Garret pushing Bryant? | The Boneyard

Garret pushing Bryant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Desmond Connor, in the Courant today, quotes Coach D as saying that Garret Anderson was pushing Bryant Shirreffs. Does that drop Boyle to #3?

Reaction Score
Desmond Connor, in the Courant today, quotes Coach D as saying that Garret Anderson was pushing Bryant Shirreffs. Does that drop Boyle to #3?

Know on Sunday...

Reaction Score
Since we know Shirreffs was taking virtually all of the snaps with the 1's all summer, if Anderson is announced as the starter, then we have the second coming of Dan O.

Villanova knows this as well so you can count on Shirreffs being named the starter. Maybe....:)

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Saw thread title, thought it was going to be about the Cowboys.

Anyway, if Anderson takes the job we know one of two things. He's either playing like a savage in practice or Shirreffs/Boyle look as bad as Boyle did in game last year.

Reaction Score
Saw thread title, thought it was going to be about the Cowboys.

Anyway, if Anderson takes the job we know one of two things. He's either playing like a savage in practice or Shirreffs/Boyle look as bad as Boyle did in game last year.

I think it's not a stretch to believe the position will be improved from top to bottom on the depth chart.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what happens on Sunday!

Reaction Score
I had figured that Sherrifs and Anderson would come out of fall practice 1 & 2. Boyle is just not elusive enough for where the O-line is right now. It's hard to believe that Anderson, being a JUCO transfer, would have the edge on Boyle who has been in the system for 3 years now but.... I'll bet those interceptions in scrimmage are what tipped the scale. That pic yesterday of the QB's has me intrigued to see what Davis could possibly turn into for next season. Hope they red shirt the kid and he doesn't lose faith in his choice of UConn. He might turn into the best one yet. Definitely loved his enthusiasm during the recruiting. The guy showed he wanted to be a leader by actively communicating with other kids who had offers. Nice to see that the depth chart(not only with the QB's) is starting to fill with better quality than in the past.

GO UCONN!! Chase them Cats right out of the Rent!

ScreenShot1314.jpg

Reaction Score
First, I agree with Jimmy. But as to the original question I wouldn't be at all surprised if Boyle is behind Anderson. They didn't bring him in just to play a numbers game. They brought him into be the backup if he didn't start.

Reaction Score
First, I agree with Jimmy. But as to the original question I wouldn't be at all surprised if Boyle is behind Anderson. They didn't bring him in just to play a numbers game. They brought him into be the backup if he didn't start.
Red Shirt Boyle. I bet.

He deserves it like every other QB. He never had the chance.

Reaction Score
rich1122 said:
Red Shirt Boyle. I bet.

He deserves it like every other QB. He never had the chance.

Don't think that I'd happening. Staff has had opportunity to watch game film for 2 seasons. Best to let him play out his eligibility in 4 years.

Reaction Score
Not a chance. We'll have Shirreffs aAnderson and Davis next year all of whom will be ahead of him. Plus 1-2 true frosh plus 2 walk-ons from the current crop. What purpose would it serve? This is what I was talking about in the other thread. If he is from New Jersey it's too bad he didn't work out. Next man up. He's from Middlefield so people want to red shirt him to no end. Most of whom by the by were calling for him to start as a true freshman. Truly a strange world view.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Not a chance. We'll have Shirreffs aAnderson and Davis next year all of whom will be ahead of him. Plus 1-2 true frosh plus 2 walk-ons from the current crop. What purpose would it serve? This is what I was talking about in the other thread. If he is from New Jersey it's too bad he didn't work out. Next man up. He's from Middlefield so people want to red shirt him to no end. Most of whom by the by were calling for him to start as a true freshman. Truly a strange world view.

You're just as insane as that crowd, being on the opposite end of the Boyle spectrum doesn't make any difference. Would you lay off the kid for crying out loud? I give him credit for sticking with the program after a) being mismanaged and b) realizing that his skill set isn't exactly what being a starting QB for this program requires. He sure bleeds more Husky Blue than you do.

Reaction Score
I'm not criticizing the kid. I'm criticizing the so-called fans who want to base the lineup on zipcodes rather than talent. You don't see this nonsense at any big time program.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not criticizing the kid. I'm criticizing the so-called fans who want to base the lineup on zipcodes rather than talent. You don't see this nonsense at any big time program.

You are crushing that strawman.

Longneck is 1000% right that he's been mismanaged.

Nobody is calling for him to even be the backup. That they hold hope that he'll be ready to contribute if he's called upon has nothing to do with his zip code - it's because he's kept working and hasn't quit and he may need to play.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Honest question... because I don't read every "swirl" thread on here...are there posters on here who have said that starters should be named based on where they are from and not based on talent?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Honest question... because I don't read every "swirl" thread on here...are there posters on here who have said that starters should be named based on where they are from and not based on talent?
No, but, if all things were equal, and they don't seem to be, HCBD would be nuts not to give the local kid the nod. Has to go with who he sees as the best at every position even if they happen to come from Denmark.

Reaction Score
A few observations -

Not naming the starter is to keep opponents guessing, not us.
RS'g Boyle is a smart move for a program, if they can. We are a program in constant search of a QB and depth at the position. We are finally addressing that.
Taking pot shots at a kid who is in his 3rd system, playing for his 3rd HC in 3 years is something I'll never understand, but some just can't stop.
Preparing Anderson is a shock to me - he didn't even start at a juco I never heard of. It could be a sign the staff wants to get the mobile guys ready for a year behind a still developing OL.
I could give a damn about zip codes. But I have seen us need 3 QBs a year since seemingly 2009 - so let's stop with the get rid of the 3rd guy stuff

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
A few observations -

Not naming the starter is to keep opponents guessing, not us.

Why not make the opponent guess right up until kickoff then as opposed to telling the opponent on Sunday prior to a Thursday game??

Reaction Score
Just pick a QB - Damn indecisive coaches!

>>We’ve been through this several times before. I think you can name a guy, but if we named a guy, and then that guy wasn’t the best performer and we had to un-name him, what good does that do?<<

>>As bad as I would like to be able to say, ‘This is our starting quarterback,’ I would like to be able to say that. That doesn’t mean we don’t have a good quarterback. It means we may have more than one quarterback, and they are both playing really well, or three guys are playing well, and it makes it difficult to make a decision.<<

;):eek:

Reaction Score
Don't think that I'd happening. Staff has had opportunity to watch game film for 2 seasons. Best to let him play out his eligibility in 4 years.
I disagree... If it's clear he's either at the same level as Anderson or a little behind him... you keep the redshirt option in play... for his own personal eligibility... In case an attrition type situation happens here, you owe the kid that much at least... it's certainly possible....

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The whole red shirt thing is silly. You don't have to name him a red shirt at the beginning of the season or anything. If all things go well he'll be eligible to red shirt. If he (and the coaches) wants the year of eligibility (here or somewhere else) then he'll get the red shirt year.

Reaction Score
If they named Shirreffs last week how does that help Nova? Nobody has seen the kid or our new offense and he hasn't played in a year! Who do you think you're fooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom