Geno and what NCs mean to him | The Boneyard

Geno and what NCs mean to him

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
So, I was thinking about something Geno said during the pre-recorded opening of the NC game broadcast. Specifically, he said something along the lines of, "If we win a national championship, my life doesn't change one bit, but it would change these kids' lives forever." This struck me as a more forceful variant of something he said during the 2009 tourney, to wit, more than anything, he wanted the NC for Renee because she'd done everything for Uconn that Sue or Jen had done. In other words, his focus over the years has gravitated more towards what a championship means to his players than to him.

Given that, I thought it'd be an interesting question as to the evolution of that thinking for him. He's right in that his life doesn't materially change with an eighth championship. He's rich, successful, an icon, in every basketball HoF imaginable, an Olympic coach, etc. He didn't need eight for any of that to be true. So, what might have been the threshold? His first certainly represented a quantum leap forward for him professionally. His second was critical insomuch as it elevated Uconn to top dog status in WBB. Three through five were perhaps less momentous, but they certainly helped build his legend, get him into the Naismith HoF, etc.

And then by 2009, he's talking about wanting to win it for Renee.

What do you think the evolution was? At what point did one more not have the same impact?

And tangentially, do you think he has specific professional goals? He's clearly still driven to win. What drives him? Is it just the kids? Does #9 matter because it would put him at #1 all time for WBB? All protests notwithstanding, does #11 have significance? Is there something else that motivates him other than it being something he's great at and still enjoys?

Obviously, none of us is Geno, but I thought it would be interesting to talk about these topics.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What a great and interesting post, Alex.

I'd say that with his admiration for Wooden, he would love to have 11 NCs.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I agree, IMHO 11 National Championships is a goal he would like to Win. While he dismisses comparisons to Wooden, Coach K etc, it would put him in a Class all by himself if he gets to 11 Championships. Most likely no other college coach will achieve 11 Championships in Basketball.

No one will touch Anson Dorrance the UNC Women's Soccer coach who has 21 National Championships.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Phil Jackson has 11, so if he passes Wooden, he'll tie Jackson, and need one more.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Well, we are getting a little full of ourselves here aren't we, but if he manages to pass Jackson, he'll find he still isn't the record holder for national championships, not even by a coach in Connecticut. Paul Assaiante has thirteen, in squash. And as an added bonus, thirteen consecutive.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lots of interesting questions, but not many answers from me.

At first, I thought that Geno might stop at 10, if he gets that far. He may not want to pass Coach Wooden, as Barry Sanders reportedly did not want to pass the iconic Walter Payton. But if Geno thinks that men's and women's records are not comparable, this may not be an issue. Damn, don't retire in 2 more years!

In the interview after the NC win this month, he noted the look on the players' faces. He said that was what made it all worthwhile. He's clearly doing it for the players. Hopefully, we fans motivate him a little too. :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good topic.
I think the first was thrilling for him - he and Uconn arrived. (1995)
the second was proof that he wasn't a 'one and done' coach/program - so that was important (2000)
the third moved him into the rarified air of Pat and a few mens coaches - so that was important (2002)
Since then it has all been down hill in terms of personal gratification and more and more about the players and carrying through on his promise to them. Certainly by 2004 it was about sending Dee and Maria out the right way.
And I am sure there was a little gratification for getting to 8, and would be for getting to 10. Not sure that 9 or 11 would matter to him - I don't think he needs to stand alone - he just needs to be as good as the best.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I think his evolution is something that is natural for many great professionals. There is a switch over to caring more about those you are teaching than yourself, in fact, far more. That's why people then get so competitive about their players/students' careers...It would be bad if this didn't happen, actually, and if a 60 year old coach was acting like a young all about me kinda person. So great for Geno to have grown in such positive ways!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
At this point I think it's more the length of the gap between titles rather than the number that he feels more. In any activity, there is always the "What have we and I done lately?" question, and when you have a span of four years such as in 2005-2008 with no titles and a group of players not getting an NC, that matters more. But whatever the figure finally accumulates to probably doesn't mean much to him because he is not traveling on the same path as John Wooden.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I believe it is very difficult to truly know what motivates a man / woman to succeed in their chosen endeavor without talking to directly to them. So in that regard, I would suggest Geno's book, "Geno, in Pursuit of Perfection". It is an excellent read and it really gives you insight into Geno, the man, what goes on behind the scenes and the drive and competitive spirit that is at the core of Geno's psyche.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I would be extremely surprised if Geno even thought about any specific number of NCs that he wants or expects to win.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Phil I did say COLLEGE Coach :)

Phil Jackson has 11, so if he passes Wooden, he'll tie Jackson, and need one more.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Phil I did say COLLEGE Coach :)

I understand, and didn't miss it.

I was picking up on a theme:

Geno now has 8 NC's tied with Pat. One more, and he stands alone with WBB College basketball coach records. Might that trigger thoughts of retirement? We don't want that, so let's find another record to chase.

Oh yes Wooden his the record holder of College basketball coaches, with 10. So surely he wants to match and pass Wooden.

What then, will he consider retirement? We don't want that, so let's find another record to chase.

As I had glanced at the cover of Jackson's book earlier that day, Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success, it seemed like a natural next step.

If you then bring up Dorrance, it seems a bridge too far, so I want to keep bringing up records that are challenging, but plausible, so after that, go for the Connecticut college coaching record of Paul Assaiante. If he gets there, we'll find something else.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hey -
I understand, and didn't miss it.

I was picking up on a theme:

Geno now has 8 NC's tied with Pat. One more, and he stands alone with WBB College basketball coach records. Might that trigger thoughts of retirement? We don't want that, so let's find another record to chase.

Oh yes Wooden his the record holder of College basketball coaches, with 10. So surely he wants to match and pass Wooden.

What then, will he consider retirement? We don't want that, so let's find another record to chase.

As I had glanced at the cover of Jackson's book earlier that day, Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success, it seemed like a natural next step.

If you then bring up Dorrance, it seems a bridge too far, so I want to keep bringing up records that are challenging, but plausible, so after that, go for the Connecticut college coaching record of Paul Assaiante. If he gets there, we'll find something else.
I just read that Phil wants to get back in the game - people are reading all sorts of reasons into this, but I know the truth - I saw hime flipping through a Uconn media guide and he just froze for like ten minutes, face getting pale, eyes getting bigger. Finally he moved again, pulled out his phone and dialed his agent and shouted 'Find me another coaching job, NOW!!!' Phil is feeling the heat of Geno's inevitable rise, and knows he needs like three more to be safe again!

Reaction Score
Hey -
I just read that Phil wants to get back in the game - people are reading all sorts of reasons into this, but I know the truth - I saw hime flipping through a Uconn media guide and he just froze for like ten minutes, face getting pale, eyes getting bigger. Finally he moved again, pulled out his phone and dialed his agent and shouted 'Find me another coaching job, NOW!!!' Phil is feeling the heat of Geno's inevitable rise, and knows he needs like three more to be safe again!
Phil is good, but I prefer Red Auerbach. As coach and GM, had 16 titles in 29 years.

Reaction Score
Phil is good, but I prefer Red Auerbach. As coach and GM, had 16 titles in 29 years.

Red was great but it's harder in college with the constant player turnover. Red had a team loaded with all stars and HOF players. Not minimizing what he did, just saying it's harder in college.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At this point I think it's more the length of the gap between titles rather than the number that he feels more. In any activity, there is always the "What have we and I done lately?" question, and when you have a span of four years such as in 2005-2008 with no titles and a group of players not getting an NC, that matters more. But whatever the figure finally accumulates to probably doesn't mean much to him because he is not traveling on the same path as John Wooden.
I think the spacing matters to him. It probably bothers him that Mel did not get a NC ring and didn't even get to a FF as an active player. With Tina, for example, it was clear that Geno's goal was to help Tina reach her goals. That's his goal generally--to help kids like Kelly get what they want.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
... something along the lines of, "If we win a national championship, my life doesn't change one bit, but it would change these kids' lives forever."... What drives him? Is it just the kids?...
Yes.
UConn carry.jpg

“That’s one thing I’ve learned this past month, which I wasn’t doing up till this point. I’m going to show up in September and just enjoy being around her (Breanna Stewart) and the rest of the team and live in the moment…” “... Everybody out there knows that we have the ability to win the national championship next year,” he said. “So it’s understood. Let’s not throw it out there all the time… But eight’s a lot better than seven and not as good as nine.” -Coach Auriemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom