Gatorade names ‘24 Tyler Betsey from St. Thomas More Connecticut boys basketball Player of Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gatorade names ‘24 Tyler Betsey from St. Thomas More Connecticut boys basketball Player of Year

Reaction Score
“I want to be used in a variety of ways like running off pin downs, coming off flares and coming through elevators,” he continued. “I also want to be used in ball screens. I don’t need to do that primarily but want to have the ability to do that. Mainly shooting threes, playing defense and getting up shots is my thing. But I can be used in different ways.”

===

Hmm...I'm curious if UConn ran an offense like that enroute to their 5th national championship? And if they did, did the player who was the focus of that offense play his way into the NBA lottery?

63f7238942ce6.image.jpg

Reaction Score
Of course Duke was vague when they met him. They've offered most 5* in the Class of 2024 and he's just another number to them. He's our CT star and we need to lock him up.

I guarantee UConn isn't treating an in-state 5* like this: "'The plan was kind of vague because they’re saving the full plan for if I go on an official,' he said. 'They’ll really go in depth then.'"

What kind of staff takes a flight to a kid's house and doesn't even put together a presentation on how they would use him in their offense? That seems like Ollie-esque recruiting malpractice.

I love that he describes building an NBA game: 3s off of a bunch of actions, defense, and developing his ball screen game. That's a kid who understands his ticket to the league.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
“I want to be used in a variety of ways like running off pin downs, coming off flares and coming through elevators,” he continued. “I also want to be used in ball screens. I don’t need to do that primarily but want to have the ability to do that. Mainly shooting threes, playing defense and getting up shots is my thing. But I can be used in different ways.”

===

Hmm...I'm curious if UConn ran an offense like that enroute to their 5th national championship? And if they did, did the player who was the focus of that offense play his way into the NBA lottery?

63f7238942ce6.image.jpg
I love this quote so much.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score

===

63f7238942ce6.image.jpg
Man, this kid's intense. Like he wrote the UConn playbook himself. Fit's like a glove. 4.0 student.

Reaction Score
My two cents.. Sounds like Scheyer/Duke staff is "selling" the on-campus visit by not playing their cards too soon with Tyler--if they can get away with it. Tyler has too much visibility nationally now to not allow his recruitment to play out at his own pace. Apparently its a strategy-with risks-that Duke is willing to roll with.

Smart coaches know the decision has to be Tyler's/his family's.. Chess not checkers.. I believe UConn is playing chess.

Reaction Score
My two cents.. Sounds like Scheyer/Duke staff is "selling" the on-campus visit by not playing their cards too soon with Tyler--if they can get away with it. Tyler has too much visibility nationally now to not allow his recruitment to play out at his own pace. Apparently its a strategy-with risks-that Duke is willing to roll with.

Smart coaches know the decision has to be Tyler's/his family's.. Chess not checkers.. I believe UConn is playing chess.
At least speaking if Coach K's Duke and Calipari's Kentucky, those schools basically recruit kids like they're doing the kids a favor taking them. It seems like Scheyer is carrying on the tradition. They don't exactly make these kids feel special. They're just names with gold stars before their names.

Reaction Score

===

63f7238942ce6.image.jpg
This is in the Boneyard First Post Ever Hall of Fame.

I've mentioned this before, but I love how Hurley and the staff keep their offer list small (Betsey is just one of the five '24 prospects we've offered) to ensure that their offers are clear that they are priorities.

Of course, Duke is Duke, but Betsey is one of Duke's four SF pending offers and they've already added 6'6 195 commit Darren Harris.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is in the Boneyard First Post Ever Hall of Fame.

I've mentioned this before, but I love how Hurley and the staff keep their offer list small (Betsey is just one of the five '24 prospects we've offered) to ensure that their offers are clear that they are priorities.

Of course, Duke is Duke, but Betsey is one of Duke's four SF pending offers and they've already added 6'6 195 commit Darren Harris.
It also appears they are focusing on character in addition to need and talent. Interview after interview Hurley emphasized he wants players who buy into his program which requires dedication and commitment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom