Geno and John Wooden | The Boneyard

Geno and John Wooden

Reaction Score
I ran across this quote this morning from an NPR article about LeBron overtaking Kareem for the all-time NBA scoring lead:

"In the book, Coach Wooden and Me: Our 50-year Friendship On and Off The Court, Kareem said:

"There were no shortcuts in John Wooden's basketball program. You did it until you did it right, and then you did it again."
To me this sounds like Geno and what his players would say.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I ran across this quote this morning from an NPR article about LeBron overtaking Kareem for the all-time NBA scoring lead:
"In the book, Coach Wooden and Me: Our 50-year Friendship On and Off The Court, Kareem said:
To me this sounds like Geno and what his players would say.
1675561089520.png

Reaction Score
This is no surprise, because Geno read Woodens book and greatly admired his foundational philosophy upon which Johns system was based. Wooden was more than just a coach who created a system. He was a philosopher. His players recognized that and that is why they respected him. Even Bill Walton the consomete rebel loved the man and continually praises him. He still brings up the fact that Wooden, on his first day before practice, made him take off his shoes and then showed him how to put on his socks correctly . At the time Walton thought he was crazy, but he soon came to understand his reasons for what he did. Geno carried on that philosophy and that is why he had the same success as Wooden did.

However, Wooden mentioned just a few years after his retirement that he did not think he could coach that new breed of player coming out of high school. The womans game was far behind the mens in that respect but have finally caught up. I was always wondering if and when Geno finally decides he he has had enough and would no longer try to adjust and compromise his standards for the less dedicated group of womens players coming out of high school today.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom