Gampel v XL Center Records - Daily Campus | The Boneyard

Gampel v XL Center Records - Daily Campus

Reaction Score

Nice article that takes about 3 minutes to read. Biggest takeaway:

In CONFERENCE games since 2016 (excluding covid year), UConn is 9-11 at the XL Center, and 19-4 at Gampel.

The "venue doesn't matter" crowd can have fun trying to explain this one. And before you say "but we play all the better teams in Hartford", the article already covers that. We have played 7 ranked teams at home during that time span. We are 0-4 at the XL and 2-1 at Gampel.

We have to stop playing at the XL Center. We almost have a better record on the road than we do at our "home" arena. That is inexcusable. Can't wait for another empty XL Center on Tuesday at 6:30 against Marquette.

Reaction Score

Nice article that takes about 3 minutes to read. Biggest takeaway:

In CONFERENCE games since 2016 (excluding covid year), UConn is 9-11 at the XL Center, and 19-4 at Gampel.

The "venue doesn't matter" crowd can have fun trying to explain this one. And before you say "but we play all the better teams in Hartford", the article already covers that. We have played 7 ranked teams at home during that time span. We are 0-4 at the XL and 2-1 at Gampel.

We have to stop playing at the XL Center. We almost have a better record on the road than we do at our "home" arena. That is inexcusable. Can't wait for another empty XL Center on Tuesday at 6:30 against Marquette.
Here, here, Stratton Stave!!

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
The bottom line here is we have to step back and assess what the goal is here. Is the goal to get as many paying adults as possible into the stadium? Or is it to let students appreciate the greatness of their collegiate basketball teams?

I think this is a good point - and likely we, as fans, have a different POV from the business that is UCONN. The author points out, and I agree, that hooking the students on BB will make them (paying) fans in the long run. Having alumni funds incoming is critical to a school.

Reaction Score
Interesting stuff. I didnt read the article, but does the fact that we usually play the bigger games vs tougher teams in the league in Hartford have anything to do with the records?

Reaction Score
Interesting stuff. I didnt read the article, but does the fact that we usually play the bigger games vs tougher teams in the league in Hartford have anything to do with the records?
From the first post of this thread:

Reaction Score
From the first post of this thread:

He could have stopped at "I didn't read". Lol

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"If you took the people from the XL Center Tuesday and placed them in Gampel..."

That's the only way to pack Gampel on a weekday. You would have to physically take people and put them in Gampel because they don't go there voluntarily.

Reaction Score
Can someone with an insane amount of time on his or her hands please do the following: Find the average shooting percentage for UConn for each of the past 10 seasons at each venue. Find the average shooting percentage for opponents for each of those seasons, at each venue. Subtract opponents' shooting percentage from UConn's for each venue in each season. We would then have a better, though still not perfect, measuring stick to find out if UConn really shoots better at Gampel compared to XL.

I doubt anyone will have the time or will to do this, which is understandable, but short of this type of analysis, I haven't seen any actual evidence to support the claim that UConn shoots more poorly in Hartford compared to Storrs. To be clear, my "feeling" is that the team does perform better in Gampel for sure, but I like data and hate feelings.

All that said, for a hundred other reasons, I don't think UConn should play games at the XL Center, with the possible exception of one marquee matchup per season, when students are on break.

OK, so I did the last 5 years, but ignored last year because we didn't play at XL.

O. M. G. The effect expected by this board is real, and it's huge (at least over the 4 seasons analyzed)!
Gampel FG deltaGampel 3P delta
2021-2022.100.057
2019-2020-.005.000
2018-2019.060.087
2017-2018.067.153
Mean.056.074

Over the aforementioned seasons, UConn's average FG% advantage at Gampel was 5.6% better than at XL. Their relative 3P% advantage was 7.4 percent better! I am completely shocked at how stark this difference is. Granted, this doesn't say anything necessarily about wins and losses, but damn!

I am not an expert in statistics, so please feel free to critique my method. The link below will bring you to the spreadsheet I created and used for the analysis. Let me know if you have any questions regarding the methodology.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1026LdhrZANJ2AxJJm1FhuEb1qHts-FGmUEgt1qzJ9cA/edit?usp=sharing

Reaction Score
I would like to see our shooting percentages in Hartford vs. Storrs. I've heard for decades it's harder to shoot at the Civic Center/XL.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
We have a year to year lease at the XL too. We could very easily walk away from it if our AD actually values winning and restoring the student support to where it was 10 years ago.

We literally pay money to go less than .500 at "home". Disgusting.
I fully agree. Our product is significantly worse in Hartford for a number of reasons. We sacrificed our football program for basketball. It’s time to also sacrifice some bars in Hartford for basketball and save the taxpayers some money in the process. Demolish the building.

Reaction Score
I fully agree. Our product is significantly worse in Hartford for a number of reasons. We sacrificed our football program for basketball. It’s time to also sacrifice some bars in Hartford for basketball and save the taxpayers some money in the process. Demolish the building.
It's amazing they built a football stadium in East Hartford instead of on campus and they've been sinking money into the dump in Hartford for all these years. The state and University just can't get out of it's own way.

Reaction Score
I suspect that if we control for all of the independent variables (most notably opponent strength, as noted by @Kemba Time), we would find a much smaller "Gampel vs. XL success effect" than we expect (and smaller than I found in my rudimentary analysis). That said, XL sucks for so many reasons. On net, I think it would be better for everyone if all but one or two big matchups per year were played at Gampel, even if it wouldn't help our W-L results.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not saying you’re wrong, but show your work.
I made a post years ago showing that exact thing. I spent an airplane ride with the media guide and pen and paper. I'm sure the post still is up if you care to go find it. Another poster independently confirmed my findings in a separate post but I forget who that was.

Reaction Score
Anyone else notice the lack of pep band the past few games? COVID reasons? Especially at XL feel like the lack of a band really makes the place seem quieter

Reaction Score
Did UConn not play at the XL Center until 2011? I have all the data to post records since 2000 but seems weird there were no games played between 2000 and 2011

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just read Silly Steve's article, he ends The bottom line here is we have to step back and assess what the goal is here. Is the goal to get as many paying adults as possible into the stadium? Or is it to let students appreciate the greatness of their collegiate basketball teams?

I'm hoping someone can teach this guy the facts of life before he hits the real world.

Reaction Score
Is it because it was probably called the Hartford Civic Center then?
That was my first guess, but has 6 games listed for 2001 there and nothing else. Guessing College Sports Reference might just be wrong, 87 at XL and 6 at HCC versus 288 at Gampel doesn't seem right

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom