Geno contract / CR tie | The Boneyard

Geno contract / CR tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No question he deserves the $$$. But given the currently paltry TV agreements and proven declining game ticket revenue, where is the $$$ going to come from? At this rate, the exit fee windfall is going to be gone before we know it.

Take a look at this list (2 yrs old). Again, Geno deserves to be at the top, but look at the other schools on the list. Most if not all, are in a stable situation (you could debate Baylor, Iowa State & Louisville but they're a step ahead of UConn).

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/womensbasketball/2011-coaches-salary-database.htm

I admire Geno for many reasons (community involvement like Sandy Hook fund, etc). I don't blame him for cutting the best deal he can for himself. I hope that when SH/WM/trustees agree to a contract like this they know the financial future is a lot brighter than it appears to be at the moment.

Reaction Score
I say ... don't worry/focus on Women's basketball; they do extraordinarily well. (you might soon here a Calhoun type rant from some direction) We clearly make good money/bring good revenue in on this front.

Would I pay Geno's successor comparable? Now that is an interesting question.

Reaction Score
NOTE: No General Fund (state tax dollars) or tuition monies are used to provide any of the resources for this contract. The Division of Athletics at the University of Connecticut is an Auxiliary Service Fund entity and the sources of revenue include: gate receipts, private fundraising, corporate partnerships, television/radio rights, BIG EAST Conference revenues and NCAA revenues.

Reaction Score
Doesn't that tell you something? Why is it that folks insist the Prez and AD share every detail with the fans? Sit back, relax, and have faith that really smart people are positioning the school to be successful in the long-term.

Reaction Score
NOTE: No General Fund (state tax dollars) or tuition monies are used to provide any of the resources for this contract. The Division of Athletics at the University of Connecticut is an Auxiliary Service Fund entity and the sources of revenue include: gate receipts, private fundraising, corporate partnerships, television/radio rights, BIG EAST Conference revenues and NCAA revenues.

so they can use Metro/American conference revenues?

Reaction Score
I say ... don't worry/focus on Women's basketball; they do extraordinarily well. (you might soon here a Calhoun type rant from some direction) We clearly make good money/bring good revenue in on this front.

Would I pay Geno's successor comparable? Now that is an interesting question.

No way. Unless we clone him.

Reaction Score
As an overtaxed taxpayer in the state of CT, I am appalled at his salary. Just Ridiculous.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
As an overtaxed taxpayer in the state of CT, I am appalled at his salary. Just Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Financially, UConn women's hoop is not doing "extraordinarily" well -- they do come much closer to breaking even than most.

It remains baffling that UConn women's basketball hasn't been used more for leverage in the CR debate. It's certainly possible that if UConn doesn't end up in the right place the women's success is very much at risk. They'll certainly be in no position to pay this kind of salary.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...in-red-as-salaries-break-college-budgets.html

Reaction Score

Are you appalled at other coaches' salaries, or just the women's basketball coach? If I lived in CT, I'd be more upset at Pasqualoni's salary, given the crappy results he's delivered.

The UConn women's bb program makes money.

Reaction Score

Five of those are heading in the wrong direction, no? -- edit: line meant to back the OP, not the absurd CTEagle. he can ask the vatican for a loan.

Reaction Score
Five of those are heading in the wrong direction, no? -- edit: line meant to back the OP, not the absurd CTEagle. he can ask the vatican for a loan.

Nobody really knows about the corporate partnership and private fundraising $$ in depth. Not even sure about televsion/radio rights as it applies to WBB - seen nothing definative just speculation. Attendance has been diving. I imagine w/ other department challenges - they are living within their means w/ WBB (my opinion).

Reaction Score
Nobody really knows about the corporate partnership and private fundraising in depth. Not even sure about televsion/radio rights as it applies to WBB - seen nothing definative just speculation. Attendance has been diving. I imagine w/ other department challenges - they are living within their means w/ WBB (my opinion).

I believe the total revenue numbers in the Equity in Athletics Title IX annual report are pretty reliable -- that is, I don't think UConn has any more athletic revenue hidden anywhere beyond the $63 million it brought in last year. We'd have the freakin US Dept of Education on us faster than the NCAA if those numbers started getting fudged.

Reaction Score
I believe the total revenue numbers in the Equity in Athletics Title IX annual report are pretty reliable -- that is, I don't think UConn has any more athletic revenue hidden anywhere beyond the $63 million it brought in last year. We'd have the freakin US Dept of Education on us faster than the NCAA if those numbers started getting fudged.

I'm not an expert by any stretch on that but people here profess that there are different ways to apply accounting principles in that regard (argument always seems to be used when a report about Louisville Athletic Department profitability comes out - "the numbers aren't real").

Reaction Score
If the women's program was not as big as it is UConn is not known as a big time BB school, regardless of the 3 men's NC's . Remember many don't think of us as a Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc.

The women may not make money but what they have done for exposure can't be measured in dollars.

Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma Signs 5-Year Contract Extension At UConn

After UConn defeated his team by 68 points in the first round of the NCAA Tournament last week at Gampel Pavilion, Idaho coach Jon Newlee compared Geno Auriemma to James Naismith, the inventor of basketball, and UCLA coach John Wooden, its renowned wizard.
On Tuesday, UConn made sure Auriemma was paid like it.
Auriemma and UConn have agreed to a five-year contract extension that will run through 2017-18 and take Hall of Fame coach to his 64th birthday.
Auriemma, 59, will earn $10.8 million, not including bonuses, making him the highest paid women's basketball coach in history. His last deal paid $8 million over five years.
Auriemma, who has led UConn to 30 or more wins in each of the past eight seasons and has won seven national championships, will receive a base salary of $400,000 each year, which runs from April 15 to April 14 of each year.
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-women/hc-geno-auriemma-contract-0328-20130327,0,7588213.story

Reaction Score
http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women/warde-manuel-on-auriemmas-new-deal/

WM -- “It was very hard to compare Geno’s situation to the market [for women's basketball coaches]. But we wanted to make sure what we did, and do it for all of our coaches, was to reward for success. And there is no doubt that Geno has been very successful – by all measures. So in looking things, such as percentage of increase and such, we took it all into consideration and put forth an offer to him that was the product of how we viewed that success, not only on the court, but to the university and the athletic department.

“It’s hard to discern how his salary relates to the amount of income his program and his efforts help generate for the university. But from what we can tell, we are one of the top revenue generators, if not the best, in women’s basketball. So on top of the goodwill and positive attributes he brings to the department and university, he also helps us generate revenue in many ways. “There’s also a lot that women’s basketball does for the university that doesn’t result in direct revenue. We are the only women’s team in the nation with its own television deal [SNY]. He brings consistency, success and many other positive things to UConn. He’s been in 20 straight Sweet 16s. That’s a remarkable achievement."

Reaction Score
Just a heads up, Geno gives back to the FB program by supporting the boys at The Rent. He pays for a luxury sweet out of his own pocket and stocks it for his guests whether he's there or not. It's a big nut that he cracks for this and really doesn't have the time to attend all the games but he does it anyway. We should focus on all the good he does, the rest will take care of itself. We have idiots on this board running their suck holes to wits end, but don't drop a dime to buy a ticket and support the program. Geno is a good man, lets just focus on the good stuff.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't think I have ever watched more than 5 minutes of a women's UConn game but that man deserves everything he has and will get. Personally do not find the women's game entertaining at all, but if others do and UConn is at that top of that food chain all the better. Everything and anything I've ever heard come from him his been entertaining and interesting, and I sometimes wonder when it's all said and done who has done a more amazing job (he or Calhoun). I think sometimes we should just be grateful UConn found them and they found UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom