Geno’s comments on who will play Saturday | The Boneyard

Geno’s comments on who will play Saturday

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
F4055AE9-B926-4684-A748-C6EE8CF1F529.jpeg

Reaction Score

What a great interview by Caroline. She came across as mature and free of any injury worries and is ready to participate in the best year Uconn ever had.Caroline really impressed me in her freshman year when she took over when Paige went down. Only to be injured herself and derail what would have a great freshman year.The thing I got from this interview was her positive attitude and the confidence she spoke about with her team mates in the coming games. Caroline will be an AA candidate this year and the team will have a year that will be talked about or a long time. GO CAROLINE!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score

This is a typical Geno interview.No under statements and no over statements. Just talking about a team in progress and his wait and see perspective about them, while hinting about how great they might be. He selected a few players that he thought they might be too good to sit on the bench. Though he was calm in the interview, he showed signs that this team could be spectacular. I really think it will be one of the best, if not THE best. GO HUSKIES!!!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno was asked about the S.C. v. N.D. game in Paris and went on to talk about the growth of basketball worldwide. Then he talked about Euros and Aussies coming to the U.S. to play college ball. It sure sounded as if he was talking about Juste Jocyte.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno says that Azzi has been the same every day--consistent. She's better at driving to the hoop and defending. And she was 7-13 from the arc in the scrimmage. Carol was apparently 9-11 from deep. He ways the team has 3 elite shooters and a number of others who are capable.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
wow! first time i've seen a realitively lengthy interview of caroline (or carol, as the team seems to call her) and i'm impressed. . . very enlightening.

struck me immediately that without the video i could have guessed it was azzi -- because of the voice, speech patterns and manner. does anyone in the BY notice that, or is it just me? and visually, they at times have similar smiles (both lovely).

i wonder if they had been roommates at some point and thereby developed such similarities in the process; reinforcing one another. they are from the same recruiting class. oddly both have reputations as crackerjack shooters.

without being specific, they both come across as serious, no-nonsense people -- but not stiff or humorless -- who would be easy to get along with. selfless teammates with kind streaks.

just my impressions, based on one interview. i would hope we get more such revealing interviews of 'carol.' i like her.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The thing that gets me about Caroline is the number of times that she has been bonked in her head and the resulting recovery that she has to endure.
What makes it really weird to me is how many, many players play 4 years of college BB and never had to enter into any concussion protocol.
Caroline deserves to have a healthy season and show us fans just what she is capable of. I really, really enjoy watching her play when she is playing her game!

Reaction Score
His comments on Amari seem to suggest that there has not been the “breakthrough” many BY’s expected. This doesn’t help the frontcourt depth.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
With three sharpshooters on the team, I see Nika and KK having a lot of assists. If the opposing team is too busy trying to limit the sharpshooters, then they should have someone open down low for the assist. Can't wait to watch these young ladies play this season, hope and pray they can go with no major injuries this year.

Reaction Score
The thing that gets me about Caroline is the number of times that she has been bonked in her head and the resulting recovery that she has to endure.
What makes it really weird to me is how many, many players play 4 years of college BB and never had to enter into any concussion protocol.
Caroline deserves to have a healthy season and show us fans just what she is capable of. I really, really enjoy watching her play when she is playing her game!
Once you have one severe concussion you are way more prone to getting more. Listening to her comments during the latest interview I am a little surprised she is still playing. I do hope her season is injury free just so she can stop thinking so much about it. I like her game and she certainly could be a very important role player on this team.

sun

Reaction Score
His comments on Amari seem to suggest that there has not been the “breakthrough” many BY’s expected. This doesn’t help the frontcourt depth.
I didn't get the impression that Geno was being negative about Amari.
He basically said that she was coming along & displaying all the skills, just not all at the same time & on a consistent basis.
However she ends up performing before the year is over, it will still be 100% more than Jana.
And I doubt that even Geno wants Amari to break her neck during practice.

If Geno has a better option then he'll send in someone else.
At least if you don't have too high expections for Amari then she won't disappoint you.
But as long as you only expect her to perform okay then she just may surprise you.
It's only WCBB & not like Amari will be playing in the WNBA or the Olympics.
She's just trying to get her college degree & contribute in any way that she can.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A lot of Carolyn's problems werent MORE concussions but symptoms of her first. All kinds of things cant trigger a relapse like bright lights, sudden movements, stress, and those are just a few. My boyfriend (when I was in high school) got a concussion from playing football and it lasted a long time even when he was deemed recovered. All kinds of things triggered dizziness, disorientation, upset stomach, and even double vision. He eventually got past it after a year.

Reaction Score
Once you have one severe concussion you are way more prone to getting more. Listening to her comments during the latest interview I am a little surprised she is still playing. I do hope her season is injury free just so she can stop thinking so much about it. I like her game and she certainly could be a very important role player on this team.
Although the current situation is positive, some of the comments she made are discouraging regarding still at this point needing to be careful regarding bright lights and loud sounds. In addition it sounds like most days she is good but some she may not be.

Clearly she is in much better condition than last year, when after her concussion she couldn't do anything other than just rest. She was never really in shape the whole season. The prior off-season she had hip surgery and wasn't really able to do what she needed to do to be in top condition by the season start, and then soon thereafter the concussions kicked in.

This season she starts practice more ready to go, but still with concerns over the concussion issue. I thought it was interesting that Geno said the question of starting her had come up, but that her day to day availability was a concern.

The Nika vs. Caroline debate for who teams with Paige and Azzi is of course one of the most heated ones here on the Boneyard. When Azzi's class joined Paige's, I fully expected Paige, Azzi and Caroline to be the starting guards for the next three years. Injuries have destroyed that plan for two of those three years, but they also gave Nika the opportunity out of necessity to elevate her game and make a case for a starting position.

It looks like Nika will be the third guard, but Geno's comments about at least discussing starting Caroline, probably means the decision was not that clear cut. I also think Geno's comments on Nika and Paige playing well together suggests Nika starts. Regardless if healthy, I expect the minutes per game might be close between the two because with the versatility of Paige, Caroline could come in for any of the 3, probably first for Nika with Paige sliding to the point.

Reaction Score
I didn't get the impression that Geno was being negative about Amari.
He basically said that she was coming along & displaying all the skills, just not all at the same time & on a consistent basis.
However she ends up performing before the year is over, it will still be 100% more than Jana.
And I doubt that even Geno wants Amari to break her neck during practice.

If Geno has a better option then he'll send in someone else.
At least if you don't have too high expections for Amari then she won't disappoint you.
But as long as you only expect her to perform okay then she just may surprise you.
It's only WCBB & not like Amari will be playing in the WNBA or the Olympics.
She's just trying to get her college degree & contribute in any way that she can.
I don't disagree with your statements, but I was commenting on a few BY'ers who believe (without any proof) that she would be the next great center at UConn. I have many years coaching experience and have commented that players who were similar to the (described/displayed) behaviors of Amari never become the Shea's/Kelly's/Nika's (effort) or the Maya's/Stewie's/Paige's (stone-cold winners and leaders). This has upset a few folks. I very well could be wrong, and will admit it if I am. That said, I have seen nothing yet to change my views. None of this means that she isn't a great person or teammate.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
A lot of Carolyn's problems werent MORE concussions but symptoms of her first. All kinds of things cant trigger a relapse like bright lights, sudden movements, stress, and those are just a few. My boyfriend (when I was in high school) got a concussion from playing football and it lasted a long time even when he was deemed recovered. All kinds of things triggered dizziness, disorientation, upset stomach, and even double vision. He eventually got past it after a year.
If I'm not mistaken, Caroline has left more than a couple of games after receiving contact to her upper body/head over the course of the last two seasons. On the other hand, many WBB players have played their whole collegiate career with out once getting hit in some manner that required them to go into concussion protocol. This is the point of my earlier post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom