Geno can learn from Tara | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno can learn from Tara

Reaction Score
Well he won 11 NC's with that 6-8 player formula so I don't think that's the problem. He just has to have the right players and enough of them with adequate experience and it will be fine. And how does Stanford and UCONN getting the best players develop parity? AZ getting to the NC game was pretty much a fluke that you probably won't see again for another 10 years.
I think he’ll be playing more than 6-8 the next year or three. Too much talent to allow it to waste.

Reaction Score
Given his incoming talent, Geno needs to develop a deep bench. Tara often plays ten-eleven players, this able to change temp and keep players fresh. Geno concentrates on six-seven, occasionally eight, even during runaways in Big East. Use bench earlier in those runaways, get them prepared for the Big Dance. He needed to shake things up against Arizona and didn’t.
Speaking of Arizona, all the Boneyarders who put them down are eating crow tonight. Stanford was the winner today but it was the PAC-12 that was the big winner. It will give them a big boost in recruiting as the best conference in women’s basketball. Stanford is loaded and two years down the road 6’ 7” Lauren Betts is heading from the Colorado mountains (well, close) to the Farm.
Parity may be here.
Most of Uconn players played poorly vs Zona. Most of the starters did not play well nor did the bench. I thought the Stanford coach did a poor job. Way too much dribbling by the guards caused many turnovers. More passing into the post, with their bigs coming out to help the guards would have been a better strategy. But they won, barely.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I think he’ll be playing more than 6-8 the next year or three. Too much talent to allow it to waste.
I would think so. He had a couple of years where he had 2 teams and could swap out all 5. We might see two squads Again.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think I've been seeing projections for increased depth for UConn for about 4 years running. I'm not getting fooled this time. Expect more of the same next year.

Reaction Score
I think I've been seeing projections for increased depth for UConn for about 4 years running. I'm not getting fooled this time. Expect more of the same next year.
Agree to disagree.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Stanford played 11 tonight and I think it may have worked.
Only 8 of those 11 took any shots (total of 3 shots for reserves) and only 1 made basket for the five subs with the fewest minutes. So were those subs giving meaningful minutes? Take a look at the box score and the maturity of the subs before answering.

Reaction Score
Their depth, however, is at the 3-5 positions. It is going to be difficult for them to replace Williams and Wilson and to keep one of their three centers from the portal.
Pay attention to today and tomorrow, because while I agree with you completely that their star depth is upfront, Tara has been encouraging her seniors to return. They probably won't but who knows.

Reaction Score
Only 8 of those 11 took any shots (total of 3 shots for reserves) and only 1 made basket for the five subs with the fewest minutes. So were those subs giving meaningful minutes? Take a look at the box score and the maturity of the subs before answering.
Playing Subs aren't always about numbers that show up in box scores. They are mostly intangible/role players contributing in multitude of ways. They are often the group of players that will run thru the wall. Trying to complete their assignments. The more familiar they are with their roles the more you can depend on them late in the season. It also gives opposing coaches more to coach against.

Reaction Score
That definitely happened in 2017-2018 when we only lost Chong (with Dangerfield waiting in the wings) and were adding Stevens, Camara and a good recruiting class. But Camara never got healthy, Walker was the only one of that freshman class to contribute (the other three ended up transferring) and we ended up only 7 deep. Or 6 deep against Notre Dame when he didn’t even use Walker. The dropoff between an experienced and talented core 6 and the younger players made Geno uncomfortable using his bench and in hindsight maybe was costly.

The next three years I don’t think we ever anticipated much depth, especially losing Stevens and Walker early. Heading into last year, the talk was we only had 4 players left who were even guaranteed minutes (Dangerfield, Walker, ONO, Williams) and we didn’t know who our fifth starter was. Began the year as senior role player Molly Bent and ended with Makurat. We might have anticipated a little more depth this past year, but Walker leaving early mostlykilled that thought - we fortunately got more out of Muhl and Edwards than we probably hoped on paper to allow us to go 6-7 deep when Makurat was injured.

Reaction Score
I'm so glad to see all the want to be coaches are out, so many think they know what Geno should do or should have done. How about we leave the coaching to the man that won 11 national championships and enjoy the success our team had this year with a very young group and not to mention the star we have in Paige and the fact they will all be back including Evina. I for one am very proud and am already looking forward to next year!!!

Reaction Score
Speaking of Arizona, all the Boneyarders who put them down are eating crow tonight.
Apparently, someone has not yet learned that crow is seldom found on the menu at the Boneyard.... LOL

Reaction Score
Given his incoming talent, Geno needs to develop a deep bench. Tara often plays ten-eleven players, this able to change temp and keep players fresh. Geno concentrates on six-seven, occasionally eight, even during runaways in Big East. Use bench earlier in those runaways, get them prepared for the Big Dance. He needed to shake things up against Arizona and didn’t.
Speaking of Arizona, all the Boneyarders who put them down are eating crow tonight. Stanford was the winner today but it was the PAC-12 that was the big winner. It will give them a big boost in recruiting as the best conference in women’s basketball. Stanford is loaded and two years down the road 6’ 7” Lauren Betts is heading from the Colorado mountains (well, close) to the Farm.
Parity may be here.
It used to be Geno’s teams were better conditioned, better athletes, and better talent. We had DT and you don’t, or Maya, or Stewie. Remember crushing Miss St and Oregon just a few years ago. Those coaches told their players if you want to win you have to play like them. Perfect example was Miss St the very next year. Those days are over. Playing a starting five with one big, wing, and guard sub, only in case of foul trouble might not get the job done. Based on their depth I believe there are a big 3 the next few years. Us, South Carolina, and Stanford.

Tara seems to have figured it out. She plays 11 players all year long. Yup give your 2nd best player a rest and in comes your 11th best player for 2 min. If every player plays in every game even in the first half they build confidence and the trust of teammates, and yes they are both happy on the inside as well as outwardly. Tara loses 3 players and has 4 good ones, 2 of them top 20 recruits. They come at you in waves of fresh talented players.

I know certain games you may not go that deep, but Uconn in the Big East should provide plenty of opportunities to play lots of players. If Uconn gets a serious injury or foul trouble players need to believe there coaches and teammates truly trust them.

South Carolina returns 7 of its 8 top players and has 4 top 25 recruits including 3 that maybe good or better than what is already there. Think Dawn is going to sit these guys? Think again! No such thing as real foul trouble for those teams. Then there is Uconn. We return 9 top players. We basically play 7 OR 8. Geno doesn’t play down the rotation unless it’s the end of the game in a blow out and then the players look sloppy and out of sync.

Next year we have 14 scholarship players, who if they get a few minutes every game could, if needed because of injury or foul trouble be trusted to hold their own in big games or times when the game isn’t already decided. Yes, no team plays 14 players but what they all are worthy. Even Piath, who many think is a project is working her but off to get better and what if she makes a big leap? She is tall and big and strong and against the likes of Baylor and SC maybe a good option to bang on the boards with 5 fouls to give. I know it would be a big leap to take one of our current starters out for her, but we won’t know what she will bring until she gets a chance to show it ion the court.

I think next year Azzi joins the 3 seniors and Edwards I the starting lineup. You could have a second unit of Amari, Nika, Aubrey, Anna, with either Mir (HS AA), Caroline (HS AA), Saylor, and Piath? That team could compete in the Big East! All of them could start or get minutes on D1 team. Remember, the season is a marathon not a sprint. For Uconn the season really comes down to 6 games at the end. Having starters playing less minutes (see Stanford) can help when you need the finishing kick at the end.

Tara played 11 in the final 4 so her new philosophy will keep getting her recruits, and she probably won’t wait another 29 years between titles (though it would be cool to see someone trying to coach in her mid-90’s. Geno has started recruiting outside the US, and has been trying to get more depth. Getting more depth should be used to wear down opponents , like how we did it with the 2000 team (our deepest talent ever and the next few years we may match it), not to just have it because inevitably HS AA will leave because they don’t play. The gap has closed and we are no longer that superior in talent. I believe Uconn SC and Stanford will however be loaded with players who bring many talents, but if there coaching staff’s rollout 11 12 or 13 against our 7 or 8, even with what many will say are 2 generational talents I think adding banners will not be a given!

It seems many seniors are taking advantage of the extra year and coming back giving many coaches more depth than they normally have as well very experienced players who can handle pressure. This makes more teams compeditive. I firmly believe that if Mir or Aubrey went to Arizona (you know the team that just beat us, both get 20min a game (and not just because of style of play), but because they are as talented as most players on that roster with the exception of a certain PG, who’s name I prefer not to mention lol! I would be interested to see how many minutes each member of last year’s HS McDonalds AA team played this year and where Mir ranked. I know some people will say well they don’t have great offensive games. Well, how many points did Anna or Nika score? Even Evina and Oliva had uneven scoring outputs. Could it be our starters actually get tired logging massive minutes and often pick up cheap fouls for not being as fresh as the other team’s players? They contribute in other ways. Use our depth with the likes of Mir and Aubrey’s athletic D, Nika aggressive style, and Evina’s length to hound difficult players to guard. This keeps Christyn out of foul trouble and fresher on the offensive end. Use ALL our different types of players to wear down the other team, and we will be in very good shape to make another Final Four hopefully this time with better results!

Reaction Score
I think next year Azzi joins the 3 seniors and Edwards I the starting lineup. You could have a second unit of Amari, Nika, Aubrey, Anna, with either Mir (HS AA), Caroline (HS AA), Saylor, and Piath?
I think someone forgot about the NPOY... :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Stanford team make up is also worth noting
Seniors 3 - (one a fifth year) two starters and one end of the bench - Uconn 0
Juniors 2 - one starter, one bench - Uconn 3 starters
Sophs 4 - one starter, one 6th, two bench - Uconn 2 bench
Fresh 3 - one starter, two end of the bench - Uconn 6 2 starters, one 6th, three end of the bench

Stanford had one senior opt out, and one junior out with a medical. Clearly a much more veteran team. Stanford's freshman Brink only started half the season replacing a sophomore Belibi who has become the 2nd player off the bench.

Basically if you take three of Uconn's freshman and give them 3 or 4 years to mature - you have Tara's team in terms of college experience.

With Anna and Nika coming off injuries, 3 freshman not ready for prime time and one sophomore somewhat inconsistent, not a lot of bench to work with. As it was, against AZ he got 30 minutes out of the bench. And 25 in the Baylor game when Nika wasn't available.

Reaction Score
Parity may be here.
Told people not to underestimate Arizona because people were underestimating UCLA in the men's bracket. See how that almost turned out.

Reaction Score
Everybody should learn from everybody. Not recognizing that simple fact is one of my great regrets in life.

Reaction Score
Tara had a very good game plan. She emphasized the great height advantage at every position and moved her players so that Arizona, particularly McDonald, encountered height whenever she went inside. She couldn't compensate for all the turnovers. The poor ball handling by Williams was unanticipated. I suspect that Geno tried to stress strengths and hide weaknesses in the same way. I thought Tara's end of game strategy against McDonald was excellent. Perhaps Geno could learn from Tara about end of game strategies with so many close losses in Final Fours and against Notre Dame?

Reaction Score
Geno said earlier this year this program was built to get to the sweet 16. Once Uconn turned in to a winning program he learned how to do that. He’s gotten the desired results, lifetime employment, no need to relocate the family, very well above average standard of living, Why mess with the formula?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Their depth, however, is at the 3-5 positions. It is going to be difficult for them to replace Williams and Wilson and to keep one of their three centers from the portal.
@Jordy, I know what you mean but realistically if you are 3rd on the depth chart you do not transfer away from a Stanford degree. You have no future in basketball so get on the fast track in your real profession.

Reaction Score
@Jordy, I know what you mean but realistically if you are 3rd on the depth chart you do not transfer away from a Stanford degree. You have no future in basketball so get on the fast track in your real profession.
Isn’t playing regularly on a college team a future in basketball? I know what you mean, but these are teenagers.

Reaction Score
Subbing has many benefits in addition to giving the starters rest and extra energy at the end of games. Sitting even for 2 minutes provides them a different perspective of the game and helps the coaches point out what is needed. Also provides the coaches with info should injuries occur. Hard to say that subs are not a benefit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom