Geno’s Post game Notre Dame comments (own thread) | The Boneyard

Geno’s Post game Notre Dame comments (own thread)

Reaction Score
From "The Notre Dame Insider," classic Geno ...and Yogiesk!

Auriemma is gold quote after gold quote after a win. He never met a notepad he couldn’t fill. Sunday was no exception. But one sentence may have said it best. Not about his team. About Notre Dame.
“Just because you have everybody back, doesn’t mean you have the same team back,” Auriemma said. “Things change.”

Here's the full interesting article from South Bend:

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
From "The Notre Dame Insider," classic Geno ...and Yogiesk!

Auriemma is gold quote after gold quote after a win. He never met a notepad he couldn’t fill. Sunday was no exception. But one sentence may have said it best. Not about his team. About Notre Dame.
“Just because you have everybody back, doesn’t mean you have the same team back,” Auriemma said. “Things change.”
The rest of the quote is "Things change, people change. You always have to start over". Wise words from someone who's been there.

Why do reporters cut off the rest of quotes, I wonder?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The rest of the quote is "Things change, people change. You always have to start over". Wise words from someone who's been there.

Why do reporters cut off the rest of quotes, I wonder?
They are "selling to a particular audience" and in this case writing to an ND faithful that wants to continue to "hate Darth Vader and the Evil Empire". In our case, our posters want to continue to bash Muffet and Holly, so we very rarely give them any credit.

Reaction Score
In case you didn’t know the video pops up after Muffets Post game. Geno is in his usually good form with quips! I hope I did it correctly.

Thanks for posting this. I've been trying to find it, and thanks to you here it is. Now the Fat Lady has sung and I feel much better. Geno has a way of putting everything in perspective. If, as Coach says, his team was calm throughout the game, that comes, IMO, from him. He is very centered. "We're going up there to win," he said matter of factly. And they did.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Can't dip your toe in the same river twice. :rolleyes:
Double dipping can sometimes be fruitful. Just think about poor Achilles. Talk about regrets!

Reaction Score
"Ogunbowale tumbled into a verbal back-and-forth with Auriemma." I guess ND is still pushing the story that Geno was talking to Arike.
For those that saw the game, during the post game hand shake, Ogunbowale said something to Geno that caused him to do a double take. Anyone hear anything said about this? She clearly got his attention.

Reaction Score
For those that saw the game, during the post game hand shake, Ogunbowale said something to Geno that caused him to do a double take. Anyone hear anything said about this? She clearly got his attention.
My interpretation was not that she said something, but that she refused to shake hands. However, I as well, would like to know exactly what did happen ....which includes Shepard's remark immediately following. My guess is we'll be waiting a looonng time.

Reaction Score
Also sounds like Liv earned a lot more playing time.

That was quite an interesting comment from Geno.

The idea that if you prove yourself in a big game, you earn more playing time is kind of a no-brainer. That's how you'd expect things to work. But from what I recall of Geno press conferences, he doesn't often say it out loud. Especially with regard to a specific player.

He's more likely to say that a player or players have earned more time or trust from performing well at team practices, but that's a different subject. Not sure if he's uncommonly pleased with Liv, or if he's adjusted his way of speaking about his team to reflect what he thinks will work best with them.

Reaction Score

The idea that if you prove yourself in a big game, you earn more playing time is kind of a no-brainer. That's how you'd expect things to work. But from what I recall of Geno press conferences, he doesn't often say it out loud. Especially with regard to a specific player.

He's more likely to say that a player or players have earned more time or trust from performing well at team practices, but that's a different subject. Not sure if he's uncommonly pleased with Liv, or if he's adjusted his way of speaking about his team to reflect what he thinks will work best with them.
I think Geno sees a player coming off serious injury, working her butt off, trying to learn a position that's traditionally tough to play at UConn never mind as a freshman with six games experience, and incorporating more and more of what the coaches want. She might not be able to take some of the criticism and turn into something constructive like CW, but she has earned at least a little Geno praise and Geno has rightly given it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Practice is Geno's main approach to testing a players ability and fortitude but playing (reasonably) well in the most difficult of conditions is a far bigger test which Liv passed. She showed she could handle big situations and in the end, that is Geno's biggest concern for a new player.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Liv... he finally put her in the game to realize what she can do smh

Reaction Score
Some players may bust their butt and give everything that they possibly can in Geno's intense practices, but they may never reach the level that Geno expects and therefore, they sit. Players with talent like Collier, Samuelson, Dangerfield, Walker and Williams who have extra natural gifts will always receive the carrot if you, will and play on the floor. No disrespect to Molly, Kyla, and McCayla but they will have difficulty in breaking into that lineup, unless they are "the last woman standing".

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I read a Geno statement that said Liv plays better in games than in practice. That came as a surprise because it seems to indicate she will get to play even though she may not have a good practice. But then again, maybe not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom