Garden thoughts | The Boneyard

Garden thoughts

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. Can we play all our games at the Garden?
  2. Now we know why Boeheim is looking for a way to get out of playing us again.
  3. They were going to dominate us inside, but we outrebounded them at both ends -- 13/11 O-board and 33/21 D-board, AND had 8 blocks to their 4.
  4. I never thought I'd type the words 'Cobb was fantastic' but damn son, he was awfully good. 13 points and 13 boards (7 offensive)! He needs to dunk some of those bunnies instead of throwing up that soft stuff though.
  5. Couldn't believe that Vital was getting grief in the chat. He played under control, shot 4 of 6 including 3 of 3 from 3, and had 2 dimes and 2 steals against 2 turnovers. That is pretty much exactly what we've been begging for from him.
  6. 5 players in double figures, and it would have been 6 if Polley hadn't missed that free throw late.
  7. The confidence by Gilbert and Jalen to hit those back to back threes from a different time zone, bookending the 2 minute mark was amazing, and really took the air out of any thoughts cuse had of making a run.
  8. Does anyone know when the last time we made a dozen threes in a game was?
  9. 22 dimes. I don't care that we had a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio. We had 22 fletching assists! Oh, and by the way, the picker's team had 10.
  10. Yakwe is not ready for the minutes he got tonight. 4 boards is encouraging, but not in the context of a 1 point, 4 turnover, 4 foul and a bunch of cyphers line in the box score. What I saw repeatedly was him getting the ball in the paint and as soon as he was covered, giving it up with a telegraphed pass. He needs to wait for the double team before passing and if it doesn't come, go up and take the shot, dammit.
  11. I really appreciate the misspelled name on the back of the coach's son's jersey. It's just a little icing on my ice cream cone.
  12. Jalen was a terror on the boards.
  13. We take care of business against Iowa tomorrow, and...

Reaction Score
Of note on the threes and never mentioned by the announcers: while Vital has flawed form he’s always good for some 3’s, Adams, Alterique, Polly, Smith and Cobb all have a good stroke. These guys should shoot well, so this isn’t total luck. Alterique in particular, has a gorgeous jumper, with Polley right there too. Shooting should be a strength most nights if these guys are confident.

Reaction Score
Ball movement. Looking to run. Playing smart. Tough D. THIS is UConn basketball.
This. Dan Hurley has this team ready to take down the zone, not in the half court and just in getting down the court before it could get set.

Reaction Score
So, one thing I was surprised at last night. When Alterique showboated and missed the layup in the first half, I was shocked he didn't get a hook and a verbal undressing.

Interesting to see him use that instance more as a "player's coach" than as a disciplinarian.

Reaction Score
I had forgotten that Vital was a NYC kid. Really happy for him last night. Always good to see our City kids do well at the Garden. Helps our recruiting there for sure.

Reaction Score
So, one thing I was surprised at last night. When Alterique showboated and missed the layup in the first half, I was shocked he didn't get a hook and a verbal undressing.

Interesting to see him use that instance more as a "player's coach" than as a disciplinarian.

He hit a three on the return after the turnover.

I think Hurley forgot about the missed dunk mistake after the shot.

AG with his shoulder history issues shouldn't be dunking

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
He hit a three on the return after the turnover.

I think Hurley forgot about the missed dunk mistake after the shot.

AG with his shoulder history issues shouldn't be dunking

And thankfully he did hit that 3 immediately after. I have a feeling Hurley will go over the game and talk to Gilbert about that showboating attempt. Gilbert's going to be an important player for UConn now that he is healthy.

Reaction Score
This team better improve their free throw shooting or their going to lose some games. If there was anything negative taken away from last nights game it was the abysmal 65% FT mark.
If you break it down it's more of a big man foul shooting problem. The guards were 12-14 from the line. In end of game situations the ball is going to be in the guards hands.

Reaction Score
need to cut the turnovers and we had some truly dumb ones that led to points. that point spread would have been easy double digits if we cut those to's in half. Even bigger with more points of the foul shots.

Reaction Score

Agreed...I was surprised as well, thought for sure he was going to get yanked.

Reaction Score

There was a break in the action after Gilbert made the 3 where you could see a brief interaction with Hurley. He gave Gilbert a look that said "I don't need to tell you how stupid that was", Gilbert acknowledged it, and that was the end of it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There was a break in the action after Gilbert made the 3 where you could see a brief interaction with Hurley. He gave Gilbert a look that said "I don't need to tell you how stupid that was", Gilbert acknowledged it, and that was the end of it.
Exactly

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom