Geno at Kentucky Derby (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno at Kentucky Derby (merged thread)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't follow racing as much as I once did, so I had not heard of Mike Manganello. He did a masterful job.
Honestly, nobody did at the time either. He was the Sonny Leon of his day.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Thank you Nan. That view also shows us the absolutely impressive acceleration Rich Strike put on as he made that winning move.
Last half in more than 52 seconds so the winner's "acceleration" probably is more about the field spitting out the bit than Rich Strike's ability to close. That said, even against a stamina-challenged field, you still have to get your nose on the wire first and Rich Strike's name won't look any different than the other winners on the trophy.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Going back to those mentioning attending various Triple Crown races. I was at the Belmont for Seattle Slew, as others said, expected result. But I did keep a ticket for a souvenir.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Last half in more than 52 seconds so the winner's "acceleration" probably is more about the field spitting out the bit than Rich Strike's ability to close. That said, even against a stamina-challenged field, you still have to get your nose on the wire first and Rich Strike's name won't look any different than the other winners on the trophy.
Kill joy! Unless you are Secretariat that last quarter is often the slowest of the race. Still he made a big move and it was glorious to see.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Going back to those mentioning attending various Triple Crown races. I was at the Belmont for Seattle Slew, as others said, expected result. But I did keep a ticket for a souvenir.
I've been twice. First, was the great AP Indy. Second, was the not so great Summer Bird. But I remember Munnings winning for fun on the undercard and is now a hot sire.

Reaction Score
… First, was the great AP Indy…
Went to Oaks & Derby. Toured several Lexington farms beforehand, including Lane’s End where AP Indy RIP:
1652146400914.jpeg

Reaction Score
Last half in more than 52 seconds so the winner's "acceleration" probably is more about the field spitting out the bit than Rich Strike's ability to close. That said, even against a stamina-challenged field, you still have to get your nose on the wire first and Rich Strike's name won't look any different than the other winners on the
Final half miles are usually run slower than the first half. But, Rich Strike’s time for the final half might actually be several seconds faster. The time for the first three quarters in this race is the time the leading horse reached the half mile pole. At that time, Rich Strike was about 18 lengths or approximately 3.6 seconds behind the leader. (Historically, a length is 1/5 of a second.). So he ran his final half pretty close to 48.4 seconds. Maybe a little faster since he was at least a length ahead at the finish line. That is pretty fast for a three year old going that distance and around two turns and carrying 126 lbs for the first time. I do not have the final chart of the race so the numbers I used might be a off by a few tenths.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I've been to the outside of the racetrack, it was closed when we were in Lville 2 years ago after the protests shut down most of the CIty. It's unbelivebly big!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am sorry. Someone mentioned Secretariat and I conjure up in my mind the 30 length win at Belmont in 1973. Unbelievable....
The 'tremendous machine!'
Sham who came into the KD as a favorite to win a triple crown, fought hard in the first two races and then Secretariat made a match race of the Belmont for the first half and then just broke him and he trailed in behind the field.

Been to the Belmont a few times but never for a triple crown chance.

Reaction Score

Thanks for posting the vid Nan. I don't follow the ponies other than watching triple crown races, but this year I hadn't even seen the replay of the KD until just now. What a race!.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I have watched this Belmont innumerable times. It is not a horse race, but a celebration of Secretariat's immense and singular ability.
So, I'm sitting in the press box, a couple of hours after the race, after everyone has filed their stories and Charles Hatton, the dean of turf writers and my mentor says to me, "You know what you just witnessed, kid?"

"Yeah, I know, Charlie," I reply.

"No, you don't," he says. "Wait 50 years, until you've never seen another horse as good as Secretariat, and then you'll understand."

He was right, of course.

In writing about Secretariat, Hatton penned this:

"Exterminator and Man o' War have come and gone since the present writer's first acquaintance with the sport. Impressions of longstanding tend to become fixed and assume a prescriptive right not to be questioned. But Secretariat is the most capable horse we ever saw, and geriatrics defeat any thought of ever seeing his like again. Secretariat was the Horse of the Century and his only reference point is himself."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom