Geno Auriemma: Inside a Championship Program | The Boneyard

Geno Auriemma: Inside a Championship Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I love reading insights about Geno's coaching strategies. These articles give us a glimpse of why UCONN is the premier womens' basketball program.

G

genosguy

Wonderful, just wonderful. He failed to mention--hire a Christine Dailey as your Associate. But a biggie is DON'T BE LOOKING FOR THE NEXT JOB, DO THE ONE YOU HAVE TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITIES.
Geno should write a book on his philosophies . I don't always agree with his politics, but his philosophies are the best.

Reaction Score
Boy, reading that brought back an old (70 year) memory - my first basketball coach telling me that basketball was easy - all you had to do was learn to shoot, rebound, pass, dribble, and play defense - BUT YOU PLAY DEFENSE HALF THE GAME. You sat the bench if you weren't totally into defense.

Years later, I told a basketball playing daughter about the five skills and their relative importance in playing time and satisfaction. She applied them and was good.

Fast forward - taking my grandson to a CYO basketball practice and, out of the blue, he told me - Pops, basketball is easy, all you have to do is ----- you get the rest.

Sometimes, life lessons are learned and passed on.

Reaction Score
Wonderful, just wonderful. He failed to mention--hire a Christine Dailey as your Associate. But a biggie is DON'T BE LOOKING FOR THE NEXT JOB, DO THE ONE YOU HAVE TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITIES.
Geno should write a book on his philosophies . I don't always agree with his politics, but his philosophies are the best.

Yes, he has many unique philosophies and his Will Rogers-like quips would make a fun read. "Defense wins games-offense just determines by how much", "We practice things over and over again, not so that we get it right but so that we can't get it wrong", etc.

I really think that Geno sees the world through a unique prism. He's in a different category from all the other coaches. But his greatest strength is his people skills and the unique ability to motivate individuals in different ways. How much fun is it to see how he molds each new team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom