice I would anticipate that both those numbers will increase this season.

Reaction Score
You’re absolutely correct. But Geno has always rewarded hard work and improvement in practice with PT in games. That doesn’t mean Piath will start or even play significant minutes in reserve.

Last season Piath played in 22/30 games averaging 2.5 mpg. Based on Piath’s improvement in practice I would anticipate that both those numbers will increase this season.
I'd like to see her reach the 5 mpg average and appear in almost every game. I wonder if we'll see a second half BE game where Piath is at the 5 with Amari at the 4 trying some high low game if Amari really has the bball skills Geno talks about. I expect Nika will be running the show late in games since he likes to have an experienced guard still in the game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With the addition of Dorka and Amari I would be pleasantly surprised if Piath contributions improve significantly over last season. That's not to say Piath will not have improved as a player. In addition to Dorka and Amari there is also Saylor and MIr both contending for minutes at big forward position . Both Mir and Saylor averaged more minutes per game than Piath did last year. Mir also has the advantage of being a contributor in a few meaningful games last year (TN, Arkansas-11 Minutes, Marquette-1st game). Based on Geno comments sounds like the plan is to use Saylor as a big that can shoot from the outside-"stretch 4 mode".

Reaction Score
I think you're right..........it depends how her season goes........if she is better than she was at Ohio State she might as well turn pro as quickly as possible but if her season is up and down another year at UConn would be very beneficial.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom