Geno Calls Out Paige for Poor Play | The Boneyard

Geno Calls Out Paige for Poor Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the presser after the Texas game, Geno stated that Paige played poorly. The question is was that fair? I believe he did so because he wanted to send a message to her.

Let me preface my comments by saying that Paige is my all-time favorite player. I am not critiquing her play. She has performed admirably after missing last season and the better part of the season prior. Expectations of what she is capable of are high, and maybe it's too much to expect a return to form so soon. I think it is reasonable to state that she hasn't reached her comfort level on the court yet, and the injuries to Azzi & Caroline appear to have had impact on her and the role she needs to assume.

Paige looks like she is carrying so much weight on her shoulders. I haven't seen much joy in her. Of course, playing for UConn and losing 3 times in the first 7 games won't produce a happy camper. I won't speculate how she feels physically, although for a superstar, she is roughed up and not protected by the refs. My concern is I think she is struggling with her role mentally. The dream of playing alongside Azzi was dashed, and now she's expected to pick up her lost production as well as Caroline's. I haven't seen the exuberance yet of her freshman season. Paige prefers to be a distributor, getting everyone involved and choosing to pick her spots to take over, but that has to change.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I felt she was subdued in the game against Minnesota. She started the game yesterday tentatively and didn't really look to be aggressive offensively. For this team to succeed, she has to take close to 20 shots, particularly against the top teams. She has to lead by example and then get her teammates to follow. There are too many first-year players and the only other reliable option is Aaliyah. The freshmen will be good, but it's a lot of pressure to carry, as Paige knows all to well. She can do it and handle it, and that is why Geno called her out yesterday.

I don't care if she shoots 1-20 in a game, as long as she is aggressive. At least 10 of them should be deadly pull-up jumper, which so far is missing in action. I realize Paige seldom takes bad shots, but I can live with some forced ones, if only to draw more attention from the defense, thus opening space for other players, particularly Samuels & Shade when they are in the game.

Paige has always stated she will do what's necessary for the team to win. Well, this year it's necessary that she shoot more. The sooner she embraces her role, the sooner UConn as a team can begin to jell, and the sooner the joy comes back to her game.

Reaction Score
USC Freshman phenon took 25 shots yesterday (made 11 plus FT for 30 points), that’s with a great supporting cast. When you have a stud, you have to ride it hard! Geno is correct!

sun

Reaction Score
She didn't wear a thumb splint for the 1st time but that doesn't mean that her thumb is completely healed.
There were so many bodies going down on the floor that it looked like a hockey game.
Maybe she's disappointed with the skills of her teammates that she's being surrounded with.
She's not one to butt heads, but if she could freely speak her mind she'd probably voice some complaints.

Coming off surgery & having taken some falls lately, she probably wants to be careful about every move she makes.
We don't know what happens in practices & how it affects players.
There's bound to be a lot of things cluttering up her brain.
It almost seems like Paige & Edwards have an inverse scoring relationship going on, when one's up the other is down.
A scoring trio would be more stable & consistent than a scoring duo.

Reaction Score
To me, Paige looks sad or upset in most of her statements. Please, light your smile up!

Coming off a season-ending injury to Azzi suffering a season-ending injury and Carol being out indefinitely, I can’t even begin to imagine what Paige is going through. Her entire career at UConn has been riddled with injuries for both her and her best friends, it has to be hard to feel optimistic.

Reaction Score
To me, Paige looks sad or upset in most of her statements. Please, light your smile up!
She's sad and feel bad for Azzi upset because they are losing and they had high expectations for this year

Reaction Score
Geno said that she dribbled too much and went against 2 to 3 defenders which was not good. My question, those 2/3 defenders came from having to ignore the other players out there with Paige. When 4 starters are below avg. outside shooters, their defenders can fall back to help Paige's defender making it crowded in the lane for her. Having more threat from the 3 point line would open things up for Paige.
Also, Womens college basketball is starting to look more like Rugby, making it hard for player's skills to shine.

Reaction Score
I thought it was me. She seemed unlike herself. The fire was gone. On tv they showed her about an hour before the game entering the venue. She just seemed flat. She dribbled a lot because the same reason that Edwards holds the ball against double and triple teams...teammates aren't cutting and creating a passing lane.

Reaction Score
In the presser after the Texas game, Geno stated that Paige played poorly. The question is was that fair? I believe he did so because he wanted to send a message to her.

Let me preface my comments by saying that Paige is my all-time favorite player. I am not critiquing her play. She has performed admirably after missing last season and the better part of the season prior. Expectations of what she is capable of are high, and maybe it's too much to expect a return to form so soon. I think it is reasonable to state that she hasn't reached her comfort level on the court yet, and the injuries to Azzi & Caroline appear to have had impact on her and the role she needs to assume.

Paige looks like she is carrying so much weight on her shoulders. I haven't seen much joy in her. Of course, playing for UConn and losing 3 times in the first 7 games won't produce a happy camper. I won't speculate how she feels physically, although for a superstar, she is roughed up and not protected by the refs. My concern is I think she is struggling with her role mentally. The dream of playing alongside Azzi was dashed, and now she's expected to pick up her lost production as well as Caroline's. I haven't seen the exuberance yet of her freshman season. Paige prefers to be a distributor, getting everyone involved and choosing to pick her spots to take over, but that has to change.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I felt she was subdued in the game against Minnesota. She started the game yesterday tentatively and didn't really look to be aggressive offensively. For this team to succeed, she has to take close to 20 shots, particularly against the top teams. She has to lead by example and then get her teammates to follow. There are too many first-year players and the only other reliable option is Aaliyah. The freshmen will be good, but it's a lot of pressure to carry, as Paige knows all to well. She can do it and handle it, and that is why Geno called her out yesterday.

I don't care if she shoots 1-20 in a game, as long as she is aggressive. At least 10 of them should be deadly pull-up jumper, which so far is missing in action. I realize Paige seldom takes bad shots, but I can live with some forced ones, if only to draw more attention from the defense, thus opening space for other players, particularly Samuels & Shade when they are in the game.

Paige has always stated she will do what's necessary for the team to win. Well, this year it's necessary that she shoot more. The sooner she embraces her role, the sooner UConn as a team can begin to jell, and the sooner the joy comes back to her game.
True, but she was double and triple teamed vs Texas. And the guard who covered her was stronger, faster and more athletic. The starters gave her no help. None. She got some help only when Shade , Q and KK were on the floor with her. I think Geno noted that.

Reaction Score
Paige wants to to coached hard.Geno can get away with calling her out Paige can take criticism.Remember when he was calling her Paige Kardashian.Geno would not do that to Azzi it wouldn’t work. As of today UCONN has lost to the number 2 3 and 5 ranked teams in the country

Reaction Score
I thought it was me. She seemed unlike herself. The fire was gone. On tv they showed her about an hour before the game entering the venue. She just seemed flat. She dribbled a lot because the same reason that Edwards holds the ball against double and triple teams...teammates aren't cutting and creating a passing lane.

I wouldn't recommend using the footage of her walking in as insight or a clue. That footage of her walking in was likely filmed well before it was broadcast on TV.

Teams are in the arena a couple hours before tip off. It's highly unlikely UConn would have a player coming in that late before a game.

Reaction Score
Paige hasn’t seemed there mentally since the Maryland game which is probably the last game they played before the official news about Azzi.

Reaction Score
If there's one player on this team I'm not worried about, it's Paige. If Geno is looking to assign blame for losses, there's plenty of that to go around before I start looking at Paige.
The star player should always get the most blame for a loss and should embrace that mentality. Fans being unable to criticize Paige when she was a big reason for the loss is crazy to me.

Reaction Score

I mostly agree with you, but when there are no other players reliable draining shots, the defensive focus on her is constant and intense. I wish she would drive less and find more jumpers, as you said.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't recommend using the footage of her walking in as insight or a clue. That footage of her walking in was likely filmed well before it was broadcast on TV.

Teams are in the arena a couple hours before tip off. It's highly unlikely UConn would have a player coming in that late before a game.
I'm estimating. Could have been 3 hours. I just noticed that she didn't engage anyone which is unlike her. She just seemed blank. On the bench too. Now that I think of it...the bench did too.

Reaction Score

About two weeks ago, Geno mentioned Paige had some planter fasciitis. Have had this when playing competitive sports and its tough to get over it when you spend every day running, jumping, etc. Even if its mostly over, you still often have a constant ache. Paige is normally a smile first, high energy player. No specific knowledge - just wondering.

Reaction Score
She's coming off another serious injury, perhaps has some other nagging pain, and is still trying to get comfortable on the floor. She gets grabbed constantly and hammered when she goes to the hoop. Except for Edwards and the frosh, not getting much help. She knows exactly where her game is at the moment. Dumb statements like that are not necessary. What he might do is get himself fired up a bit, like he used to, and got technicals. Paige and Aaliyah got knocked down constantly yesterday, and he said nothing. Protect your players, coach!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom