General Olympic WBB (or other) results / discussion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

General Olympic WBB (or other) results / discussion

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
US was already trailing after the first rotation when Biles was still in there. In any case, foregone conclusion after she withdrew. Russia finishes 3.5 points ahead for the gold.
ROC also dominated the Men's Gymnastic Tournament.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Cat Osterman also had a 0.00 ERA, but whatever, I guess the Volsfolken can't be expected to rise above their parochial outlook, even during the Olympics.

Reaction Score
Watching the Fiji Rugby 7s team singing "We Shall Overcome" after winning the gold medal never gets old.
This clip is from Rio but if you get a chance to watch the replay of today's championship match, this year's version is just as heartfelt and poignant. Possibly even more so, given the country's present situation with COVID and their political standoff that's been ongoing for months:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Canada / S Korea starts at 9PM EDT. Both teams need this win desperately

Reaction Score
ROC also dominated the Men's Gymnastic Tournament.

Russia was caught red-handed doping and cheating during the 2014 winter Olympics, and were supposed to be banned from this Olympics. Instead, they just fully participated under a different name. Any and every Russian olympic medal will forever be viewed by me with extreme skepticism.....

Reaction Score
Unbelievable incompetence from play by play announcer on the Serbia-Spain WBB. Maite Carzola comes in and turns the game around for Spain (5-6 from 3, 19 pts all in 2nd half) and the announcer did not know who she was. Cataboula…or Cazooola. Where was the announcers cheat sheet? Her partner? The crew? Nothing about 4 year starter at Oregon, multiple all Pac-12 honors, or Sabrina’s running mate for two elite 8 runs and one final four. Nothing about WNBA with the Atlanta Dream. All that is what it is but… look at the sheet so you can at least pronounce the name right!

Reaction Score
Unbelievable incompetence from play by play announcer on the Serbia-Spain WBB. Maite Carzola comes in and turns the game around for Spain (5-6 from 3, 19 pts all in 2nd half) and the announcer did not know who she was. Cataboula…or Cazooola. Where was the announcers cheat sheet? Her partner? The crew? Nothing about 4 year starter at Oregon, multiple all Pac-12 honors, or Sabrina’s running mate for two elite 8 runs and one final four. Nothing about WNBA with the Atlanta Dream. All that is what it is but… look at the sheet so you can at least pronounce the name right!
Difference between them and Kara is night and day. Kara is still better them most of the WNBA announcers.

Reaction Score
Ok, I love table tennis :oops::oops: and this gold medal match against Chinese players (who else) was at the highest level. Quality kept rising deep into the match

Chen Meng becomes China's NINTH STRAIGHT women's table tennis champion | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports - YouTube
Yea that was fun to watch. I play and sometimes medal in the Florida Senior Games, and have gone to National Senior games, but was no threat for a medal there, but this kind of play is at an entirely different level.

Reaction Score
ICYMI from from the athletics competition this morning:

The Italian ends up literally rolling on the ground in sheer joy.
Moments later, needing to find someone to celebrate with, he'd be the first one to hug the 100m winner, Lamont Jacobs.:)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ICYMI from from the athletics competition this morning:

The Italian ends up literally rolling on the ground in sheer joy.
Moments later, needing to find someone to celebrate with, he'd be the first one to hug the 100m winner, Lamont Jacobs.:)

There are actually 3 people passed the 2.37 meter high jump. All three failed the 2.39 meter and the bronze one also failed twice in the 2.37 meter. So the other two shared the gold metal.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I saw something at the Women's weightlifting competition that surprised me.

In deciding whether a lift is legal, they have 3 judges needing to signal good. 2 of 3 is enough to secure the lift.

Well, the Ecuadorian lifter going for a lift to secure gold had a bit of a shaky lift and only got 1 of 3 positives and the lifter had a bit of a tantrum since she thought her lift was good enough.

Apparently, there is a 9 person jury onsite that can be called on to appeal and they overturned the no lift decision. So the American lifter was left with no chance for gold and finished with silver.

I just found the whole thing a little banana republic. I think she got the lift up but I thought there was a time period which you had control of the lift (I seem to recall 3 seconds?) and that was not met imo

PS. The American failed in her third lift so she would not have gotten gold anyway

Plebe

Reaction Score
I saw something at the Women's weightlifting competition that surprised me.

In deciding whether a lift is legal, they have 3 judges needing to signal good. 2 of 3 is enough to secure the lift.

Well, the Ecuadorian lifter going for a lift to secure gold had a bit of a shaky lift and only got 1 of 3 positives and the lifter had a bit of a tantrum since she thought her lift was good enough.

Apparently, there is a 9 person jury onsite that can be called on to appeal and they overturned the no lift decision. So the American lifter was left with no chance for gold and finished with silver.

I just found the whole thing a little banana republic. I think she got the lift up but I thought there was a time period which you had control of the lift (I seem to recall 3 seconds?) and that was not met imo

PS. The American failed in her third lift so she would not have gotten gold anyway
I saw this as well. Neisi Dajomes (of Ecuador) effectively clinched the gold with her 2nd clean and jerk. I actually think her outburst on her last lift started out as a celebration (she also screamed her head off when she succeeded on her 3rd snatch lift earlier) and then morphed into disappointment at the judges' "no lift" call (which was later overturned by the jury).

If you thought that was dramatic, did you see the reaction of the Korean lifter when she was "no-lifted" by the judges? That was intense.

Dajomes is a great story. She is the first Ecuadorian woman to win a gold medal (edit: any Olympic medal) EVER. And congrats to Kate Nye, who won a rare Olympic medal for the US in weightlifting.

If you watch the replay on nbcolympics.com, the analyst there does a good job of explaining these calls by the jury. It's not about holding the lift at the top a specific time, but the key components are catching the lift with a locked elbow (no "press-out" allowed, not even slightly), and demonstrating balance and control.

FWIW, it's a 5-person jury, and apparently they changed the rules so that only a majority of the jury is needed to overturn the judges' decision (previously the jury had to be unanimous to overturn).

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I saw this as well. Neisi Dajomes (of Ecuador) effectively clinched the gold with her 2nd clean and jerk. I actually think her outburst on her last lift started out as a celebration (she also screamed her head off when she succeeded on her 3rd snatch lift earlier) and then morphed into disappointment at the judges' "no lift" call (which was later overturned by the jury).

If you thought that was dramatic, did you see the reaction of the Korean lifter when she was "no-lifted" by the judges? That was intense.

Dajomes is a great story. She is the first Ecuadorian woman to win a gold medal EVER. And congrats to Kate Nye, who won a rare Olympic medal for the US in weightlifting.

If you watch the replay on nbcolympics.com, the analyst there does a good job of explaining these calls by the jury. It's not about holding the lift at the top a specific time, but the key components are catching the lift with a locked elbow (no "press-out" allowed, not even slightly), and demonstrating balance and control.

FWIW, it's a 5-person jury, and apparently they changed the rules so that only a majority of the jury is needed to overturn the judges' decision (previously the jury had to be unanimous to overturn).

Thanks for filling in the details and correcting when needed. It sounds pretty strange to me but who am I to judge.

Reaction Score
Fearless prediction re. WBB gold. As much as I hate to say it China looks to me to be the class of the field. Hope USA will prove me wrong.

Reaction Score

(CNN)New Zealand weightlifter Laurel Hubbard became the first out transgender woman to compete in the 125-year history of the Olympics on Monday as she failed to register a lift in the women's super-heavyweight +87kg category.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Fearless prediction re. WBB gold. As much as I hate to say it China looks to me to be the class of the field. Hope USA will prove me wrong.
Agreed that not enough people are talking about China, although they only narrowly beat Australia in pool play.

Several months ago, FIBA published an article of expert predictions where 2 of the 3 panel members chose China as their "surprise team" for the Tokyo Games.

If the US can avenge its exhibition loss to Australia, and if China can put away Serbia, this will be a tough semifinal game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Agreed that not enough people are talking about China, although they only narrowly beat Australia in pool play.

Several months ago, FIBA published an article of expert predictions where 2 of the 3 panel members chose China as their "surprise team" for the Tokyo Games.

If the US can avenge its exhibition loss to Australia, and if China can put away Serbia, this will be a tough semifinal game.
China and Serbia bludgeoning each other. Serbia up 35-33 at half.

Reaction Score
Nice win for the Serbs. Looked like they were giving it away in the third. But put the clamps down and then started hitting some shots. Great game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom