Gavitt proposes starting hoops season early | The Boneyard

Gavitt proposes starting hoops season early

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fortune favors the bold. Those that get out the gates first will owin eyes and market exposure that pays long term dividends. People are starving for sports.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, someone on the PC Friar Talk board posted this:

"My good friend had lunch Tuesday with Bob Hurley Sr ( Dan’s father) . UConn has cancelled their non conference hoop games. Announcement expected shortly."

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, someone on the PC Friar Talk board posted this:

"My good friend had lunch Tuesday with Bob Hurley Sr ( Dan’s father) . UConn has cancelled their non conference hoop games. Announcement expected shortly."
If that’s true it makes no sense at all. Another half measure to make people feel good.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Amazing how many people are just willing to accept deaths even if it's a small percentage
There's a lot of things in life that we are willing to accept deaths on. If that weren't the case no one would drive a car. It's just a matter of determining at what point does the benefit outweigh the possible outcome. People (not myself) are increasingly starting to favor a return to normalcy over losing lives.

Reaction Score
There's a lot of things in life that we are willing to accept deaths on. If that weren't the case no one would drive a car. It's just a matter of determining at what point does the benefit outweigh the possible outcome. People (not myself) are increasingly starting to favor a return to normalcy over losing lives.
I completely get that, we need a lot of aspects of life to open back up. But we don't "need" sports back, and beyond that we certainly don't "need" sports back with live crowds. Even with the most conservative estimates of 1 game with fans resulting in 30 people dying it's crazy to me

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I completely get that, we need a lot of aspects of life to open back up. But we don't "need" sports back, and beyond that we certainly don't "need" sports back with live crowds. Even with the most conservative estimates of 1 game with fans resulting in 30 people dying it's crazy to me
I haven't heard that yet. But if that's the case it's truly not worth it. I'm fine watching at home but I feel like sports should happen.

Reaction Score
I haven't heard that yet. But if that's the case it's truly not worth it. I'm fine watching at home but I feel like sports should happen.
There's been people in this thread saying it so that's what got me to post

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me how playing conference only games helps anything? I think it’s a ridiculous stance and the powers that be are saying it’s for safety but I do not get that premise at all. What’s the difference if we play Marquette vs syracuse?

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me how playing conference only games helps anything? I think it’s a ridiculous stance and the powers that be are saying it’s for safety but I do not get that premise at all. What’s the difference if we play Marquette vs syracuse?
It's a pretty meaningless change overall and it's more delaying the decision to cancel over anything else. But the Big East can dictate testing procedures for their own schools, but can't control anything that's done for out of conference schools

Reaction Score
Does anyone really think these student athletes will not be safer than the general population? I believe the games should be played to return to normalcy and Let the players decide if they want to play or not. If they don’t then fine. You never limit risk to zero in anything. But it seems the vaccine will be the only thing to change people’s minds.

Reaction Score
For some conferences it’s as simple as geography. Sure not all of the big East geo areas are clean, but if UConn was in a conference with a bunch of NY/MA/CT/RI schools it’s possible they could play a number of games against each other and not deal with any outbreaks

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
For some conferences it’s as simple as geography. Sure not all of the big East geo areas are clean, but if UConn was in a conference with a bunch of NY/MA/CT/RI schools it’s possible they could play a number of games against each other and not deal with any outbreaks
Is it? Because that's silly. I was under the impression that from the article it's about being able to have players under the umbrella of the conferences regulations regarding the disease. Which is also...silly. On the plus side Indiana and Illinois are two losses on our schedule anyway.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
The difference is if I die in a car accident, it doesn’t magically make everyone that drives by that accident also get into a car accident.

Reaction Score
The difference is if I die in a car accident, it doesn’t magically make everyone that drives by that accident also get into a car accident.
I think this is the key point that so many people are overlooking, the infection rate may not seem that much higher than the flu. But it makes a huge difference, even if only the "low risk" population is going to games the spread is still very scary

Reaction Score
Bottom line is there will not be a season this year. The conference only play is a bunch of BS. May have seen the last of a few guys in UConn uniform including Bouknight. Would have been a fun year. Frankly, this will still be around next year even with a vaccine and we will need to decide how comfortable we are living with it

Reaction Score
Bottom line is there will not be a season this year. The conference only play is a bunch of BS. May have seen the last of a few guys in UConn uniform including Bouknight. Would have been a fun year. Frankly, this will still be around next year even with a vaccine and we will need to decide how comfortable we are living with it
So you're saying we may miss 2 seasons in a row? That would be catastrophic. To colleges and to my mental state.

Reaction Score
So the OOC schedule might be canceled before it was finalized? Was it ever finalized? If so it was unspectacular enough to have forgotten about. Not like we’re missing out on Atlantis or Maui (sorry PC) and the conference challenges. Just away at Florida and 2 of vandy/notre dame/usc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger