Geno and De'Janae's game | The Boneyard

Geno and De'Janae's game

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Coach saw a game that was more one-sided than UConn v. Seton Hall. I'm sure he went because of the opening in UConn's schedule, but Flowers won by a ridiculous score of 105-7. The score over the last 3 quarters was 79-2. That's an impressive run. :) When a 15-1 team plays a 1-15 team, it can get pretty ugly. And it sure did.

De'Janae had 22 and 10, but probably did not log many minutes.

http://wiki.allmetsports.com/all-met/games/girls-basketball/northwestern/ch-flowers/2014/02/11/

Reaction Score
For the curious out there wondering how a team (Northwestern) that lost 105-7 could win even one game (1-15), the team they beat (High Point) for their only win, by the score of 56-39, is 0-13.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This game is an example of what can make recruiting so difficult. The opponent is so completely over matched that it is difficult to take away anything away from what you are seeing beyond the general athleticism of the player whom you are scouting.

Edit: Let me be clear Geno was not there to evaluate. Boykin has an offer. You don't offer a kid if you haven't already evaluated her. He was there maintaining contact and showing interest to a kid we want. None the less in the evaluation process these games occur and doing evaluation can be a horrendous task. AAU tournaments help to bring the best together to compete bringing things into better focus.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This game is an example of what can make recruiting so difficult. The opponent is so completely over matched that it is difficult to take away anything away from what you are seeing beyond the general athleticism of the player whom you are scouting.
Ok, I can take 15,000 posts with the polar bear covering his eye, but your new picture? I am positive I can't take 15,000 of those.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I have read somewhere deep in the past that oftentimes coaches prefer to see recruits practice rather than play games.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I hope that somebody is making the case for the need to develop at least a semblance of parity in whatever league those teams are playing in.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ok, I can take 15,000 posts with the polar bear covering his eye, but your new picture? I am positive I can't take 15,000 of those.
Oops, that was a click on the wrong photo. I'll fix it. I don't think I could take it, too. I mean this isn't Facebook.

Reaction Score
What goes through the mind of a coach that would allow his team to win by that margin? Not sure what I would do if I had a kid on either team. :confused:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What goes through the mind of a coach that would allow his team to win by that margin? Not sure what I would do if I had a kid on either team. :confused:
Some of these teams are so good and some of the teams are so bad that beyond just stopping play you have little control over the score. You still have to let your players play - not your starters for very long, but good HS teams have D1 type freshman as well as the D1 seniors so the bench is still a real mismatch.
On the recruiting - of course the coaches want to see the skill level, but that was already recognized before Geno took the trip. And then they are looking at a lot of little things that can still be observed even in a travesty like that game. Footwork, passing, interaction with players and coaches, involvement in the team even from the bench, demeanor, treatment of opposing players, fundamentals, etc.

Reaction Score
Geno wasn't there to watch her play, he's seen her plenty against other very good players on the summer circuit, he was there to let her see him and to know how important she is to UCONN. she only played about half the game and had a triple double in points/rebounds/assists, if she would have played the whole game the score would have been much worst but it was a smart move to take her out of a game like that don't want to risk injury in blowout.

According to information I got she had a good visit last weekend was in Storrs from saturday to monday evening, and then Geno was at her game 24 hours later,

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno wasn't there to watch her play, he's seen her plenty against other very good players on the summer circuit, he was there to let her see him and to know how important she is to UCONN. she only played about half the game and had a triple double in points/rebounds/assists, if she would have played the whole game the score would have been much worst but it was a smart move to take her out of a game like that don't want to risk injury in blowout.

According to information I got she had a good visit last weekend was in Storrs from saturday to monday evening, and then Geno was at her game 24 hours later,
Thanks, Don Corleone. I agree that Geno was there to show support and interest. He had to know the game would be one-sided in the extreme.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I hope that somebody is making the case for the need to develop at least a semblance of parity in whatever league those teams are playing in.
Kib, I'm not sure how you do that on a consistent basis in high school when schools have wide variation across time. Most states adjust for school size A-AAAA Private schools like parochial schools can do some recruiting. There are some private prep leagues. I'm not sure where you go beyond that without breaking school budgets for travel.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'm in the DC area as well, so I will have to check their schedule and try to catch one of her games when their playoffs begin. Might be some better action....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the first playoff game in March 1, which I cannot make. At a later game, I hope to see De'Janae ... and Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom