Gas vs Electric Oven Range | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Gas vs Electric Oven Range

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Trying to get a feel of what people prefer when it comes to kitchens with gas vs. electric oven ranges. Which would you prefer in your home? What do you think is more valuable to a buyer? Current realtors, home flippers, or contractors your input would be appreciated! Even if you are not in the real estate business feel free to share your thoughts. Thank you!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Speaking of fireplaces. When I moved into my house I notice a little discoloration on the fireplace brick. I wondered if the prior owner had forgotten to open the flu damper. I had the fireplace check and the flu was clear. When I made my first fire, I saw that there was a slight but definite curl back of smoke into the room. Really it was more noticeable by feel rather than visually. I talked with some neighbors who had used the same builder and they had the same issue. Opening a window didn't change the issue.

I decided that the issue was likely because the fire wasn't getting hot quickly enough to get to draw the air up the flu and/or it was getting cooled in the relatively long chimney and dropping back down. My solution was to get a gas fireplace which would come up to temperature more quickly. After the install I lit up the fireplace and son of gun, though the issue was diminished it was still present. CO2 monitors said the air quality was fine, but there was definitely some heated air curling back into the room.

I researched how fireplaces work, air flow and the like and decided that the smoke chamber must be too small. I tested this theory by taping up aluminum foil across opening starting at 2" and working my way up. At 6" the the airflow was perfect and all the heated air, which combustion product, went up the chimney perfectly. It turns out that they make smoke chamber extender (black metal, with a heat resistant enamel finish) which I installed. It looks good and the flu draw is perfect.

My guess is the builder decided that a larger fireplace looked more attractive and changed the dimensions. I wish I figured that out before I converted the fireplace to gas. While is consistent and convenient, I like building and tending a fire. Still, it is easy and looks great.
We have two fireplaces that use the same chimney; they are on opposite sides of the same wall and about 10 feet away from each other. One is the main fireplace and the other one is off the kitchen. The latter has an angled and longer draw until it joins with the main chimney, and as a result it gets much more smoky unless there is already a fire going in the main fireplace, or we have to start with a very small fire and wait for the chimney to warm up enough to draw properly.

We had thought about making it a gas fireplace when we considered having propane installed, but that is much less of a consideration now.

Now we keep large candles in it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We have two fireplaces that use the same chimney; they are on opposite sides of the same wall and about 10 feet away from each other. One is the main fireplace and the other one is off the kitchen. The latter has an angled and longer draw until it joins with the main chimney, and as a result it gets much more smoky unless there is already a fire going in the main fireplace, or we have to start with a very small fire and wait for the chimney to warm up enough to draw properly.

We had thought about making it a gas fireplace when we considered having propane installed, but that is much less of a consideration now.

Now we keep large candles in it.
If you are in the mood to experiment, try taping up some aluminum foil to lengthen to firebox. I am not sure that it is the solution for you, but it will take 10 minutes to check the theory. Having done this already, try folding a length of foil in half and then taping with masking tape. It was amazing the difference it made. Half a sheet of aluminum is 6" your solution, if it is a smoke chamber issue, will likely be 4-8".

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Speaking of fireplaces. When I moved into my house I notice a little discoloration on the fireplace brick. I wondered if the prior owner had forgotten to open the flu damper. I had the fireplace check and the flu was clear. When I made my first fire, I saw that there was a slight but definite curl back of smoke into the room. Really it was more noticeable by feel rather than visually. I talked with some neighbors who had used the same builder and they had the same issue. Opening a window didn't change the issue.

I decided that the issue was likely because the fire wasn't getting hot quickly enough to get to draw the air up the flu and/or it was getting cooled in the relatively long chimney and dropping back down. My solution was to get a gas fireplace which would come up to temperature more quickly. After the install I lit up the fireplace and son of gun, though the issue was diminished it was still present. CO2 monitors said the air quality was fine, but there was definitely some heated air curling back into the room.

I researched how fireplaces work, air flow and the like and decided that the smoke chamber must be too small. I tested this theory by taping up aluminum foil across opening starting at 2" and working my way up. At 6" the the airflow was perfect and all the heated air, which combustion product, went up the chimney perfectly. It turns out that they make smoke chamber extender (black metal, with a heat resistant enamel finish) which I installed. It looks good and the flu draw is perfect.

My guess is the builder decided that a larger fireplace looked more attractive and changed the dimensions. I wish I figured that out before I converted the fireplace to gas. While is consistent and convenient, I like building and tending a fire. Still, it is easy and looks great.

This reminds me of my own funny catastrophe. Moved into this house in August. The following January we had a couple visit us, with their newly adopted baby. It was very, very cold. So, for the first time in my new house, I lit a fire. I grew up with fireplaces, and my dad put a fireplace insert in our house in Manchester that we ran all winter to help reduce heating costs. It was a lifesaver in the ice storm of 1973. So I didn't consider myself a novice.

Every fireplace I'd used had a manual flu, where you reach inside and set the damper open, part open or closed. Simple. This one has a brass knob. So I turned it a few times, assuming that must get it to full open, and started a fire. Unfortunately, I did a good job building the fire and in moments it was roaring and the room filled with smoke. Then the whole downstairs filled with smoke. We opened every window and door on a nice zero degree day as I tried to put out the fire. Eventually had to dump water on it, which mixed with ash and ran down to the carpet from our raised hearth. It took weeks to get rid of the smoke smell and hours for it to clear. Hardwood floors went in that room not long after.

Later I learned that to open the flu I have to turn that knob like 50 times (how stupid is that) as it very slowly cranks open. This was 20 years ago and my wife still gives me dirty looks if I even suggest having a fire. I definitely eye test the flu if I do.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This reminds me of my own funny catastrophe. Moved into this house in August. The following January we had a couple visit us, with their newly adopted baby. It was very, very cold. So, for the first time in my new house, I lit a fire. I grew up with fireplaces, and my dad put a fireplace insert in our house in Manchester that we ran all winter to help reduce heating costs. It was a lifesaver in the ice storm of 1973. So I didn't consider myself a novice.

Every fireplace I'd used had a manual flu, where you reach inside and set the damper open, part open or closed. Simple. This one has a brass knob. So I turned it a few times, assuming that must get it to full open, and started a fire. Unfortunately, I did a good job building the fire and in moments it was roaring and the room filled with smoke. Then the whole downstairs filled with smoke. We opened every window and door on a nice zero degree day as I tried to put out the fire. Eventually had to dump water on it, which mixed with ash and ran down to the carpet from our raised hearth. It took weeks to get rid of the smoke smell and hours for it to clear. Hardwood floors went in that room not long after.

Later I learned that to open the flu I have to turn that knob like 50 times (how stupid is that) as it very slowly cranks open. This was 20 years ago and my wife still gives me dirty looks if I even suggest having a fire. I definitely eye test the flu if I do.
Lol. That stuff always happens when you have or are about to have company. One time my wife and I had some friends coming over in about a half hour and my wife asked me to put the dishwasher on as she went up to change. There was no dishwasher soap, so I decided to use some baking soda and just a drop, half a drop really, of dish soap. Big mistake. I walked away and when I came back soap suds were spreading from the bottom of the dishwasher across the kitchen floor. I turned the dishwasher to drain and rinse and grabbed a mop. On the plus side, the dishes came out great and floor never looked better. My wife came down as I finished and said "You mopped the floor?" My reply, "Yep, how's it look?" Mrs. CL said it looked good and for years was none the wiser.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Honestly, our cooking needs probably are not sophisticated enough to warrant anything beyond the glass electric cooktop we already have, except that it doesn't look as nice now that it's almost 20 years old.
That's what we have. Honestly, if you cook more than a fried egg your needs are sophisticated enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom