Geno and Rio | The Boneyard

Geno and Rio

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma reunited with 5 UConn players for Rio

"If I can get anything out of this one, it would be to really enjoy the moment more (and) not get so caught up in the what-ifs,” he said last week during a trip to the White House with his Connecticut team. “Not start to imagine — ‘Oh my God, what if this kid gets hurt? What if this one doesn’t play well? What if this one fouls out?’ — and drive yourself crazy worrying about all the what-ifs and just enjoy what is.”

“It’s the icing on the cake, for sure, to be able to play for your college coach again,” three-time Olympic gold medalist and former Husky Sue Bird said at the 2016 Team USA Media Summit in March. “Once you graduate from college, it’s an opportunity you think you’ll never have again.”

upload_2016-5-15_14-38-5.png

Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma reunited with 5 UConn players for Rio

"If I can get anything out of this one, it would be to really enjoy the moment more (and) not get so caught up in the what-ifs,” he said last week during a trip to the White House with his Connecticut team. “Not start to imagine — ‘Oh my God, what if this kid gets hurt? What if this one doesn’t play well? What if this one fouls out?’ — and drive yourself crazy worrying about all the what-ifs and just enjoy what is.”

“It’s the icing on the cake, for sure, to be able to play for your college coach again,” three-time Olympic gold medalist and former Husky Sue Bird said at the 2016 Team USA Media Summit in March. “Once you graduate from college, it’s an opportunity you think you’ll never have again.”

View attachment 13672

LIFES LESSON well taught by Geno---Forget about the IF's there is nothing you can do about them (usually) --yesterday is dead and gone --and tomorrow is out of sight (to sing a tune)..
I've always liked everything Sue Bird class act that woman!!
RIO--maybe they should move it to a new non dangerous to young adults location??

Reaction Score
"He also won gold as an assistant coach in the 2000 Olympics in Sydney."

Nitpick: Coaches don't get gold medals, they get atta[boys] and ifs.
\

I think Geno talked about that a while back--but no long. As a nitpicker you need practice--nits often pick real minute particles--you add information. Fact remains he was an assistant with Sidney (something to nit pick about) in 2000.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Loved this quote from the GOAT coach:

People often think so many UConn players are on his team because they played for him in college, Auriemma said. But that’s simply not the case.

“They’re on the team because they’re really good,” he said. “They’re five of the best players in the world, and not matter who is coaching, they’d be on the team. I’m just fortunate enough to be the one coaching them
.”

No matter how well they do, it's unfortunate that for some, there will be a cloud over the WBB Olympics. But for me, I can't wait to see them play. Really hoping they bring home the gold, as there a ton of teams out there gunning for them.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
The more I learn about Brazil's current conditions, the more I hope the team stays home.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rampant crime, filth, disease and a bankrupt government that last week announced a 30% reduction in the budget for Olympic security. What is not to like?

Reaction Score
LIFES LESSON well taught by Geno---Forget about the IF's there is nothing you can do about them (usually) --yesterday is dead and gone --and tomorrow is out of sight (to sing a tune)..
I've always liked everything Sue Bird class act that woman!!
RIO--maybe they should move it to a new non dangerous to young adults location??
Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery. Today is a gift; that's why they call it the present.

Reaction Score
The more I learn about Brazil's current conditions, the more I hope the team stays home.
Rampant crime, filth, disease and a bankrupt government that last week announced a 30% reduction in the budget for Olympic security. What is not to like?
The more I read of this Olympics the mind set becomes more of troops being deployed to (pick the latest hell hole). This rather than a friendly sporting competition in what would be a splendid memory filled locale. :confused: :mad:

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score

Not to mention an impeached leader. Bordering on chaos, it sounds to me. Maybe its time to make MMA an Olympic sport, the Brazilians are good at it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-19/rio-warns-of-fiscal-collapse-as-brazil-states-seek-debt-relief
Rio de Janeiro Chief of Staff Leonardo Espindola warned that the crisis comes as the state prepares to host the Olympic Games in August, possibly making it difficult to carry out basic functions such as fueling police cars and maintaining hospitals.

“We’re talking about the image of the country,” he said. “We are nearing a social collapse in our state.”

If you have been paying the slightest bit of attention, then you know there are big issues concerning athlete and spectator saftey at the upcoming Rio Summer Olypics. Rio was never properly vetted as a site and everyone knows why. In a word, bribery and lots of it. The IOC is only slightly less blatant about it than FIFA. The first big saftey issue surfaced (pun intended) last year when i9ndependent and more thorough water testing revealed that the athletes are being asked to perform in an open sewer, which is what then ocean adjoining Rio is. www.nbcnews.com/news/world/even-far-shore-rio-olympic-water-dangerously-polluted-ap-finds-n472961 Barely a month after these tests revealed the hideous level of bacterial and viral pollution - up to 1.7 million times what it would take to close a California beach - the Olympic Committee had test events performed by athletes - sailors and swimmers - I would guess in order to quiet the concerns being increasingly voiced. Well, surprise - and the IOC did not voluntarily disclose this - almost all became ill! Brazil promised the pollution would be addressed. Nothing has been done. Zero. Zip. Nadda. www.ctvnews.ca/sports/ex-head-of-sailing-body-says-he-was-fired-over-rio-s-polluted-water-1.2752551 "Rio treats only about half of its raw sewage, so bacteria and viruses in the bay are long-term problems without short-term fixes."

Along comes Zika. 'Nough said. State Dept. says women should not travel to SA.

The third factor is criminality and terrorism. Rio, though popular with tourists, has always been dangerous for tourists.
www.virtualtourist.com/travel/South_America/Brazil/Estado_do_Rio_de_Janeiro/Rio_de_Janeiro-1504237/Warnings_or_Dangers-Rio_de_Janeiro-TG-C-1.html
www.travelchannel.com/destinations/brazil/rio-de-janeiro/articles/how-to-stay-safe-in-rio

You can't make this poo up! National Teams to be charged for mosquito netting in living quarters!!! Yeah, Brazil is on top of it. Nothing to worry about.www.foxnews.com/health/2016/02/29/rio-olympics-to-charge-teams-for-mosquito-screens-to-prevent-zika.html?intcmp=hphz02

www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/03/01/zika-epidemic-uncovers-brazils-hidden-birth-defect-problem/
It's a 3rd world country for god's sake!

www.si.com/olympics/2016/02/09/zika-virus-rio-2016-olympics-health-risks
bigstory.ap.org/article/d92f6af5121f49d982601a657d745e95/ap-investigation-rios-olympic-water-rife-sewage-virus

thebiglead.com/2016/02/09/the-rio-olympics-are-shaping-up-to-be-a-gigantic-disaster/

I'm sure the installation of a military junta won't put people off.www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/embattled-brazilian-presidents-coalition-collapses/ar-BBr5oUy?li=BBnbcA1
The railroads may work, but the ocean will still be Brazil's toilet.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The post above is a cut and paste job of several posts I made on another site over the last 4 months, so some of the time references are definitely off as to time of reports.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I would not be surprised if they try to get the games started
And find it's impossible to continue and send everybody home.

Sorry to speculate.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
\

I think Geno talked about that a while back--but no long. As a nitpicker you need practice--nits often pick real minute particles--you add information. Fact remains he was an assistant with Sidney (something to nit pick about) in 2000.
nitpick re-reversed
it is Sydney... not Sidney.

how could someone correct (well, try) to correct someone without doing their research first

Sydney 2000 Summer Olympics | Olympic Videos, Photos, News

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised if they try to get the games started
And find it's impossible to continue and send everybody home.

Sorry to speculate.

As dreadful as things are sounding, most likely they will pull off the Olympics. With some rough patches here and there, to be sure, but I think it will go on and most people will eventually forget about all the issues they had setting it up.

And then the Olympic train will roll out of town, leaving a massive public debt and decaying sports infrastructure in its wake.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
And then the Olympic train will roll out of town, leaving a massive public debt and decaying sports infrastructure in its wake.

Thank G-d for the people of Boston.

Reaction Score
Thank G-d for the people of Boston.

People in the West seem to be slowly wising up to the way the Olympics are. The price tag just keeps going up, far beyond the potential payback. Which is why quite a few of the more recent and near-future Olympiads and Olympic bids are in places run by authoritarian regimes, looking for some national prestige. The 2022 Winter Olympics was a real struggle to find a valid host, and they eventually settled for Beijing, a flat city without reliable winter snow. :rolleyes:

Eventually the Olympics might need to bite the bullet and try to arrange a system of permanent, rotating Olympic sites. Only the guarantee of return business every 12 or 16 years will make it palatable to keep building these boondoggles.

Reaction Score
nitpick re-reversed

how could someone correct (well, try) to correct someone without doing their research first

nitpick re-reversed

\
STUPID ME---I GET IT --FINALLY---I LEFT THAT SIDNEY FOR SOMEONE TO PIC AS A NIT
AND YOU GAVE ME WHAT I ASKED FOR----THANK YOU!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-19/rio-warns-of-fiscal-collapse-as-brazil-states-seek-debt-relief
Rio de Janeiro Chief of Staff Leonardo Espindola warned that the crisis comes as the state prepares to host the Olympic Games in August, possibly making it difficult to carry out basic functions such as fueling police cars and maintaining hospitals.

“We’re talking about the image of the country,” he said. “We are nearing a social collapse in our state.”

If you have been paying the slightest bit of attention, then you know there are big issues concerning athlete and spectator saftey at the upcoming Rio Summer Olypics. Rio was never properly vetted as a site and everyone knows why. In a word, bribery and lots of it. The IOC is only slightly less blatant about it than FIFA. The first big saftey issue surfaced (pun intended) last year when i9ndependent and more thorough water testing revealed that the athletes are being asked to perform in an open sewer, which is what then ocean adjoining Rio is. www.nbcnews.com/news/world/even-far-shore-rio-olympic-water-dangerously-polluted-ap-finds-n472961 Barely a month after these tests revealed the hideous level of bacterial and viral pollution - up to 1.7 million times what it would take to close a California beach - the Olympic Committee had test events performed by athletes - sailors and swimmers - I would guess in order to quiet the concerns being increasingly voiced. Well, surprise - and the IOC did not voluntarily disclose this - almost all became ill! Brazil promised the pollution would be addressed. Nothing has been done. Zero. Zip. Nadda. www.ctvnews.ca/sports/ex-head-of-sailing-body-says-he-was-fired-over-rio-s-polluted-water-1.2752551 "Rio treats only about half of its raw sewage, so bacteria and viruses in the bay are long-term problems without short-term fixes."

Along comes Zika. 'Nough said. State Dept. says women should not travel to SA.

The third factor is criminality and terrorism. Rio, though popular with tourists, has always been dangerous for tourists.
www.virtualtourist.com/travel/South_America/Brazil/Estado_do_Rio_de_Janeiro/Rio_de_Janeiro-1504237/Warnings_or_Dangers-Rio_de_Janeiro-TG-C-1.html
www.travelchannel.com/destinations/brazil/rio-de-janeiro/articles/how-to-stay-safe-in-rio

You can't make this poo up! National Teams to be charged for mosquito netting in living quarters!!! Yeah, Brazil is on top of it. Nothing to worry about.www.foxnews.com/health/2016/02/29/rio-olympics-to-charge-teams-for-mosquito-screens-to-prevent-zika.html?intcmp=hphz02

www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/03/01/zika-epidemic-uncovers-brazils-hidden-birth-defect-problem/
It's a 3rd world country for god's sake!

www.si.com/olympics/2016/02/09/zika-virus-rio-2016-olympics-health-risks
bigstory.ap.org/article/d92f6af5121f49d982601a657d745e95/ap-investigation-rios-olympic-water-rife-sewage-virus

thebiglead.com/2016/02/09/the-rio-olympics-are-shaping-up-to-be-a-gigantic-disaster/

I'm sure the installation of a military junta won't put people off.www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/embattled-brazilian-presidents-coalition-collapses/ar-BBr5oUy?li=BBnbcA1
The railroads may work, but the ocean will still be Brazil's toilet.

All good stuff!!!! To me the main reason to avoid the Olympics or to postpone,and change to another city is Zika!!
The germ lives in SPERM for months---don't bring that home with you. Dangerous to health --people have actually died from it. And WOMEN of our WBB olympic team's age if pregnant or become pregnant for a time after being bitten
you know the rest. Why in the name of life and limb would the world Olympic Committee keep these game alive???

Reaction Score
As dreadful as things are sounding, most likely they will pull off the Olympics. With some rough patches here and there, to be sure, but I think it will go on and most people will eventually forget about all the issues they had setting it up.

What you say USUALLY holds true--if things go smoothly.
The largest "rough patch" is Zika---apparently they prefer the 2 gallon pump spray as opposed to airplane, large area , spraying.
It is done in the USA to rid ourselves of Gypsy Moths--and they don't take (human) lives or cause deformed babies.. From what I've heard they are having difficulties (financial and physical) creating some venues.
I have a cousin and his Brazilian family in Rio.
They had a booming economy (in the top 5 or so)when this all started--now they aren't doing so good..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom