Gatorade POYs (merged thread) | The Boneyard

Gatorade POYs (merged thread)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Shade and Arnold included.
Interesting. Patterson and Brady both losing out to Jrs.

Reaction Score
Our Sr recruits lost the Gatorade award to Jrs. How can someone not find that interesting?
So grade level dictates skill level for HS players 1 year apart?. When did that start happening? Apparently the Juniors body of work were better then the Seniors. Pretty simple.

Reaction Score
Hold on, my half a brain is working on… huh? What was the question? Anyhow ratings are overrated. On Ice being beat out by JuJu. Not interesting at all. Juju is much better. Not taller but better and maybe Shade is a better player than Patterson. Not taller, can’t dunk just better. Whada ya think? @meyers7 are you looking for some type g conspiracy?

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't think these are in any way meant to determine which player is the best college prospect in each state. I don't know what the criteria is, but I think it's simply the opinion of some committee which player had the best high school season. Washington's pick is not particularly highly rated, I know there are better college prospects in the state than her.

Reaction Score
I don't think these are in any way meant to determine which player is the best college prospect in each state. I don't know what the criteria is, but I think it's simply the opinion of some committee which player had the best high school season. Washington's pick is not particularly highly rated, I know there are better college prospects in the state than her.
Right, body of work for that season. No conspiracy and not every interesting. At least not to anyone with half a brain lol. All good @meyers7

Reaction Score
Awards like these are meaningless IMO. No one can see enough players enough times to possibly have insight meaningful enough to judge. I was a pretty successful HS coach for over a decade at a Catholic school and the job entailed some recruiting. One of my criteria when looking at players was, if you are interested in individual awards, this is not the school, nor am I the coach, for you.
I never cast a vote in my life for any all-anything team, I may be a lunatic about it but I just never saw the point of them, they just reward the people with the best stats. Very often, the player I thought was the most irreplaceable on my teams didn’t have stats that anyone would even notice; I always felt molding a TEAM that sacrificed and played for each other was the most rewarding part of coaching.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Ashlyn won the Gatorade POY, but Ayanna was named Miss Basketball.
I wonder what the difference is between the two. I also wonder if Patterson's team had beaten Shade's team and also won the State Tourney if Patterson would have won the POY. It does not matter to me, but I do wonder what the difference is.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I wonder what the difference is between the two. I also wonder if Patterson's team had beaten Shade's team and also won the State Tourney if Patterson would have won the POY. It does not matter to me, but I do wonder what the difference is.
Exactly. Why?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Our Sr recruits lost the Gatorade award to Jrs. How can someone not find that interesting?
Because those of us who follow this type of thing know that the process. Anyone can nominate a player including the player herself, then 40-50 members of the media, coaches, and administrators vote. The criteria are athletics, academics, and character and there’s no clear definition of the last criterion.

I’ve talked to some high school and AAU coaches who don’t think much of the award and didn’t bother to nominate their players.

Reaction Score
@HuskyNan thanks, those guys with whole brains sometime overthink things that are not very interesting.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Because those of us who follow this type of thing know that the process. Anyone can nominate a player including the player herself, then 40-50 members of the media, coaches, and administrators vote. The criteria are athletics, academics, and character and there’s no clear definition of the last criterion.

I’ve talked to some high school and AAU coaches who don’t think much of the award and didn’t bother to nominate their players.
See, that's interesting. I'm glad you agree. Not sure what the dog's problem is.

(I knew you wouldn't support anyone with "doggie" in their name. ;))

Reaction Score
See, that's interesting. I'm glad you agree. Not sure what the dog's problem is.

(I knew you wouldn't support anyone with "doggie" in their name. ;)) you old coot lol I ain’t got no problems lol.
@meyers7 you old coot lol. I ain’t got no problems! Life is good!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
@meyers7 you old coot lol. I ain’t got no problems! Life is good!
Well you seemed to have a problem with me finding something interesting. ???

But I'm glad life's good. Probably only getting better. You should wear shades.

tom-cruise-risky-business.gif

Reaction Score
Can I jump in here? Maybe a little perspective on the Gatorade players of the year....selection / process.
I always wondered how / why Stephanie White was chosen over Chamique Holdsclaw back in 1995 as Gatorade player of the year.
And I must confess, I'm employed by Gatorade.
As a huge Purdue, womens, basketball fan, I think I finally got my answer when Stephanie White was a guest speaker at a work gathering, and mentioned her father was employed by Gatorade. Finally made sense to me.
Several years later, I worked with another woman who was a Gatorade state player of the year, in another sport, and her father was also an employee of Gatorade's parent company.
So I'd venture to say, sometimes there is some local politics at play.

Reaction Score
Having lived in Indiana for a number of years, I can testify that Miss Basketball is more important than Gatorade POY. Nervertheless, it is fabulous that UConn recruits won both and are not going to ND, IU, Purdue or Kentucky. That is hugely significant and incredibly interesting.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Just because a player wins the Gatorade POY doesn't mean there aren't players that are equal, or even better. Whoever makes the biggest splash as well as the most media attention has a leg up on the competition. Let's not forget, Azzi won the national award as a Sophomore. Does that mean she was better than all the players in the 20 and 21 classes? This would include Boston and Paige. Its an honor, and gets attention, but a few players could be good enough to win, unfortunately, only one does.

Reaction Score
In regards to Gatorade POY and Indiana Miss Basketball, the latter is only for high school seniors in Indiana voted on by media and the Indiana Basketball Coaches Association. In Indiana Mr and Miss Basketball are big deals! Indiana Mr. Basketball is the longest running award of its kind in the country. There is only one winner for boys and girls across all classes. Ashlynn Shade is the huge favorite to win next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom