Gas vs Electric Oven Range | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gas vs Electric Oven Range

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Trying to get a feel of what people prefer when it comes to kitchens with gas vs. electric oven ranges. Which would you prefer in your home? What do you think is more valuable to a buyer? Current realtors, home flippers, or contractors your input would be appreciated! Even if you are not in the real estate business feel free to share your thoughts. Thank you!

Reaction Score
Induction cooking is better than gas

I think it was Alton Brown on Good Eats who said induction is great because you don't lose as much energy due to the heat being transferred directly to the cookware with induction instead of being lost into the air via radiant heat that you would see in gas/electric.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We have combination propane and induction range, kind of fancy, from France- our 25 year anniversary gift to each other
Our 25th wedding anniversary is next fall and I think you have just given me a great idea.

We don't have natural gas where we live; we bought a new glass top electric range and oven when we moved in 17 years ago and Mrs. 8893 has been hankering for a replacement because it's really showing its age.

I was going to plan a nice trip but we have since agreed on Battle4Atlantis for Thanksgiving week as a family vacation and I don't think I could pull off another one so close.

Where is your propane tank? Is there a separate one just for the range, or do you use the propane for heating and/or a generator?

Reaction Score
Our French range is Lacanche, they have a showroom in NYC if you want to see them in person, lots of different sizes and colors and configurations. Our propane tank is in back of house, only device using it is the range- might add dedicated line to propane grill though.

House itself is heated with mix of heat pumps and maybe electric radiant floors, still trying to figure out best solution for downstairs. Year 3 of remodel and bank account keeps dwindling. Oh well, no kids so this is our baby.

Reaction Score
I don’t really care gas vs. electric that much, however, a gas stove usually means gas heat source... which is way better than oil. So gas it is.

Reaction Score
I'm a developer. Gas or induction are the only way to go. No one who knows how to cook wants electric. The problem that gas presents is the extra cost for the plumbing. If its a single family flip or spec house, it won't make any difference but if its a multi-build it makes a difference.

I just renovated my kitchen and I put in an induction top. I love it. Learning curve for sure but I love it. It cooks very well, is extremely fast and hot and super easy to clean.

One drawback is that induction isn't great for wok cooking.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Our French range is Lacanche, they have a showroom in NYC if you want to see them in person, lots of different sizes and colors and configurations. Our propane tank is in back of house, only device using it is the range- might add dedicated line to propane grill though.

House itself is heated with mix of heat pumps and maybe electric radiant floors, still trying to figure out best solution for downstairs. Year 3 of remodel and bank account keeps dwindling. Oh well, no kids so this is our baby.
What is the advantage of using the propane with the induction range? Are you saying some burners are gas and some are induction?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I thought about a dual fuel oven, but that would have meant running a separate line for the electricity and I didn’t think it was worth it. I ended up going with a gas convection KitchenAid and I’m very happy with it. More importantly Mrs. 82 is happy with it.

the only correct answer given so far.

Reaction Score
I'm a developer. Gas or induction are the only way to go. No one who knows how to cook wants electric. The problem that gas presents is the extra cost for the plumbing. If its a single family flip or spec house, it won't make any difference but if its a multi-build it makes a difference.

I just renovated my kitchen and I put in an induction top. I love it. Learning curve for sure but I love it. It cooks very well, is extremely fast and hot and super easy to clean.

One drawback is that induction isn't great for wok cooking.
FL..At Bed/Bath/Beyond..There is a magnetic disk product with handle from Denmark.. Because most wok cookware is not magnetic.. Effectively converts cookware from non-magnetic to magnetic..Put the disk product on top of induction and then your cookware on top of disk.. Works for us....Could be the problem..FWIW..Pretty sure All-Clad has wok cookware in their lineup..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I cannot comment on gas or induction since I only have an electric cooktop.

I have a NUWave countertop oven which gets plugged into the electric socket. It is not for entertaining a large amount of people.

I grill ground lamb and beef and recently put some peppers on the grill. The burgers came out crispy on the outside and juicy enough on the inside. To me, the burgers taste just as good as on an outdoor grill.

I even made a lamb roast on it, by lowering the grill portion. Not really expensive.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Gas is better for the stove top and electric is better for the oven.

Having gas available is a plus for sellers, but don’t overthink it - it’s not going to make a break a sale.
No gas would've been a deal breaker for me. I do most of the cooking and first thing I asked was whether there was a gas line as we loved the house otherwise.First thing we did was dump the electric range and install a Davor gas range.

I do agree on electric stove, although I think gas broilers are better than electric.

Reaction Score
Regarding Lacanche, we did the combination propane and linduction because I like the old fashion look of gas burners vs sleeker induction burners. The model we got has 4 propane burners with a simmer plate in middle (take the plate off to access 5th high heat propane burner for wok cooking). My wife wanted the 2 induction burners because she is trying to use less fossil fuel and it does cook things faster with instant temp control. The range has 2 ovens (one gas, one electric) and a 3rd warming oven. We chose the dark blue enamel color.

Only thing missing is the ovens aren’t self- cleaning, if you can believe it- just not an option!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom